• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

District 9 and Inglourious Basterds

Admin

Just got home from seeing these two movies and thought I'd write a few words about each. I really enjoyed both movies and was surprised by both movies.

District 9 was shot as a documentary style movie with quite a bit of it being "shaky cam" style and while I'm not a big fan of that style it didn't bother me at all. The story was incredibly unique and makes you wonder if something like this could actually happen. I didn't recognize any of the actors in the movie but they were all good, especially the lead character who was brilliant in his role.

I expected Inglourious Basterds to be an extremely bloody movie but it wasn't at all. Yes there were some bloody scenes but there was a lot more blood in District 9. The dialogue was terrific in this movie and while it was a long movie (2.5 hours) I didn't feel like it was that long. I have to admit I'm a Tarantino fan so maybe my view of this movie was skewed a bit so if you don't like his movies then you might not want to go see this one as it's classic Tarantino and might be his best movie yet.

I expected Inglourious Basterds to be an extremely bloody movie but it wasn't at all. Yes there were some bloody scenes but there was a lot more blood in District 9. The dialogue was terrific in this movie and while it was a long movie (2.5 hours) I didn't feel like it was that long. I have to admit I'm a Tarantino fan so maybe my view of this movie was skewed a bit so if you don't like his movies then you might not want to go see this one as it's classic Tarantino and might be his best movie yet.

Fromwhat I've seen from people this about what the average viewer thinks.

Inglorious Basterds is the #1 movie of the summer for me. Easily.

Col. Hans Landa was absolutely brilliant and I loved the way he would switch languages although that scene where he's eating the strudle was so annoying with his smacking and chewing LOL.

I also loved when Pitt's character said I think this might be my masterpiece. No doubt that was Tarantino giving his opinion of the film.

Fromwhat I've seen from people this about what the average viewer thinks.

Is that supposed to be an insult?

Col. Hans Landa was absolutely brilliant and I loved the way he would switch languages although that scene where he's eating the strudle was so annoying with his smacking and chewing LOL.

I also loved when Pitt's character said I think this might be my masterpiece. No doubt that was Tarantino giving his opinion of the film.

Is that supposed to be an insult?

No,lol. Consensus is what I meant. After I logged off I thought that it might be taken the wrong way, but we threw a Birthday Party for my 2 year old niece yesterday and I was to tired to log back on and correct it. I meant no harm.

Just got home from seeing these two movies and thought I'd write a few words about each. I really enjoyed both movies and was surprised by both movies.

District 9 was shot as a documentary style movie with quite a bit of it being "shaky cam" style and while I'm not a big fan of that style it didn't bother me at all. The story was incredibly unique and makes you wonder if something like this could actually happen. I didn't recognize any of the actors in the movie but they were all good, especially the lead character who was brilliant in his role.

That's bold. Good to hear it's in the same discussion of his "classics" movies. Nice...

That's bold. Good to hear it's in the same discussion of his "classics" movies. Nice...

It's saying a lot coming from me as I'm a huge fan of his but it was a really, really good movie and considering I had already seen a 2 hr movie prior to it and could have easily been restless from sitting there for 6 total hours and at the end of it I wished that it was longer then it had to be good. It's doing really well on IMDB and rottentomatoes also which surprises me since he doesn't make his movies to please the masses.

No,lol. Consensus is what I meant. After I logged off I thought that it might be taken the wrong way, but we threw a Birthday Party for my 2 year old niece yesterday and I was to tired to log back on and correct it. I meant no harm.

Oh okay that makes sense, I was like WTF LOL. I think that if anyone is a fan of Tarantino's movies then they'll definitely love it. As far as District 9 goes it's probably not for everyone but I really enjoyed it.

WHOA............................Hotlanta said LOL!!!!! lol, thats good to see!

• Moderators

I am mixed on Tarantino.

I think Pulp Fiction is an absolute classic. Reservoir Dogs is fantastic. Jackie Brown is a step down from those but solid. From Dusk Till Dawn blows. Kill Bill is decent but overrated unless you are watching primarily to enjoy the homage aspect.

I didn't feel motivated to watch the Grindhouse double feature, but Inglorious Bastards looks intriguing. I think I will definitely watch that one.

I am mixed on Tarantino.

I think Pulp Fiction is an absolute classic. Reservoir Dogs is fantastic. Jackie Brown is a step down from those but solid. From Dusk Till Dawn blows. Kill Bill is decent but overrated unless you are watching primarily to enjoy the homage aspect.

I didn't feel motivated to watch the Grindhouse double feature, but Inglorious Bastards looks intriguing. I think I will definitely watch that one.

I don't think Kill Bill is that overrated since I don't think it ever got the press that the major blockbusters get and there are a lot of people who have never seen them but I do know people that don't like it. From Dusk Till Dawn was a very good movie for about 75% of it but then went off the deep end, but it's redeeming quality will always be the dance that we got from Salma Hayek. Never saw nor wanted to see Grindhouse. I didn't like Jackie Brown. Pulp Fiction is perhaps my favorite movie ever and Reservoir Dogs is one of the most underrated movies ever. I firmly believe that Inglourious Basterds holds up to both of those although it probably won't ever have cult status like them.

I don't think Kill Bill is that overrated since I don't think it ever got the press that the major blockbusters get and there are a lot of people who have never seen them but I do know people that don't like it. From Dusk Till Dawn was a very good movie for about 75% of it but then went off the deep end, but it's redeeming quality will always be the dance that we got from Salma Hayek. Never saw nor wanted to see Grindhouse. I didn't like Jackie Brown. Pulp Fiction is perhaps my favorite movie ever and Reservoir Dogs is one of the most underrated movies ever. I firmly believe that Inglourious Basterds holds up to both of those although it probably won't ever have cult status like them.

I think you would like Grindhouse. It's really fun. Really, give it a try. Forget the deathcar part. The zombie movie is just too cool, though. I actually have a mutual friend of one of the babysitter chicks in the movie. Got to meet her at a party recently. This Venezuelan chick named Electra. She's actually just as ditzy as the character, though!

Edited by TroyMcClure

I am mixed on Tarantino.

Kill Bill 1 or 2? They both had great moments. I'll say the first one was a much better movie, though. And the fight scene with Uma and Lucy was just beautiful on a couple of levels. Most of the beauty in Tarantino films is subtle. Humor, too. Funny thing, though. I think my favorite movie of his is True Romance. He wrote it, but his ending would have sucked. He wanted Slater to die. That's one where the studio execs definitely made the right choice.

I think Pulp Fiction is one of the most overrated movies of all time. It's a rather immature and pointless movie and it's sort of boring. The Bruce Willis/Ving Rhames scenes are some of the gayest ever put in a movie. When Jackson and Travolta aren't on this screen this isn't a very good or interesting movie at all. Just annoying hipster dialogue.

Edited by Hotlanta1981