• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

My take on the Hawks Center Position

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

It is obvious that Al Horford is the starting center for the Hawks, that I don't any problem with. The problem I am having is WHY did the Hawks resign ZaZa Pachulia??? There were plenty of free agent bigs out there - McDyess, Gooden, Wilcox, Nesterovich, and others out there that are better players. Zaza has no lateral movement, can't shoot a lick, can't play defense, I will say that he does hustle on a positive note. Hustle is a good thing but you need other skills at this level to go with the hustle aspect. Ever wonder why the writers don't give the Hawks the respect in the offseason? Let's see, what was the Hawks biggest need in the offseason? A big man? Did we get a big man? The Hawks will not move up in the eastern conference until we can play interior defense. Why didn't we let ZaZa walk and throw money at McDyess who would have provided defense and rebounding and while not in his prime is light years ahead of ZaZa.

I have the simple answer. Just like the Braves the Hawks ownership is a cheap organization. Do they want to win? Yes Do they want to do what it takes to win? No.

Look what they have done in the offseason - resigned their own players - wchich can be good - but DID NOT go out and get the veteran big they needed. Look how much money they saved on resigning Bibby, why wasn't that used to get a vet big. They wouldn't even spend a couple of mil onAnderson and sent his rights to Houston.

I get more frustrated every offseason. Next offseason I will expect nothing so I want be so disappointed.

• Premium Member

It is obvious that Al Horford is the starting center for the Hawks, that I don't any problem with. The problem I am having is WHY did the Hawks resign ZaZa Pachulia??? There were plenty of free agent bigs out there - McDyess, Gooden, Wilcox, Nesterovich, and others out there that are better players. Zaza has no lateral movement, can't shoot a lick, can't play defense, I will say that he does hustle on a positive note. Hustle is a good thing but you need other skills at this level to go with the hustle aspect. Ever wonder why the writers don't give the Hawks the respect in the offseason? Let's see, what was the Hawks biggest need in the offseason? A big man? Did we get a big man? The Hawks will not move up in the eastern conference until we can play interior defense. Why didn't we let ZaZa walk and throw money at McDyess who would have provided defense and rebounding and while not in his prime is light years ahead of ZaZa.

I have the simple answer. Just like the Braves the Hawks ownership is a cheap organization. Do they want to win? Yes Do they want to do what it takes to win? No.

Look what they have done in the offseason - resigned their own players - wchich can be good - but DID NOT go out and get the veteran big they needed. Look how much money they saved on resigning Bibby, why wasn't that used to get a vet big. They wouldn't even spend a couple of mil onAnderson and sent his rights to Houston.

I get more frustrated every offseason. Next offseason I will expect nothing so I want be so disappointed.

Zaza is a decent rebounder. He is also the guy that we have that will consistently attack the basket.

I think our problem is having both Horford and Smith. Horf should get a good look at pF and I don't know if C is his best position. However, Smoove has earned his time on the floor (regardless of where he plays). There is no easy answer, but in the meanwhile, mentally, we are not ready to accept a C. We could have had the best in the class this offseason and we would not have been comfortable playing him. Our fanbase gets very comfortable with a flawed starting 5 and we're not willing to consider better options. e.g. Crawford. Crawford is not a bad player but our fanbase will come up with reasons why he shouldn't be starting. Things as silly as Joe will lose his advantage if he plays SF. Well, we see the same thing with our PF logjam. How many times have I heard that Horford is not a good PF? I betcha if you put him on a team with a real C, he will be a great PF.

I'd rather have Zaza than any of those guys.

I wondered myself why he wanted to replace our only center with 3 of those guys that aren't centers and I find it laughbale the only center he mentioned would have better lateral quickness than Zaza.

The Hawks had Z's Bird rights, which means the team could go over the cap to sign him. Renouncing him would not have created enough room under the cap to sign McDyess and others.

Z is a fine b-u center. If he was better, he'd be a starter and received more FA interest.

I agree that the Hawks need another rebounder and/or a post scorer with size to round out the roster, though.

The Hawks had Z's Bird rights, which means the team could go over the cap to sign him. Renouncing him would not have created enough room under the cap to sign McDyess and others.

Z is a fine b-u center. If he was better, he'd be a starter and received more FA interest.

I agree that the Hawks need another rebounder and/or a post scorer with size to round out the roster, though.

i also would rather have him than all those guys.

• Admin

Zaza is a decent rebounder. He is also the guy that we have that will consistently attack the basket.

I think our problem is having both Horford and Smith. Horf should get a good look at pF and I don't know if C is his best position. However, Smoove has earned his time on the floor (regardless of where he plays). There is no easy answer, but in the meanwhile, mentally, we are not ready to accept a C. We could have had the best in the class this offseason and we would not have been comfortable playing him. Our fanbase gets very comfortable with a flawed starting 5 and we're not willing to consider better options. e.g. Crawford. Crawford is not a bad player but our fanbase will come up with reasons why he shouldn't be starting. Things as silly as Joe will lose his advantage if he plays SF. Well, we see the same thing with our PF logjam. How many times have I heard that Horford is not a good PF? I betcha if you put him on a team with a real C, he will be a great PF.

The simple reason Crawford should not be starting is because Marvin/Joe is a better option then Joe/Jamal.

• Moderators

Our fanbase gets very comfortable with a flawed starting 5 and we're not willing to consider better options. e.g. Crawford. Crawford is not a bad player but our fanbase will come up with reasons why he shouldn't be starting. Things as silly as Joe will lose his advantage if he plays SF. Well, we see the same thing with our PF logjam. How many times have I heard that Horford is not a good PF? I betcha if you put him on a team with a real C, he will be a great PF.

The irony is that it isn't the fanbase (or isn't just the fanbase) that is saying Crawford is best suited as a reserve - it is the Atlanta coaching staff. Everyone who isn't dead set on finding a way to get Marvin on the bench recognizes the fact that a Bibby/Crawford/Johnson 1/2/3 combination would be a disaster defensively and on the boards over extended periods of time and that is exactly why the coaches have no interest in starting Crawford. Thus, it is certain members of our fanbase that are "coming up with reasons" to have Marvin benched in contrast to the real-life plans of the coaching staff. Crawford will get plenty of minutes on this team, but they will be better spent in a 6th man role.

Lsughable in my opinion. I'll be watching the games when we play those teams. ZaZa is a joke!

McDyess is the only one of those guys who could come close to filling Zaza's role, and at this point in their careers Zaza is better than him at that role. The rest of those guys are completely different players. Wilcox and Gooden are both better scorers, but that's not what we need at Zaza's position.

• Premium Member

The simple reason Crawford should not be starting is because Marvin/Joe is a better option then Joe/Jamal.

When you say a statement like that, you have to give a basis. On what basis? Certainly not offense. Craw is another one of those guys who can create for himself. That means that Joe will not have to carry the offense as much when Craw is on the floor.

You have to admit Joe did a very good Job of playing Sf last season. Did we even notice that Marvin wasn't playing? I say no because we went on a win streak. But more important than wins and losses, our defense was better with Joe at Sf.

So please, share some basis for that statement.

Back to the Center. I don't think we have had a good look at Al playing PF. What I mean is that you shouldn't play Al next to Zaza then play Al next to Smoove and Say.. yep, he's a C. Let's try to get a real C in here and let AL play next to him to make that determination.

• Premium Member

The irony is that it isn't the fanbase (or isn't just the fanbase) that is saying Crawford is best suited as a reserve - it is the Atlanta coaching staff. Everyone who isn't dead set on finding a way to get Marvin on the bench recognizes the fact that a Bibby/Crawford/Johnson 1/2/3 combination would be a disaster defensively and on the boards over extended periods of time and that is exactly why the coaches have no interest in starting Crawford. Thus, it is certain members of our fanbase that are "coming up with reasons" to have Marvin benched in contrast to the real-life plans of the coaching staff. Crawford will get plenty of minutes on this team, but they will be better spent in a 6th man role.

Could you please point out where Mike Woodson has said that he plans to play Crawford off the bench?

I think that there is just as much guesswork as to those saying that Crawford will play off the bench.

Could you please point out where Mike Woodson has said that he plans to play Crawford off the bench?

I think that there is just as much guesswork as to those saying that Crawford will play off the bench.

In the last radio interview that Woody gave he said, and I'm paraphrasing, "that Crawford will be great for us off the bench" theres a thread on it here with a link to a transcript I believe, not sure but many squawkers heard him say it live and also transcribed it for us. This was also before Marvin was in the fold so apparently coach Woodson has the same idea of anyone who's actually watched Crawful play as to where he would be best suited.