• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Glenn Dorsey TOO FAT to practice

Admin

I for one am thrilled that we didn't take Dorsey now ... I was up in the air about it at the time and I'm honestly shocked that he has been so lazy in the NFL but I guess as a fan you never know about a guy until you read something like this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/04/dorsey-heading-towards-bust-status/

Glenn Dorsey was a favorite of the draft graders.

When the Chiefs choose him fifth overall in 2008, the reviews were unanimous; the Chiefs got a great bargain in the LSU defensive tackle.

Little more than a year later, Dorsey seems far from a sure thing.

As Evan Silva pointed out in today's one-liners, Dorsey has essentially been deemed too fat to practice. (As opposed to too fat to fish.)

Five days after failing a conditioning test, Dorsey continues to try to get slim while his teammates practice football.

Kent Babb of the Kansas City Star wondered if the Chiefs are trying to prove a point:

"He's spending time on sprints and the stationary bike, but I can't help but think that some of the exercises he's doing aren't more for continued humiliation of the one player who can't seem to get in shape," Babb wrote.

It's not like Dorsey showed his talent as a rookie, but let things slide this offseason.

He did very little last season. Jason Whitlock broke out the B word by midseason, although there were legitimate questions later regarding how Dorsey was utilized.

Those excuses won't hold up if Dorsey fails to impress another coaching staff. Dorsey barely practiced this offseason because of a shin injury before showing up heavy to camp.

Dorsey is one of the young players the Chiefs should build around, but he risks getting left behind.

Complicating matters is that Dorsey must learn a new scheme. Expected to be a penetrating tackle in a 4-3 defense, he will now be asked to occupy blockers in a 3-4.

At this rate, Dorsey could wind up being a very round and expensive peg that doesn't fit into any of Kansas City's holes.

UPDATE: Dorsey is out of purgatory. He was cleared to practice Tuesday. Next task: ensure that he has a starting job.

I for one am thrilled that we didn't take Dorsey now ... I was up in the air about it at the time and I'm honestly shocked that he has been so lazy in the NFL but I guess as a fan you never know about a guy until you read something like this.

Its a strange story. You would never have thought he would do this coming out of LSU. Dude was supposedly a workout warrior and all around leader. You do have to wonder what is going on in KC. They are putting in a system that really doesn't call for a guy like Dorsey.

I still would take a chance on the guy. For the Falcons I say send the Chefs Jamal Anderson and we get back Dorsey. Both guys will work better in the respective other teams' respective systems.

I also wanted us to draft this guy but I guess everything worked out for the best!

Mr. Dimitroff

Actually, Dimitroff liked Dorsey a lot...he just liked Ryan better and rightfully so. I'm with Frosgrim in that I would love to trade for Dorsey and try him on our system (though I can't believe the Chiefs would send him for Anderson after just 1 year). A tackle rotation of Babineaux, Jerry and Dorsey would be stout.

I wanted Dorsey over Ryan last year.

I was not upset with the Ryan pick. In fact I even bought season tickets for the first last year and had very low expectations.

Things worked out for the best.

I wonder if Dorsey got fat on purpose since the team was moving to a 3-4. Dorsey is a 4-3 DT plain an simple. Rumors were Dorsey could have been had prior to the draft for a 1st round pick. They know he does not fit their new system.

I wanted Dorsey over Ryan last year.

I was not upset with the Ryan pick. In fact I even bought season tickets for the first last year and had very low expectations.

Things worked out for the best.

I wonder if Dorsey got fat on purpose since the team was moving to a 3-4. Dorsey is a 4-3 DT plain an simple. Rumors were Dorsey could have been had prior to the draft for a 1st round pick. They know he does not fit their new system.

So what are they wanting him to be? Nose tackle or End?