• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Joe Smith officially signs

jerrywest

We need a backup SF more so.

Mo is fine, hell, how many games did we win with that cat starting. I don't think he is a starting SF, but he is a very good bench guy. Also, I would like to see JJ steal a few minutes at SF from time to time, he plays well there.

We need another big or two; and the staff prolly feels like JJ and Craw can both play minutes at PG if Teague struggles or Bibs is hurting, but, I have a feeling he will earn minutes this year.

Metro Atlanta / State News 7:35 p.m. Tuesday, August 25, 2009 Text size:

Decrease Increase Atlanta Hawks sign Joe SmithBy Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

.Joe Smith has spent the past month being wooed by the Hawks, and Tuesday night all the team’s hard work paid off.

Smith signed a one-year deal Tuesday for the veteran’s minimum salary, approximately $1.3 million, rounding out the team’s frontcourt rotation with the veteran big man they’ve searched for all summer.

“When you’re a free agent, that’s key,” Smith said by phone Tuesday evening. “How a team recruits you and what they do to try and get you in their organization says a lot about them. The last month or so the Hawks have been coming hard at me, and that shows how much they wanted me down here and what they think I can bring to this situation.”

A 6-foot-10, 225-pound power forward, the Hawks will be Smith’s 10th NBA team. The No. 1 overall pick in the 1995 draft, Smith finished last season with Cleveland, the team that ended the Hawks’ season in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

Smith saw action in 13 playoff games for the Cavaliers, averaging 5.5 points and 3.7 rebounds. For the season, he averaged 6.5 points and 4.7 rebounds while shooting nearly 50 percent (.496) from the floor.

Smith’s 14 years in the NBA give him experience and perspective that many of his new, and much younger, teammates will find valuable.

“Joe’s acquisition provides us with a solid complement to our frontcourt,” Hawks general manager Rick Sund said in a statement released by the team. “Not only does he bring years of experience to our team, but his versatility gives our coaching staff a player who can play multiple positions and an individual who will provide tremendous leadership in the locker room.”

At this stage of his career, Smith knows that his veteran leadership is a large part of his appeal.

“Being around different teams and different situations and players, all types of players,” Smith said, “I understand what it takes to be successful and consistent in this league. That’s the main thing right now for this team is putting together some consistent basketball for as much of the 82 games of the season as we can. The more consistent we can be the better we can be.”

Smith’s final decision came down to the Hawks and Cavaliers. And while his recent history with the Cavs made that option a viable one, the non-stop contact from Zaza Pachulia and the full-court press from the Hawks’ coaching and front-office staffs won him over in the end.

“Ultimately, it boiled down to the best role and best situation for me,” Smith said. “I think this was a perfect fit. We have a lot of young talent and a lot of guys that can go out on any given night and play well. But you still need a veteran on that team when things are going wrong that can be that voice. “I’m excited about being that voice and helping transform all this talent into a consistent winner.”

Edited by DrReality

Mo is fine, hell, how many games did we win with that cat starting. I don't think he is a starting SF, but he is a very good bench guy. Also, I would like to see JJ steal a few minutes at SF from time to time, he plays well there.

thank you. i actually think mo is exactly what we need, we already got a big small forward in marvin, and we got a small one in mo. i really like this combination.

and i think we're good to go with what we have, finally after all these years. good team while still fun to watch. if they play hard every game, i'm a very very happy man.

• Premium Member

Let me reiterate myself. We need someone that can guard SF's well. Mo guards SG's well.

Know that I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you. I'm simply saying it's irrelevant because Evans is the Hawks' backup SF according to those whose opinions actually matter...

Sadly, neither one of us were consulted.

Hawks Improve Frontcourt Depth With Joe Smith

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

By Micah Hart

The Hawks continued to fill out their roster for the upcoming season, as today the team agreed to terms with veteran big man Joe Smith. Frankly, I can’t think of a better fit for this team going into the season.

We know frontcourt depth is a priority, and yet we also know that with Al Horford, Josh Smith, and Zaza Pachulia in the fold, there aren’t a ton of leftover minutes laying around. That being the case, I think you’d be hard-pressed to find someone willing to take on a back-up role who brings all the things to the table that Joe Smith does. Namely:

- He can shoot. Joe Smith is a reliable perimeter shooter, which is something the Hawks have been missing in the frontcourt for awhile now. That’s not meant as a slight against the returning players, but I think we can all agree that Al, Josh, and Zaza all do their best work close to the basket. Joe can do work down low as well, but I think Coach Woodson will enjoy having him at his disposal for his pick-and-pop capabilities.

- He knows his role. One thing Rick Sund talks about in discussing the success of last year was the Hawks’ roster being more accepting of their roles than in the past. With minutes scarce, you want to know that anyone you bring in isn’t going to start chafing about playing time and potentially cause chemistry issues in the locker room. Joe Smith knows that at this stage in his career he is not going to be asked to log 30+ minutes every night, and at the risk of speaking for him, I daresay I think he’s ok with that.

- He’s versatile. Hey, you can’t be a Hawk if you can’t play multiple positions, right? At 6-10, Smith is capable of filling in at both the center and power forward spots, and I imagine he’ll end up having to play some of both as the season progresses. You’d love to think that everyone on the team will be available for 82 games, but it’s unlikely. Injuries aside, Joe will fit right in with the Hawks big men and allow Coach Woodson to consider a multitude of frontcourt combinations.

- He’s a veteran. Though the Hawks have been to the postseason the past two years, they still have a bit of the reputation of youth – that is to say, their confidence seems to wax and wane at times during the season and they struggle to maintain intensity. Joe Smith has been in the league 14 years, and he’s played on some pretty good teams in that span. I feel confident that his presence in the locker room will come in handy several times over the course of the 82 games (and more?) to come.

If there is any downside to this signing, it’s that the similarity of names (Joe Johnson, Joe Smith, Josh Smith) on the Hawks roster will potentially make discussing them very confusing

Smith saw action in 13 playoff games for the Cavaliers, averaging 5.5 points and 3.7 rebounds. For the season, he averaged 6.5 points and 4.7 rebounds while shooting nearly 50 percent (.496) from the floor.

just what we need, another player that disappears during the playoffs.

(jk)

While I'm very happy that we signed Smith it makes me sad to read that we had to woo a guy for a month to sign a 1 year vet minimum contract when he likely didn't have too many, if any, other options beside retirement. Again though I'm thrilled that we got him, I just wish we had an easier time of making it happen.

so have we come up with his official nickname yet? I mean we have to come up with something, don't want to spell his whole name out everytime we talk about him.

If there is any downside to this signing, it’s that the similarity of names (Joe Johnson, Joe Smith, Josh Smith) on the Hawks roster will potentially make discussing them very confusing

The Chicago Bulls announcers will see their heads explode now. They used to routinely call Joe Johnson . . . Joe Smith. Jeff Van Gundy was bad about that too.

Now they'll mess up all of their names. JJ will still be "Joe Smith" . . Josh Smith will be the 14 year vet from Maryland . . .and Joe Smith will be 23 years old again.

The Chicago Bulls announcers will see their heads explode now. They used to routinely call Joe Johnson . . . Joe Smith. Jeff Van Gundy was bad about that too.

Now they'll mess up all of their names. JJ will still be "Joe Smith" . . Josh Smith will be the 14 year vet from Maryland . . .and Joe Smith will be 23 years old again.

Yep I was thinking that too and trying to remember who the opposing announcers who struggled with that were. I want to say that Clyde Frazier also made that mistake.

:laughing5: