• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Did Roy's 80 million set the bar for Joe's extension?

capstone21

• Premium Member

You and Traceman are talking at eachother on this one. If you disagree with his premise that Roy can play PG or that Joe can play SF then have at it. However, saying that Traceman is talking about sinking $160M into the SG position when he just said Roy and JJ could play different positions for this team is a bit disingenuous.

O.k., I'll clarify, Roy is worth $80 million dollars starting at shooting guard and Joe is worth $80 million dollar starting at shooting guard. Neither is worth that much playing any other position.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

O.k., I'll clarify, Roy is worth $80 million dollars starting at shooting guard and Joe is worth $80 million dollar starting at shooting guard. Neither is worth that much playing any other position.

I think that is a lot clearer.

Surely you jest? Brandon Roy at the 2 and JJ at the 3 would make more sense than anything we have now. And I see you completely glazed over Chris Paul. The truth is BK screwed us. Most teams get one star through the draft and on through free agency. JJ was our FA star. We had a couple changes to get our draft star, but missed. But don't blame JJ for that. He's the only real star that has given Atlanta the time of day.

• Premium Member

Surely you jest? Brandon Roy at the 2 and JJ at the 3 would make more sense than anything we have now. And I see you completely glazed over Chris Paul. The truth is BK screwed us. Most teams get one star through the draft and on through free agency. JJ was our FA star. We had a couple changes to get our draft star, but missed. But don't blame JJ for that. He's the only real star that has given Atlanta the time of day.

1st of all on most team, there is a primary star that handles the ball with the other 4 feeding off of him. So if you had a primary ball handler to initiate the offense, why would you want to pay the guys that feed off him the type of money that each of the above would command. In other words, reducing Joe johnson to a catch and shoot type player would deminish his value. And since joe is not a rebounders nor does he excel at guarding 3's, he wouldn't be a good compliment to Paul and Roy at the defensive end. A better fit would be a guy that play great defense against 3, rebounds and shoots well when set up like Ariza who you can get for half the price. You pay guys like Paul, Roy, and Joe extra because they can initiate the offense and you only need one of those type players on the floor at any given time.

Edited by Peoriabird

Exactly. Don't extend JJ, watch him make a 4th consecutive All Star game, and watch his value go up. Then watch him go to NY for $100M when all the other big name FAs choose to stay in place. Then, we'll start Bibby and Crawford in the backcourt and sign Jerry Stackhouse to back up Crawford.

Exactly.

That's what I've been trying to tell some of these guys all summer. SOMEBODY is gonna pay JJ big bucks. If not the Knicks, it'll be Minnesota. If not Minnesota, it'll be Cleveland ( if they lose Lebron ). If not Cleveland, it'll be the Nets ( especially after they got rid of Vince for those expiring contracts ).

And like I've been saying all along . . . if the Hawks really think that JJ is the key piece to the future success of this team . . . they should throw a 5 yr - 90 million deal at him RIGHT NOW, and see if that's enough to get him to re-sign.

People say that's too much. I say that even that might not be enough.

One thing is for sure . . . he's not making less than 5 yr - 80 mill . . . unless he takes a 4 yr deal that pays him 65 mill ( with a player option after year 3. )

Either way, you're still talking at least 15 mill a year.

Exactly.

That's what I've been trying to tell some of these guys all summer. SOMEBODY is gonna pay JJ big bucks. If not the Knicks, it'll be Minnesota. If not Minnesota, it'll be Cleveland ( if they lose Lebron ). If not Cleveland, it'll be the Nets ( especially after they got rid of Vince for those expiring contracts ).

And like I've been saying all along . . . if the Hawks really think that JJ is the key piece to the future success of this team . . . they should throw a 5 yr - 90 million deal at him RIGHT NOW, and see if that's enough to get him to re-sign.

People say that's too much. I say that even that might not be enough.

One thing is for sure . . . he's not making less than 5 yr - 80 mill . . . unless he takes a 4 yr deal that pays him 65 mill ( with a player option after year 3. )

Either way, you're still talking at least 15 mill a year.

JJ ain't signing a penny bellow Roy. He could even take it as an insult if he gets low balled.

I say pull a Tim Dunkin on him. Pop handed in TD a max contract to sign, and then gave an elaborate detailed presentation on how accepting a lower salary would help the team sign key free agents, and give them a higher probability of winning championships. Of course TD took the lower salary.

Do you think this would work with JJ? He already has more money than many small countries. This was Roy's first big contract.

• Premium Member

If we had either Chris Paul or Brandon Roy on this team with JJ, we would be looking at a championship caliber core... No chance in all hell now to get any player that comes even close to the talent level of Paul or Roy... We have to pray that Josh Smith gets his head out of his *ss and becomes an all-star because it is definitely true that JJ needs another star on this team if we are ever gonna make some serious noise.

To say that JJ couldn't be just as effective at the SF position is insane. The guy is built like a Small Forward, can shoot, can pass, can defend opossing SF... He would not miss a beat... To say Roy can't play PG is equally stupid. The guy ran Portland's offense basically every day during his first two years in the league. Roy and JJ are also both very unselfish and accomplished passers, so they could play off each other... We would have the best 1-2 punch in the NBA. The fact we got Shelden Williams over Roy, despite him not being projected until at best the late lottery, and despite him not having enough height and wingspan, and despite not having worked out for us, and despite playing the same position as Josh Smith, is the biggest insult to injury ever... At least when picking Marvin we got an NBA player, so despite having missed out on this generations best PG we at least have a guy who can come in and be a cog. The Roy pick is catastrophic though. The only reason Shellhead is in the NBA is because of his College Career. If not for that the dude would be playing in Greece getting dunked on by Chillz.

• Premium Member

If we had either Chris Paul or Brandon Roy on this team with JJ, we would be looking at a championship caliber core... No chance in all hell now to get any player that comes even close to the talent level of Paul or Roy... We have to pray that Josh Smith gets his head out of his *ss and becomes an all-star because it is definitely true that JJ needs another star on this team if we are ever gonna make some serious noise.

To say that JJ couldn't be just as effective at the SF position is insane. The guy is built like a Small Forward, can shoot, can pass, can defend opossing SF... He would not miss a beat... To say Roy can't play PG is equally stupid. The guy ran Portland's offense basically every day during his first two years in the league. Roy and JJ are also both very unselfish and accomplished passers, so they could play off each other... We would have the best 1-2 punch in the NBA. The fact we got Shelden Williams over Roy, despite him not being projected until at best the late lottery, and despite him not having enough height and wingspan, and despite not having worked out for us, and despite playing the same position as Josh Smith, is the biggest insult to injury ever... At least when picking Marvin we got an NBA player, so despite having missed out on this generations best PG we at least have a guy who can come in and be a cog. The Roy pick is catastrophic though. The only reason Shellhead is in the NBA is because of his College Career. If not for that the dude would be playing in Greece getting dunked on by Chillz.

All this post prove to me is that you have strong opinions nothing else. But say that just combining Joe with either Paul or Roy guarentees a championship is just retarded