• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pops Mensah-Bonsu

GameTime

Joe Smith answers those needs, along with others.

If you want to sign Pops after you sign Joe Smith then that's fine but what I want to know is why you think the Hawks would sign him when they just let a very comparable and younger player go without so much as a whisper about it?

Joe is not nearly the rebounder that Pops is. And Joe is steadily declining. But he is smart and good at defense (taking charges, etc.) and has a good jumper so I would be happy for him to be here. I don't see Joe Smith leaving such a powerhouse contender (Cleveland Cavs) in his last chances of winning a ring though. And all the rest of the vets are either gone or don't want to play for us. So we need to get any decent big we can no matter how young they are.

Edited by GameTime

Joe is not nearly the rebounder that Pops is. And Joe is steadily declining. But he is smart and good at defense (taking charges, etc.) and has a good jumper so I would be happy for him to be here. I don't see Joe Smith leaving such a powerhouse contender (Cleveland Cavs) in his last chances of winning a ring though. And all the rest of the vets are either gone or don't want to play for us. So we need to get any decent big we can no matter how young they are.

And you are judging this based on the 134 rebounds he has IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER? Now compare that to Joe Smith's 6,937 rebounds and it seems like a bit of a silly statement for you to make. Smith has a CAREER AVERAGE of 6.7 rebounds, so in 20 games he'd the same amount of rebounds that Pops has had in his entire career. There is a reason why he is available (I assume that he's a FA based on this thread) and why he continues to bounce around the league and it's because he doesn't have much value.

This is the reality that no one here wants to accept.

Love the negativity from you.

There is a reason why he is available (I assume that he's a FA based on this thread) and why he continues to bounce around the league and it's because he doesn't have much value.

Actually he is a restricted free agent and Raptors fans are avid on keeping him. But pretty much if he is given an offer sheet from anyone he is gone.

And you are judging this based on the 134 rebounds he has IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER? Now compare that to Joe Smith's 6,937 rebounds and it seems like a bit of a silly statement for you to make. Smith has a CAREER AVERAGE of 6.7 rebounds, so in 20 games he'd the same amount of rebounds that Pops has had in his entire career.

Pops is a better rebounder than Joe Smith now. Joe was maybe just as good (maybe even better though stats don't prove such)5-10 years ago but that doesn't matter much now. As said before getting Joe Smith isn't likely if he wants to win a ring (Which the Cavs have a strong possibility to do). But if we can get him he will be a good addition. Career numbers really do not matter much (It does as far as statistical consistent pattern) as far as production he is going to give us this year at his age. What he did years and years ago when he was younger doesn't really matter much now to us. If they did we should call Dikembe out of retirement and get him to retire as a Hawk after playing with us for a year.

Edited by GameTime

It's probably not as funny to anyone else, but I've been snickering about this line all day long.

My favorite is when someone starts a thread to make a comment about the subject matter in another thread.

It happens more often then most of you realize.

Actually he is a restricted free agent and Raptors fans are avid on keeping him. But pretty much if he is given an offer sheet from anyone he is gone.

Pops is a better rebounder than Joe Smith now. Joe was maybe just as good (maybe even better though stats don't prove such)5-10 years ago but that doesn't matter much now. As said before getting Joe Smith isn't likely if he wants to win a ring (Which the Cavs have a strong possibility to do). But if we can get him he will be a good addition. Career numbers really do not matter much (It does as far as statistical consistent pattern) as far as production he is going to give us this year at his age. What he did years and years ago when he was younger doesn't really matter much now to us. If they did we should call Dikembe out of retirement and get him to retire as a Hawk after playing with us for a year.

Let's look at Joe Smith compared as a rebounder to our current bigs last year using "Rebound Rate" which is a very useful and fair measurement of a players rebounding production factoring in many things.

Rebound Rate is the percentage of missed shots that a player rebounds. Rebound Rate = (100 x (Rebounds x Team Minutes)) divided by [Player Minutes x (Team Rebounds + Opponent Rebounds)]

ORR - offensive rebound rate

DRR - defensive rebound rate

RR - rebound rate

Joe Smith: 9.5 ORR, 18.3 DRR and 13.9 RR

Al Horford: 7.6 ORR, 25.0 DRR and 16.3 RR

Josh Smith: 6.5 ORR, 17.6 DRR and 12.1 RR

Zaza Pachulia: 13.8 ORR, 20.9 DRR and 17.4 RR

I don't know where Pops would be in these ratings because he doesn't play enough minutes but you can clearly see that Joe Smith is still quite capable as a rebounder and especially as an offensive rebounder which this team needs in a big way.

Let's look at Joe Smith compared as a rebounder to our current bigs last year using "Rebound Rate" which is a very useful and fair measurement of a players rebounding production factoring in many things.

Rebound Rate is the percentage of missed shots that a player rebounds. Rebound Rate = (100 x (Rebounds x Team Minutes)) divided by [Player Minutes x (Team Rebounds + Opponent Rebounds)]

ORR - offensive rebound rate

DRR - defensive rebound rate

RR - rebound rate

Joe Smith: 9.5 ORR, 18.3 DRR and 13.9 RR

Al Horford: 7.6 ORR, 25.0 DRR and 16.3 RR

Josh Smith: 6.5 ORR, 17.6 DRR and 12.1 RR

Zaza Pachulia: 13.8 ORR, 20.9 DRR and 17.4 RR

I don't know where Pops would be in these ratings because he doesn't play enough minutes but you can clearly see that Joe Smith is still quite capable as a rebounder and especially as an offensive rebounder which this team needs in a big way.

In addition, how many of Pops' rebounds come off his own misses? If half your 5.1 RBG are offensive rebounds (2.5 OFF v 2.6 DEF) and you only shoot 38% from the field, I have to wonder if a significant number of those rebounds didn't come off his own misses (no Zaza jokes please :biggrin: )