• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Siler accepts Hawks offer to attend September Camp (P3)

gsuteke

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2009/07/31/nba_542728.shtml

Ex-Jaguar considers NBA options

By Chris Gay| Staff Writer

Friday, July 31, 2009COMMENTPRINTShareEmail

Garret Siler's excellent summer continues to get better by the day.

Garret Siler has offers on the table from Atlanta and Minnesota.

Earlier this month, the former Augusta State All-American opened a lot of eyes in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. Then, Siler impressed Hawks personnel at Atlanta's mini-camp.

Now, he's home with a decision to make. Siler has offers from Atlanta and Minnesota to participate in their respective veteran camps in October. He said he'll decide by early next week.

Siler's NBA future is almost a reality just four months after he wrapped up a solid collegiate career on the NCAA Division II level. This recent progression amazes even him.

"I didn't think I was going to Vegas. I didn't think I'd see all these NBA players," Siler said. "I'm enjoying it."

The 7-foot, 278-pound Siler still is proving himself. His summer league profile listed his first name as "Garrett" and had him at 6-11, 305 pounds. Also, his profile posted his college as Augustana, Ill.

"I gave up a long time ago on that," Siler said about trying to correct the multiple errors.

Former Augusta State assistant coach Lenny Carlson said Siler also had to earn respect at the NBA Summer League. He shot 78 percent (14 of 18) from the floor, averaging 8.2 points, 6.8 boards and 1.6 blocks in five games.

"Geez, what potential," Carlson said. "Garret is probably the best kept secret in America."

At the summer league, Siler received a Minnesota jersey with his last name stitched across the back -- a moment that resonated with the big man.

"That made me proud. I've accomplished something," he said. "I've got a lot more to prove, but I'm dang proud of that."

Now, it's just a matter of where he wants to prove himself. In the coming days, Siler and his agent will discuss which situation is better.

Minnesota doesn't have a head coach. (The team fired Kevin McHale in June.) Siler said he's leaning toward Atlanta -- coach Mike Woodson told him to call him "Woody." Siler added, however, he doesn't want his heart to make the decision.

For the time being, he continues to work out with Carlson. Siler's working on his mid-range jump shot and extending his defensive range. He's also working more with his left hand.

"He's a valuable screener. He's a valuable rebounder. He's a valuable passer. He won't miss inside. He can guard the basket. At this weight, he can run the floor," Carlson said. "He's not a long shot anymore."

Reach Chris Gay at (706) 823-3645 or chris.gay@augustachronicle.com.

From the Friday, July 31, 2009 edition of the Augusta Chronicle

So for all those following the Garret Siler situation there is your answer we've all been looking for.

Siler has been extended an offer to attand Regular Camp in October with the rest of the team. From then on it would be up to him to make the squad.

I certainly hope that he chooses Atlanta. I think we'd be wise to go ahead and offer him a 2 year contract right now and not risk him going to Minnesota. At the very least he can fill the minutes that Solo gave us last year and we're not going to find a better project so what's the harm in signing him now? I guess maybe the risk of injury but that's a risk I'd be willing to take and I think it's a smaller risk than hoping he chooses Atlanta over Minnesota.

• Admin

I certainly hope that he chooses Atlanta. I think we'd be wise to go ahead and offer him a 2 year contract right now and not risk him going to Minnesota. At the very least he can fill the minutes that Solo gave us last year and we're not going to find a better project so what's the harm in signing him now? I guess maybe the risk of injury but that's a risk I'd be willing to take and I think it's a smaller risk than hoping he chooses Atlanta over Minnesota.

I hope I am proven wrong but I think he is just another big guy that will never be anything more then that. I don't see him contributing anything if we sign him we will just have another Morris.

• Premium Member

I hope I am proven wrong but I think he is just another big guy that will never be anything more then that. I don't see him contributing anything if we sign him we will just have another Morris.

I feel the same as you, but definitely want to see him in the mini-camp against better competition.

Here are the facts surrounding Siler

1. Sekou said he isn't half as skilled as Morris

However

2. He's huge yet he can still run the floor.

3. You can't guard the man under the basket - he's that big. Once he's got the ball down there look out. His FG% will be over 60 every year

4. There are no Big Men out there that can play that are a legit 7 foot. Period.

I say sign Joe Smith and give Garret a shot. Otherwise you're looking at bringing over a guy like Cenk that plays a redundant position who will never see the floor. Atleast with Siler he can play 3 minutes a game - whether that be at the end of quarters or spot duty if someone gets in foul trouble.

Edited by gsuteke

• Premium Member

You can't hand out 2-year contracts all willy-nilly. Make sure this guy is not another Morris first then offer him a contract.

How do you make sure? I have no clue. Good thing I'm not the GM huh?

well good thing this isnt signing with the team but rather is with the team in october.....this just lets us evaluate him even more...might as well..

forget what everyone here thinks, if the team thinks he's good enough to bring back in october, then might as well......it must mean he is showing them something...they aren't doing it to please those of us here who like him....they are aware they have randolph....

i just dont think randolph has much to offer us (other than he's signed already)...there is a possible future with siler (although of course maybe not), but it seems less likely a good future with morris.

• Premium Member

well good thing this isnt signing with the team but rather is with the team in october.....this just lets us evaluate him even more...might as well..

forget what everyone here thinks, if the team thinks he's good enough to bring back in october, then might as well......it must mean he is showing them something...they aren't doing it to please those of us here who like him....they are aware they have randolph....

i just dont think randolph has much to offer us (other than he's signed already)...there is a possible future with siler (although of course maybe not), but it seems less likely a good future with morris.

agree. all things equal. I'm going with Siler. I've seen enough from Morris (Collage and Pro) to know that he reached his potential in HS.

Here are the facts surrounding Siler

1. Sekou said he isn't half as skilled as Morris

I appreciate what Sekou gives us but as far as I know he's not a talent scout/evaluator/etc so I don't value his opinion in this area any more than I do anyone else here who has a decent level of basketball knowledge.

With my own eyes I see that Siler is bigger, looks significantly stronger, and he seems to have a lot more natural ability plus DESIRE when compared to Morris. I know that doesn't mean anything to anyone else but for me I'll trust what I've seen compared to what Sekou tells us in this situation.

You can't hand out 2-year contracts all willy-nilly. Make sure this guy is not another Morris first then offer him a contract.

How do you make sure? I have no clue. Good thing I'm not the GM huh?

You HAVE to field a full team and right now we're far below the minimum requirements for a full roster and the end of the bench guys are going to be minimum level salaries anyway and there's far more reward potential than there is risk potential to offering a 2 year minimum deal to Siler than there is waiting to offer him a deal or offering him a 1 year deal.

• Premium Member

Yep according to some on this board he'll average 20/10 if we will just get him. I hope I'm proven wrong too, but I don't expect much.

Yep according to some on this board he'll average 20/10 if we will just get him. I hope I'm proven wrong too, but I don't expect much.

Now that is just crazy! No one is saying that. We are just saying be more of what we need coming off the bench. When was the last time you saw a 20/10 guy coming off the bench¿ Non of the Kong fans have said anything about him starting.

Look it's like what Dolfan said, when you are watching the video and I'm not talking about the ones that highlight Kong. Look at the video when they highlight other players with Kong playing in the background. The reward is there. If this young guy gets a chance to play against the Boss it could be a tell tell story.

I hope he picks us.

• Premium Member

Basically, we had the same enthusiasm around these parts last summer for signing Morris... remember?

Here's the thing I'd like to see more posters acknowledge--if you sign Siler, you aren't signing him with the expectation that he 's going to contribute this year.

He is the epitome of a project. You sign him for two years for that reason, and further, you make the decision that you're willing to dedicate that roster slot to a developmental player. This time next year, then, you hope to be able to see that he's shown Othello Hunter-type progress so that there's some reason to believe that, maybe not at the beginning of the season, but as the season develops, he's going to get a few quality minutes here and there.

• Moderators

If you are going to sign Siler, sign him to a contract that is guaranteed for this year and unguaranteed for next year and then put a team option on a third year to cover yourself with bird rights in the event that he progresses and with the option to terminate early if he doesn't.

• Like 1

If you are going to sign Siler, sign him to a contract that is guaranteed for this year and unguaranteed for next year and then put a team option on a third year to cover yourself with bird rights in the event that he progresses and with the option to terminate early if he doesn't.

If that's possible to do (1st yr guaranteed, 2nd year non-guaranteed, 3rd year team option) under the CBA then I'd be all for it.