• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks are expecting a vet big man vistor [Joe Smith] tomorrow

pimp

1.Doesn't add size

2.Not a shot blocker

3.Not a center

Guess you got to take what you can get.

Yeah, but I mean other than Gortat, who were they going to get? Given who was available at the start of the off season, a trade is the only way we would have been able to get any kind of decent center. Ben Wallace or Petro I guess somewhat fill those voids, but not really. Swift is retarded. Aaron Gray? I just don't think there was a lot available. I'll take Joe Smith.

Yeah, but I mean other than Gortat, who were they going to get? Given who was available at the start of the off season, a trade is the only way we would have been able to get any kind of decent center. Ben Wallace or Petro I guess somewhat fill those voids, but not really. Swift is retarded. Aaron Gray? I just don't think there was a lot available. I'll take Joe Smith.

I think Joe Smith would be a nice veteran presence on the team. Chapeau to Sund if he can get him signed to a reasonable deal.

• Premium Member

I saw Smith in person vs. the Hawks in Atlanta last year, and he basically played the role of center for the Thunder. He's not going to fix all the Hawks' problems, but he'd be a terrific addition to the rotation.

I'd offer him a two-year contract.

Nesterovic would have been a better option than Joe Smith. Also, Ben Wallace.

Nesterovic would have been a better option than Joe Smith. Also, Ben Wallace.

And again I ask all of you that think a center would be a better option than a PF .... who is going to play the backup PF spot for us? Right now you guys are wanting to go 3 deep at center and only 1 deep at PF and I really do not understand that. The only plan I've heard was to have Horford back up the 4 but I hate that idea since it keeps him from getting rest and keeps up from having fresh players on the court.

And again I ask all of you that think a center would be a better option than a PF .... who is going to play the backup PF spot for us? Right now you guys are wanting to go 3 deep at center and only 1 deep at PF and I really do not understand that. The only plan I've heard was to have Horford back up the 4 but I hate that idea since it keeps him from getting rest and keeps up from having fresh players on the court.

If he is kept, Marvin play some PF.... JJ play some 3.... Crawford play SG.

If he is kept, Marvin play some PF.... JJ play some 3.... Crawford play SG.

That's what I keep hearing, you guys want to rotate starters over just so we can have that 3rd center sit on the bench? Do you REALLY want Woodson managing these minutes in this manner when we have an option to get a quality player to fill a hole that makes us 2 deep at every position?

I'm thankful that the Hawks appear to see the need for a backup PF as being the priority rather than a 3rd string center. Of course I do want us to sign 1 more center but not until we have solidified the backup PF spot and I hope that Joe Smith is given that opportunity by us and accepts it.

I think the reasoning is that Marvin, Smith and Horford can both play PF effectively.

We only have 2 guys (ZaZa and Horford) who can play center effectively.

There are nights where ZaZa and Horford really struggle with bigger centers and get in foul trouble. A banger would be nice.

That being said...........I would be thrilled with Joe Smith. I think his vet savy is just what we need and think he could do wonders, as a mentor, for Smoove.

• Like 1

I think the reasoning is that Marvin, Smith and Horford can both play PF effectively.

We only have 2 guys (ZaZa and Horford) who can play center effectively.

There are nights where ZaZa and Horford really struggle with bigger centers and get in foul trouble. A banger would be nice.

That being said...........I would be thrilled with Joe Smith. I think his vet savy is just what we need and think he could do wonders, as a mentor, for Smoove.

I can understand that line of thinking, but if I had my choice I'd prefer to be more traditional and have a solid backup at every position so that we can get our starters as much rest as possible. I hate how many minutes our guys play and a lot of it has to do with them being asked to move from position to position backing each other up and of course that means that Woodson has to manage those minutes effectively and for what he's been asked to do in that regard he's done a respectable job but I'd rather remove that as an obstacle for the team by having a qualified backup for each position. If Smoove gets in early foul trouble I don't want Marvin or Horford having to rotate over, I want to bring in a Joe Smith type of player to fill in that way Marvin and Horford can get their rest at a regular interval and then they can each have their own unique backup. Of course there are times when guys can switch positions but I'd rather that be a luxury than a necessity.

Some people on this board are plain dumb......

Wtf is wrong with bringing Joe Smith in?

You would rather have Ben Wallace than Smith?Big Ben can barely walk... He was a better player than Smith in his prime, but not these days though...

Petro? Swift? oh pls there is a reason nobody wants them even though they are in their "prime".....

I like how you guys want to get a Shaq in his prime caliber center for 2 mil a year to come of the bench.... GTFO.....

Cavs fans were excited when they got Joe in mid season, but Hawks fans are looking for "bigger" things... lol

That's what I keep hearing, you guys want to rotate starters over just so we can have that 3rd center sit on the bench? Do you REALLY want Woodson managing these minutes in this manner when we have an option to get a quality player to fill a hole that makes us 2 deep at every position?

I'm thankful that the Hawks appear to see the need for a backup PF as being the priority rather than a 3rd string center. Of course I do want us to sign 1 more center but not until we have solidified the backup PF spot and I hope that Joe Smith is given that opportunity by us and accepts it.

This team has 6 players that are going to expect to play big minutes... Plus Mo Evans and a rookie that we hope can get minutes this season. So there will be some rotating. I'd prefer to trade for Kaman or somebody and move Al to PF.

Some people on this board are plain dumb......

Wtf is wrong with bringing Joe Smith in?

You would rather have Ben Wallace than Smith?Big Ben can barely walk... He was a better player than Smith in his prime, but not these days though...

Petro? Swift? oh pls there is a reason nobody wants them even though they are in their "prime".....

I like how you guys want to get a Shaq in his prime caliber center for 2 mil a year to come of the bench.... GTFO.....

Cavs fans were excited when they got Joe in mid season, but Hawks fans are looking for "bigger" things... lol

No one here is plain dumb..what an assinine comment to make. Joe Smith is a proven backup but there a couple of other free agents that have different skill sets. I don't think anyone here would have a heart attack if we signed Joe; just some value players such as Powe and Ike a little more.

And who is to say we can't get two?

I can understand that line of thinking, but if I had my choice I'd prefer to be more traditional and have a solid backup at every position so that we can get our starters as much rest as possible. I hate how many minutes our guys play and a lot of it has to do with them being asked to move from position to position backing each other up and of course that means that Woodson has to manage those minutes effectively and for what he's been asked to do in that regard he's done a respectable job but I'd rather remove that as an obstacle for the team by having a qualified backup for each position. If Smoove gets in early foul trouble I don't want Marvin or Horford having to rotate over, I want to bring in a Joe Smith type of player to fill in that way Marvin and Horford can get their rest at a regular interval and then they can each have their own unique backup. Of course there are times when guys can switch positions but I'd rather that be a luxury than a necessity.

The problem is that ZaZa adds nothing as far as defense and shot blocking goes. For a backup, Ben Wallace would be the best as you can play him as a 4 or 5.

This team has 6 players that are going to expect to play big minutes... Plus Mo Evans and a rookie that we hope can get minutes this season. So there will be some rotating. I'd prefer to trade for Kaman or somebody and move Al to PF.

6 players that are going to expect to play big minutes? I guess that depends on your definition of big minutes but I expect that all 8 of these guys will get at least 20 minutes per game. Of this list only Zaza at 19mpg was under 20 last year.

Bibby

JJ

Marvin

Smith

Horford

Zaza

Crawford

Mo

Then if we sign a backup PF like Joe Smith I also expect him to get 20 minutes per game so we're talking 9 guys that will be able to give us good minutes. Teague should also be able to give us 10-15 minutes per game unless we sign another PG, which I don't expect.

Moving Al to starting PF just scares me to death. Last season it was our improved 3 pt and outside shooting that really got us into the 4th spot. We move Al to PF, Kaman to center, and I guess it has to be Smoove to SF ...we regress offensively once again. Also FT shooting was a blatant weakness last year and it only gets worse with that lineup...

I feel you for wanting a true 7 footer at the 5 but I just don't see a player like Kaman being the answer.

Edited by Buzzard

The problem is that ZaZa adds nothing as far as defense and shot blocking goes. For a backup, Ben Wallace would be the best as you can play him as a 4 or 5.

No Zaza won't offer much defensively and I'd be happy to sign Wallace as our 3rd center and have him switch with Zaza depending on the match up but we need someone off the bench that can score in the post. Right now we have nobody that can do that aside from Zaza getting put backs. To me that's more important than post defense and at the same time while Joe Smith isn't a great defensive player he is sound fundamentally and he'll hustle and he'll be a better defender than Zaza. He's also a terrific rebounder and I can't stress enough the importance for us to improve in that area as well as being able to score in the post which is critical in the playoffs. You also need to keep in mind that right now we're quite a bit better defensively than we are offensively and that needs to become more balanced. At worst Joe Smith helps to keep the status quo defensively while at the same time making us a better offensive team.

Moving Al to starting PF just scares me to death. Last season it was our improved 3 pt and outside shooting that really got us into the 4th spot. We move Al to PF, Kaman to center, and I guess it has to be Smoove to SF ...we regress offensively once again. Also FT shooting was a blatant weakness last year and it only gets worse with that lineup...

I feel you for wanting a true 7 footer at the 5 but I just don't see a player like Kaman being the answer.

I agree with you and I cannot see a scenario where the Hawks trade for a true center unless either Horford or Smith is included.

Josh is going to play how he is going to play regardless of the position. This team is not going to win anything with a Josh/Marvin/Al front line. It's never going to happen. Josh presents a lot of weaknesses also. He does. That's why I'm open to trade him or Marvin. One of these two guys need to go. This line up the team currently has can only get them the 4th spot anytime soon. Honestly, I think this team is going to slip out of 4th spot. If Gilbert stays healthy and the Washington plays to it's potential, they could swipe 4th seed this year. Depending on how much Rose improves, Chicago could also be a threat this year.

I agree with you and I cannot see a scenario where the Hawks trade for a true center unless either Horford or Smith is included.

So be it.

No Zaza won't offer much defensively and I'd be happy to sign Wallace as our 3rd center and have him switch with Zaza depending on the match up but we need someone off the bench that can score in the post. Right now we have nobody that can do that aside from Zaza getting put backs. To me that's more important than post defense and at the same time while Joe Smith isn't a great defensive player he is sound fundamentally and he'll hustle and he'll be a better defender than Zaza. He's also a terrific rebounder and I can't stress enough the importance for us to improve in that area as well as being able to score in the post which is critical in the playoffs. You also need to keep in mind that right now we're quite a bit better defensively than we are offensively and that needs to become more balanced. At worst Joe Smith helps to keep the status quo defensively while at the same time making us a better offensive team.

Joe Smith doesn't help this team get closer to the big 3. Joe will do some things, but teams haven't found him valuable enough to keep as he has played for half the league. Plus he is old.

Joe Smith doesn't help this team get closer to the big 3. Joe will do some things, but teams haven't found him valuable enough to keep as he has played for half the league. Plus he is old.

Do you know how you get closer to the big 3? You add quality depth and you continue to grow from within with your younger players. Our young players have not peaked yet and they aren't even close. They will continue to get better but we need to surround them with quality veteran players and solid depth. Joe Smith accomplishes all of that. And if he wasn't valuable why did the Cavs and Celtics both try so hard to get him last year?

Plus he's not that old, he'll be 34 in 4 days. Compare that to Shaq who just turned 37.