Leadership Counts

Swatguy

A poster mentioned his opinion of Joe being over Jamal in part because of leadership.

It gave me pause. Not because of a leadership comparison between Joe and Jamal, but the question of Joe being a leader (thoughts of the Piccolo player).

We know Woody is a/the leader on the sideline and such. Who is the leader on the court and locker room.

I submit, without Flip there is a void in the locker room. Mo has leadership qualities, but can a 5-7 minute guy really lead?

I believe Bibby has the leadership yoke on his neck but maybe reluctantly.

Al's arms (and age) are too short, Josh has issues. Marvin speaks well but he Fades-To-Black instead of Steps-Up.

In My opinion, unless we sign Flip And another vet we will have a leadership void.

Mike Bibby is the leader. The coach looks to him, obviously, to be his "coach on the floor". We've seen what he's meant to these young guys since he arrived. JJ is the lead by example person, he's the all star. But not vocal. However, he knows how much Bibby's knowledge of the game, a veteran, and still produces at a level - stat wise - that is extremely productive. Horford can lead by being a good example, hustle, just wants to win. Bibby brings that all important and not measurable "intangibles" that coaches rave about. All I know is that things got a whole lot better when Mike Bibby came here. With Woodson's obvious deficiencies as a coach at the offensive end, Bibby at the very least, has some sense of what Woody is trying to accomplish.

...and if we sign Joe Smith then we have another leader.

I don't know if Flip was a leader. There was never any sign or mention that he was a locker room leader.

I'll tell you, I've been in the room with them and Flip's persona is huge. He is the guy other team's guys apologize too when he hits the floor. He is The Bulldog that will not be denied at the table.

Mo has the energy and emotion.

I do like Flip, he is a fighter. Down by 25 he is still taking it to the other team while starters are on the bench sulking. He keep that team together more than any other last season.

Edited by Swatguy

• Premium Member

Bibby and Al, if you believe Sekou.

The only reason that I wanted Bibby Back is because Sekou discussed how he was the lockerroom leader. I never thought of Joe as being the type of guy to get into somebody's face. I think he will, but he's no Jordan. Well, hell Jordan was no Jordan either. I think the real question is how much room does Wood give other guys to be leaders? Sometimes, I think too much. Honestly, Josh Smith looks like a loose cannon and Bibby looks like he does whatever he wants. I think it may be that we need stronger reigns for our coach.

The only reason that I wanted Bibby Back is because Sekou discussed how he was the lockerroom leader. I never thought of Joe as being the type of guy to get into somebody's face. I think he will, but he's no Jordan. Well, hell Jordan was no Jordan either. I think the real question is how much room does Wood give other guys to be leaders? Sometimes, I think too much. Honestly, Josh Smith looks like a loose cannon and Bibby looks like he does whatever he wants. I think it may be that we need stronger reigns for our coach.

I seems to have thought too highly as Flip being so big in the locker. I am told he was decent but not the true leader. It seems Woody has "nice guy" coaches around him. Maybe a Mahorn or an Oakley on the bench with Woody.

We just dont have nasty on the roster.

• Premium Member

I seems to have thought too highly as Flip being so big in the locker. I am told he was decent but not the true leader. It seems Woody has "nice guy" coaches around him. Maybe a Mahorn or an Oakley on the bench with Woody.

We just dont have nasty on the roster.

That's a problem. We need somebody other than Woody who can get in a guy's grill and get his respect. Smoove especially needs this kind of mentor. That doesn't mean go out and trade for KMart. However, if Bibby can be that, then let Bibby be that. Or if we can get somebody who can slap shame into a player, get them.

• 11 months later...

That's a problem. We need somebody other than Woody who can get in a guy's grill and get his respect. Smoove especially needs this kind of mentor. That doesn't mean go out and trade for KMart. However, if Bibby can be that, then let Bibby be that. Or if we can get somebody who can slap shame into a player, get them.

Do we still have a leadership problem? We sure do.

Is Josh Powell the answer?

Would Shaq be the answer?

It seems difficult for me to believe a guy with a short contract can lead. If that is true, it has to be Joe, Josh or Marvin. If we extend Jamal for 4 years he could be the Capo.

Without a "for sure", "will get into a grill" leader on this team. Al (see Jamal) can't, he's a short timer.

Solution: Extend Jamal and Al, sign Shaq. Next off-season Move Marvins contract for space.

Do we still have a leadership problem? We sure do.

Is Josh Powell the answer?

Would Shaq be the answer?

It seems difficult for me to believe a guy with a short contract can lead. If that is true, it has to be Joe, Josh or Marvin. If we extend Jamal for 4 years he could be the Capo.

Without a "for sure", "will get into a grill" leader on this team. Al (see Jamal) can't, he's a short timer.

Solution: Extend Jamal and Al, sign Shaq. Next off-season Move Marvins contract for space.

I think Shaq would bring something to this francise. He's not going to sign here unless he sees some potential of doing something special, and he would lead accordingly. If we do bring him in, slowly but surely, we're putting some solid vets Bibby, Shaq, Craws mixed in with our early 20 something's and 4 time all star.

• Like 1