• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Puncher's Chance

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

Should the signing of Joe Smith be completed, do the hawks have a puncher's chance at the title being 2 deep and across-the-board relatively talented, do they simply not have the talent where it counts the most, or are they just a minor piece or coaching upgrade (assuming there is one mid-season) away?

I have long been a critic of our lack of a 2nd, productive superstar (or 1st if you don't think JJ is one). However, perhaps it's the kool-aid, I think we have a puncher's chance given an addition, a diamond in the rough, a unexpected, significant production or efficiency upgrade in one or two of our players, a remarkably healthy season, and/or perhaps a coaching change mid-season (which would likely mean we were down in the standings resulting in a Woody firing and hopefully a better coach - Van Gundy? - hiring).

An addition might represent another quality player such as somehow retaining Flip (in case of injury) or another "quality" big. A diamond in the rough might represent Siler (although far fetched for this year). An upgrade in production or efficiency might represent Marvin, Josh Smith, Horford, Crawford (although, what a wild card he could be for this team, a BU more important that most of its starters?!?), or JJ in that order, a remarkably healthy season I believe necessarily includes the significant reduction in MPG by starters, especially JJ to allow for fresh legs and prepared BUs in the post-season. A coaching change upgrade is just that, with midseason being a difficult time to have one although Stan Van Gundy might be that guy.

Frankly, this is as good of a position as I could have hoped for for the Hawks at this point. A slim chance. Here's hoping the stars align if we can't sign or trade for another one of them.

W

Should the signing of Joe Smith be completed, do the hawks have a puncher's chance at the title being 2 deep and across-the-board relatively talented, do they simply not have the talent where it counts the most, or are they just a minor piece or coaching upgrade (assuming there is one mid-season) away?

I have long been a critic of our lack of a 2nd, productive superstar (or 1st if you don't think JJ is one). However, perhaps it's the kool-aid, I think we have a puncher's chance given an addition, a diamond in the rough, a unexpected, significant production or efficiency upgrade in one or two of our players, a remarkably healthy season, and/or perhaps a coaching change mid-season (which would likely mean we were down in the standings resulting in a Woody firing and hopefully a better coach - Van Gundy? - hiring).

An addition might represent another quality player such as somehow retaining Flip (in case of injury) or another "quality" big. A diamond in the rough might represent Siler (although far fetched for this year). An upgrade in production or efficiency might represent Marvin, Josh Smith, Horford, Crawford (although, what a wild card he could be for this team, a BU more important that most of its starters?!?), or JJ in that order, a remarkably healthy season I believe necessarily includes the significant reduction in MPG by starters, especially JJ to allow for fresh legs and prepared BUs in the post-season. A coaching change upgrade is just that, with midseason being a difficult time to have one although Stan Van Gundy might be that guy.

Frankly, this is as good of a position as I could have hoped for for the Hawks at this point. A slim chance. Here's hoping the stars align if we can't sign or trade for another one of them.

W

I certainly think we have a chance, for the first time in ... well I can barely remember that far back.

We need our relative youngsters to progress and, I agree, at least one them must make a significant jump.

Doubt we get a coaching upgrade (unless we add a new assistant).

Honestly, I think we can go as far as Joe can take us (and I mean in the postseason. He needs to play much better). Not sure how I feel about that, but I'd rather have him to rely on than T-Mac, Vinsanity, Iggy, or countless other 2/3 scorers, so ...

Walter has the solution. Whether we have another coach OR we continue with Woody, which I gotta believe

will happen unless we stumble and fall - - hard, whoever is coaching MUST make use of his bench players

and not use up all his starting five.

Woody has said, over and over, not in words but in actions (Remember, actions speak louder than words)

"The Atlanta Hawks cannot win unless Joe Johnson is on the floor ALL THE TIME!" Woody uses a tight

rotation. Only a few selected bench players are allowed on the floor. And, never one to replace JJ.

Bench players are told, again by actions - - "You're not good enough. I don't trust you."

Woody and Sund should get their heads together. "Play them or trade them. Which players are leaving?"

If Woody can't or won't play them, we don't need them. Get him some players he can and will use.

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

its all up to the development of our youth....at status quo we have no chance at winning it all.....however if marvin, josh, Al, or Teague take a significant step forward, then we can....i prefer it be someone in the paint.

Yup. If Al manages to get consistent with the jumpshot, improve his footwork, and take people of the dribble. If Josh Smith improves that 3 ball, and focuses more on driving to the basket. If Marvin improves his handles and continues to improve his shot. If Teague can come in and contribute as a drive-and-dish player.

If we make all of those strides then we can compete with anybody in the league.

We have a chance, but we need to make a trade. For who? Not sure. I'm thinking about the Lakers trade for Gasol, Pistons for Wallace, Rockets for Drexler, and Suns for Barkley. You can always bring in another guy to push you over the edge if you are close.

If the question is if we can do it without a trade, I think it's a definite no.

Yup. If Al manages to get consistent with the jumpshot, improve his footwork, and take people of the dribble. If Josh Smith improves that 3 ball, and focuses more on driving to the basket. If Marvin improves his handles and continues to improve his shot. If Teague can come in and contribute as a drive-and-dish player.

If we make all of those strides then we can compete with anybody in the league.

I think Josh improving his 3 ball is about the worst thing that could happen.

Now that Crawford is on the bench there really is no excuse to Joe being on the floor 40 mins a game. But with Woody who knows..

Not really. If he insists on shooting it, it would be better if he actually made it more consistently. I think it's quite obvious that he is dead set on being a 3 point shooter. At least adding that to his game will make it easier for him to drive on big men, and take advantage of his marginal ability to pass the ball.

First and foremost, this team has to learn how to consistently win on the road. Any talk about contending for anything is kind of far fetched, until that happens. As of right now, this is a 50 - 54 win team MAX.

But a puncher's chance means that:

- JJ must play at least at a 3rd team All-NBA level

- 2 of the 3 kids ( Smith, Horford, Marvin ) must play highly efficient ball

- Crawford must shoot at least 45% FG

The so-called 2-deep at every position is a nice luxury, but it won't be the reason why this team gets over the top. It's going to be because of the play of the starters and Crawford.

Even with Crawford, our bench is only OK. If Bibby goes down, we can at leasr replace him with Crawford. Matter of fact, if JJ or even Marvin goes down, you could insert Crawford into the starting lineup, and move JJ to the 3 ( in the case of Marvin being out ).

But if Horford or Smith miss significant time, this team is in trouble. The guys backing them up are far less effective. Joe Smith will be lucky to average 6 pts and 4 rebs a game next year. He's better than Solo though, although he isn't the shot blocking presence that Solo was at times.

As for a trade to upgrade the team, everybody should know who that person is. Problem is, the fan base loves him too much to move him for a top line frontline player . . . . ( cough ) Amare ( cough ). Ish, they didn't even want to trade him for Pau Gasol when that idea was flying around 2 years ago. They probably wouldn't trade him for Shaq.

W

I believe we are close. I believe our coach knows the differences and is pushing the young guys for high performance every game.

These guys really have to bring the effort every game.

The glimpses from Marvin and Josh are titilating but they have to go to their next level.

They both have so, so much potential. We have the guns with Joe, Jamal and Bibs (I'm talking buckets).

Zaza, Al and else have to play outstanding defense and rebounding to be a contender. Allowing only one well contended shot a ntrip down the court is needed.

Marvin and Josh at their next level with Al and Zaza defending and rebounding are the key.

I think we should start the season with 14 on the roster and save a slot for January/February.

Can Teague be what Speedy hoped to be? Is he "blink" with a shot?