• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Offer 4yr/$60 mil to Joe Johnson?

TeagueForMVP

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13629

The Atlanta Hawks are believed to have put a four-year, $60 plus million extension offer on the table for Joe Johnson. He is considering the deal according to sources.

The Free Agent Class of 2010 is going to be significant, not just because more than 131 players will be without a contract, but because 14 NBA teams will have enough salary cap space to really shift the balance of power and Joe Johnson could be the biggest name in the bunch. Sure, LeBron James is going to do the dance, as will Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, but the odds any of those guys leave their current markets is fairly slim.

Johnson on the other hand is not the singular star of the Hawks, and the Hawks are still not a major market draw in the NBA – they are getting better with 14 national TV games this season, but they are still among the NBA's second tier of rising talent.

Johnson could be the attainable jewel of the 2010 class, which is why the Hawks struck early with a contract offer, but like LeBron, Wade and Bosh – Johnson may make his home team sweat this one out.

How do u feel about this?

Seems like a fair offer, but I'm sure he could get more if he tried. In fact I'd be interested in seeing what kind of offers he would get, but that brings risk with it.

Guaranteed $60 million, don't have to move, comfort in system. Play a year and risk injury without that guarantee in hopes of 5 year 90 million. I'd ask for 5 - 75, stay here and call it a good day. The difference between the extra year and 30 million isn't that big either. 10% to agent. 40% to government. so he's down to an extra 15 million...and in a 5th year after the 4 year is over he could get his 20....once you've made $60 million you are really just talking an extra aston martin in the driveway. That's all.

• Premium Member

Of course, I thought Marvin was foolish to sign for more than 2 years, so maybe I don't have a clue.... but, fwiw.... if I'm Joe, the starting number is, at least, $16 mil for year one, and increases annually from there..

Is it true we can only offer a 4 year extension not 5?

This is a good starting point.

not really, 60 million for 5 years is better than 60 for 4 :P

when i was reading the topic, 4/60 and hope he accepts, i was thinking, i think it's a fair deal and if he doesn't take the offer, we'll just get somebody else. joe is very very good and he made our team very good team but, he's not great. he's still not up there with the kobes or the lebron.

I feel johnson will sign this contract very soon! reason is, is because I dont belive johnson will receive a better offer from any team.Now im not saying jj isnt worth it but I mean $60m for 4 years is great for johnson and nobody is going to out do that offer.

not really, 60 million for 5 years is better than 60 for 4 :P

when i was reading the topic, 4/60 and hope he accepts, i was thinking, i think it's a fair deal and if he doesn't take the offer, we'll just get somebody else. joe is very very good and he made our team very good team but, he's not great. he's still not up there with the kobes or the lebron.

We can't just get somebody else, I'm not a cap expert like many of the other posters here but I've listened to them enuf to know that we cant just go out and sign someone else if we miss out on JJ, it doesn't work like that. Crawful, AHF, MrHonline, Capstone one of you guys please come and explain this better!!!! lol

We can't just get somebody else, I'm not a cap expert like many of the other posters here but I've listened to them enuf to know that we cant just go out and sign someone else if we miss out on JJ, it doesn't work like that. Crawful, AHF, MrHonline, Capstone one of you guys please come and explain this better!!!! lol

Oh lord please don't mention me as a cap expert :thumbsdownsmileyanim: . Although it's an honor, I should in no way be in the same sentence as those other glorious posters. I'm just as knowledgeable as any other Joe that knows there's a cap to begin with, anything more than that and I follow their lead.....I guess you could say I'm just a better student of theirs then :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But yea, we can't just get anyone else without a major roster shakeup.

Oh lord please don't mention me as a cap expert :thumbsdownsmileyanim: . Although it's an honor, I should in no way be in the same sentence as those other glorious posters. I'm just as knowledgeable as any other Joe that knows there's a cap to begin with, anything more than that and I follow their lead.....I guess you could say I'm just a better student of theirs then :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But yea, we can't just get anyone else without a major roster shakeup.

lol well I know Im pretty much the same way, I just follow their lead. I know that we're pretty much right at the cap and can't do much more besides hanging on to our own players, that much I do understand!

I feel johnson will sign this contract very soon! reason is, is because I dont belive johnson will receive a better offer from any team.Now im not saying jj isnt worth it but I mean $60m for 4 years is great for johnson and nobody is going to out do that offer.

Considering what Danny Granger and Roy got, this contract is perfect.

As a side note, doing a back of the envelope calculation, I believe the max that another team can offer is roughly 80 million over 4 years. So considering the likelihood of Joe not getting the absolute max, and if 16 million is in front of him, I'd bet he would take it. I also think the 4 year extension is best for him. At the end of that extension, he will still be playing good basketball.