• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Interested in Ike Diogu

MaceCase

Diogu, the former Kings forward whose qualifying offer of $3.9 million was declined by Sacramento this month, is now a reluctant unrestricted free agent.

Diogu at 6'8, 260 has the ability to be a poor man's Carlos Boozer. If signed, he would be our best interior scorer if he gets fair of minutes at either power forward and center.

Diogu might not have Big Al's athleticism, but (RIGHT NOW) he has a more mature offensive skillset IN THE PAINT than either Horford and Josh Smith.

How about three years, 17 million as a competitive offer?

Diogu at 6'8, 260 has the ability to be a poor man's Carlos Boozer. If signed, he would be our best interior scorer if he gets fair of minutes at either power forward and center.

Diogu might not have Big Al's athleticism, but (RIGHT NOW) he has a more mature offensive skillset IN THE PAINT than either Horford and Josh Smith.

here's a link to his highlights..of course highlights are always good but still it shows that he is an effective low post scorer and we need one of those...NEED one desperately...

oh and i love the chub rock old school song on this one-

not to mention that we are in absolute dire need of more post players who can score.

That's my thinking. Bring in some bodies. We're like a ferris wheel here debating what "bigs" are still available and who we should get. Bottom line it's slim pickens which ever direction we go, unless we trade. So bring in whomever to add some depth to our bench.

• Premium Member

For those interested, Diogu's statistical counterparts are guys like Carl Landry, Craig Smith, Leon Powe, Brandon Bass, and even (poor man's) Paul Millsap.

An ideal backup 4, if you ask me. His biggest negatives are a mediocre DReb% and his foul rate. The latter seems to be slowly improving.

That's crazy. As soon as I saw this thread I was thinking he was similar to Leon Powe. It would be awesome to have him as a cheap backup for our team.

Gosh. I was thinking BAE money - 2 yrs, $4M total.

Ike has several teams showing interest in him (including Boston), and the Hawks need to make a competitive offer (you might add incentives that could add up to five million a year)..What's wrong with that?

Ike is a young veteran with talent and the Hawks have to roll the dice with someone. This Hawks team can't go into the 2009-10 season with the same frontcourt essentially. This team had trouble with the likes of one of the Lopez brothers from New Jersey, Big Baby Davis in Boston and others..

The Hawks need to change their frontcourt profile right now, and Ike at 6'8 260 with the offensive skillset he has would definitely do that..

Diogu wouldn't be bad, but as one person said, it would be better if he was 6'10".

Diogu would be a good addition if the Hawks can then get a 7' center go with him- ala Mihm or Voshkul. Or even cheaper Swift.

Hmm did you say a deal at 2mill per year? Now where oh where would we find exactly $2mill to pay someone.....

You know that we didn't gain an extra 2 million in cap space, right? All we got from the Rockets were real dollars, not more money to spend on players.

You know that we didn't gain an extra 2 million in cap space, right? All we got from the Rockets were real dollars, not more money to spend on players.

Ah, knew someone would interpret it that way. We have basically 6 million to play with even with Marv's deal before we hit the reduced lux tax, so basically our MLE. With regards to the "ASG is cheap" people it would be a wash paying a guy like Diogu 2 million a year when we just acquired an extra that was not there before 2 million. So basically we didn't get capspace but we did get real dollars which is what we actually pay players with so with the trade addition it comes out as 0 balance to the owners instead of -2,000,000.

Ah, knew someone would interpret it that way. We have basically 6 million to play with even with Marv's deal before we hit the reduced lux tax, so basically our MLE. With regards to the "ASG is cheap" people it would be a wash paying a guy like Diogu 2 million a year when we just acquired an extra that was not there before 2 million. So basically we didn't get capspace but we did get real dollars which is what we actually pay players with so with the trade addition it comes out as 0 balance to the owners instead of -2,000,000.

I understand that, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any confusion here from you or from anyone else who read that and saw it that way. If the extra 2 million is enough to get the owners to spend up the luxury tax then this is a good trade but we'll see.

Man, NO WAY Sund gives Diogu that kind of money for that many years knowing that he has to resign JJ and possibly extend Al next year. I'd be surprised if Gooden gets that much and I'd take Gooden over Diogu all day. Besides, Diogu stays hurt, he's only 6'8" and he won't provide any of the post D/shotblocking that this team needs from a big. $2M/season for Diogu MAX as a situational low post scorer off the bench.

My general perspective on low cost back-up big men is that you are almost never going to get someone with a complete package of skills, obviously. There is always a compromise. Some guy may have a decent low post game but chances are, if he is cheap, he is a horrible defender.

I thought BK said he wanted a banger. I assumed that meant a guy who would "bang" on defense and hit the boards. I don't think Diogu is that guy, but he does have some skills that may be useful - he would make Morris absolutely redundant though.

The one category of player that seems to be readily available at a low cost to many teams is an undersized power forward. They come in many forms, but alot of teams have a guy that can legitimately contribute (think everything from a Millsap to guys like Powe, Landry, Maxiell, Haslem (before his contract), Bass, etc.).

How does he make Morris redundant? Or does Morris have value beyond 6 fouls that no one told me about? I'd worry more about our defense with him and Zaza on the floor together...