• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Josh Smith USA exhibition game

lvhawk07

Like the original poster said, for Josh Smith, it is all about focus. When he is focused, he is a different player...he also plays with more intensity when he is focused. He has to learn to stay focused for the whole game.

Also, people say that Josh Smith is a bad three point shooter and while I agree his talents do not lend themselves well to taking perimeter shots, he is actually just slightly below average for an NBA Player. He actually compares well to some top NBA perimeter players who take more shots than he does:

'08-'09 Stats (3 Pt Shooting %):

Josh Smith 30%

Tony Parker 30%

Chris Paul 36%

Baron Davis 37%

With time and practice, I think he could shot their percentages.

None of thoese guys are consistently wide open like Smith and 30% isnt close to 36%.

Edited by exodus

30% on 3pt shots = 45% efg%

37% on 3pt shots = 56% efg%

That is a very big difference.

As other pointed out, though, it is as much or more the 2pt jump shots that emphasize how much work Smith still needs as a jump shooter. If you compare Tony Parker's (awful 3pt shooter, good mid-range shooter) 2pt jump shots to Smith's you will see there is a huge difference.

Also, it is much more problematic to have your PF at the 3pt line and out of rebounding position than to have your PG out there.

It's even worse when you consider every jump shot Smith takes is wide wide WIDE open. He has all day to set his feet and get comfortable.

Josh wasn't always around the 3 point line during the game. He did look for the ball in the post but they didn't give it to him a lot. I remember on one play he got the ball on the posted up on his man and passed the ball when help came for an easy 2. On another play he got the ball and did a nice up and under move and got around his man for an easy 2. It really wasn't his fault he didn't stay down in the post because he wasn't really getting looked at down there. Russell Westbrook would always look to give the ball the Durant the ball or look for his own shot. It really didn't look like he wanted to give Josh the ball. I also want to point out that Coach Woodson was in the audience watching the game.

Some blurbs I found posted on Hoopinion

John Schuhmann at NBA.com:

It wasn't a good camp for Smith, but he salvaged it a bit in the second half on Saturday, with some hustle plays, a huge block and a nice drive around Jeff Green. Still, he can't shoot, and that can't be ignored.

@johnschuhmann:

Didn't distinguish himself enough defensively, shot poorly and turned it over too much. Not a good 3 days.

Not a glowing endorsement but hopefully this only makes Josh work harder.