• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Josh Smith poll

exodus

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

Diesel claims in this thread

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php?showtopic=338436&st=20

that Josh Smith doesn't post up. What say you?

Your attempt to taint the poll is funny to me.

I'm glad that there are some honest people. However, Dol, when I say post up, I'm talking about more than just that one rare occasion when he just tries something.

For those who need definition...

Get Position

Before you can make a move on the low post, you have to be able to get the ball first. You want to post-up, or receive the ball, along the free throw lane, between the center hash marks, above the low block. If you get the ball down too low, you will not have a good angle for the baseline drop-step move. And you do not want to post up in the lane, or you may get the three-second call. You may have to fight hard to get into position to receive a safe pass. Get strong, feet wide apart, butt out, back straight. Seal the defender off. If the defender is over-playing you from one side, keep that arm and elbow firm to ward him/her off, while extending the opposite arm and hand to make a good target for the passer. When the pass comes, move toward it, to meet it. After receiving the ball, keep it up at forehead level with elbows out, to protect it. Do not actually throw an elbow, just keep them out to ward off the defender.

When receiving the pass, it is advantageous to meet the ball with a jump stop. When you jump stop, you have the option of either foot becoming your pivot foot, so you can make a move either way, to the lane or to the baseline. Fake with your upper body, but keep the feet planted until you are ready to make your move. With a one-two foot landing, you have already established your pivot foot and your options are more limited.

If Smoove could do this, our offense would be awesome. I hope that Smoove learns how to do this consistently. But he doesn't do this.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of times that I've saw Josh Smith post up, he was very successful.

Edited by ATLNY7

• Premium Member

Most of times that I've saw Josh Smith post up, he was very successful.

If he's posting up 1 time or less than 1 time a game, then he's not posting up.

Ex doesn't know the difference between posting up and facing up. Post means that you're using your posterior for position. Smoove doesn't do that. Not often.

If he's posting up 1 time or less than 1 time a game, then he's not posting up.

Ex doesn't know the difference between posting up and facing up. Post means that you're using your posterior for position. Smoove doesn't do that. Not often.

So if a guy catches the ball in the post and is 5 feet away from the rim, then pivots and faces up. that isn't a post up? OK

I guess Smith isn't shooting 3s either.

I don't consider that to be posting up if he turns around and faces up as soon as he catches the ball since at that point he's again using his quickness to beat someone off the dribble rather than backing him down and using traditional post moves.

This is what Smith does all the time.

However he does have a move where he backs up an opponent and usually does a hook shot or something of that sort.

( lol . . I knew I shouldn't have ever mentioned Horford )

When I talk about Smith's and Horford's post up, I'm not talking about whose post up is better. I'm strictly talking about HOW and WHERE they post up.

When Horford posts up, he usually tries to get in that 10 feet and in area, and makes himself a big enough target to receive the ball. His hand is up and he usally has some body contact with the defender when he catches the ball.

You're right about Horford banging into people when he gets the ball in that area, and usually throwing up a tough shot that he probably won't make. He needs a go-to post move of his own, to make him a nore potent threat down om the low block.

When Smith "posts up", he usually receives the ball at the elbow of the FT line ( 14 - 18 feet from the basket.. ) On some occasions, his back is back to the basket, and his hand is up to receive the ball . . . so technically, that is a post up.

Most of the time though, the Hawks are going through a play, and throw the ball to Smith ( without any resistance ), when he flashes up to the elbow.

I guess the major difference, is that when Smith catches the ball that far away from the basket, defenders aren't all up on him when he does turn to face the basket. In fact, they back off of him, hoping that he'll take that 15 - 17 foot jumper that he normally misses.

Early in games, he'll almost always shoot the jumpshot from that range. If he misses a few, or if Woody gets onto him, that's when you'll see him start driving the ball to the hole, even when his man backs off of him.

( lol . . I knew I shouldn't have ever mentioned Horford )

When I talk about Smith's and Horford's post up, I'm not talking about whose post up is better. I'm strictly talking about HOW and WHERE they post up.

When Horford posts up, he usually tries to get in that 10 feet and in area, and makes himself a big enough target to receive the ball. His hand is up and he usally has some body contact with the defender when he catches the ball.

You're right about Horford banging into people when he gets the ball in that area, and usually throwing up a tough shot that he probably won't make. He needs a go-to post move of his own, to make him a nore potent threat down om the low block.

When Smith "posts up", he usually receives the ball at the elbow of the FT line ( 14 - 18 feet from the basket.. ) On some occasions, his back is back to the basket, and his hand is up to receive the ball . . . so technically, that is a post up.

Most of the time though, the Hawks are going through a play, and throw the ball to Smith ( without any resistance ), when he flashes up to the elbow.

I guess the major difference, is that when Smith catches the ball that far away from the basket, defenders aren't all up on him when he does turn to face the basket. In fact, they back off of him, hoping that he'll take that 15 - 17 foot jumper that he normally misses.

Early in games, he'll almost always shoot the jumpshot from that range. If he misses a few, or if Woody gets onto him, that's when you'll see him start driving the ball to the hole, even when his man backs off of him.

15-17 feet is where Horford catches the ball the majority of the time. Most of the time his man is 5 feet or more off him. The difference between Horford and Smith is that Smith actually tries to do something with the ball.

It is easy for Horford to get good position in the post because the defense has no reason to deny him position. If anything it would be to their advantage to let Horford catch the ball in the post as often as possible.

• Premium Member

15-17 feet is where Horford catches the ball the majority of the time. Most of the time his man is 5 feet or more off him. The difference between Horford and Smith is that Smith actually tries to do something with the ball.

It is easy for Horford to get good position in the post because the defense has no reason to deny him position. If anything it would be to their advantage to let Horford catch the ball in the post as often as possible.

Molehill, it's obvious that you don't know the difference between high post and low post.. nor do you know the diference between post up and face up. You're trying to claim that Smoove facing up in the high post (at the elbow.. at that) and blowing past his man is a post up move? My high school basketball coach would make you run suicides on the football field for saying something so asinine. I would hate to see how you define slashers?

Molehill, it's obvious that you don't know the difference between high post and low post.. nor do you know the diference between post up and face up. You're trying to claim that Smoove facing up in the high post (at the elbow.. at that) and blowing past his man is a post up move? My high school basketball coach would make you run suicides on the football field for saying something so asinine. I would hate to see how you define slashers?

I have been talking about post play, high and low.

Facing up is part of post play. If you knew anything about the game you would know that the defender isn't allowed to touch the offensive player when he faces up. I guess Tim Duncan isn't posting up when he catches the ball in the post, faces up and shoots his patented bank shot.

• Premium Member

I have been talking about post play, high and low.

Molehill,

That's a lie. You based this whole poll on what I said right?

Well, I clarified things pretty well for you back here....

We separated things done in the inside and low post from his slashing from the high post Back in that post #23.

Why are you changing now?

Are you telling me that you don't understand the definition of "INSIDE"?

Keep it up Molehill...

Your integrity is taking a serious beating.

Molehill,

That's a lie. You based this whole poll on what I said right?

Well, I clarified things pretty well for you back here....

We separated things done in the inside and low post from his slashing from the high post Back in that post #23.

Why are you changing now?

Are you telling me that you don't understand the definition of "INSIDE"?

Keep it up Molehill...

Your integrity is taking a serious beating.

Your exact words from that link..

Smith doesn't post up.

He doesn't post up anybody because he doesn't have a post up game yet.

You never made any mention of "high post" or "low post". Try, or lie, again.

• Premium Member

Your exact words from that link..

You never made any mention of "high post" or "low post". Try, or lie, again.

Uhm... Gord... Somethings are understood when talking about basketball. I think the only one who doesn't get that is you. If I'm talking about post up on the inside... it's Obvious, I'm talking about LOW POST. I haven't seen many examples of somebody posting up on the inside from the high post. Molehill, why am I wasting time educating you? It's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about and you're trying to pick a new molehill to hide your ignorance.

Most people here... even Crawful knows that Smoove doesn't post up (in the lowpost.... sadly, this must be pointed out to you)... enough. Like I said before, if Smoove had post up moves or a post up game, nobody would complain about his offense (even the 1 3 pter he takes per game) and our offense would be much better.

Uhm... Gord... Somethings are understood when talking about basketball. I think the only one who doesn't get that is you. If I'm talking about post up on the inside... it's Obvious, I'm talking about LOW POST. I haven't seen many examples of somebody posting up on the inside from the high post. Molehill, why am I wasting time educating you? It's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about and you're trying to pick a new molehill to hide your ignorance.

Most people here... even Crawful knows that Smoove doesn't post up (in the lowpost.... sadly, this must be pointed out to you)... enough. Like I said before, if Smoove had post up moves or a post up game, nobody would complain about his offense (even the 1 3 pter he takes per game) and our offense would be much better.

Fact is you never said high post or low post. Secondly Smith absolutely does post up in the low post, especially on the right side where he spins to the middle and puts up his jump hook from in front of the basket.

Since you have been dodging the question i will ask again. How is Smith scoring 15+ ppg shooting 49% if he can't dribble, can't shoot and doesn't post up?