• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Last year the Hawks had 16 losses of 7 or less points

thecampster

• Moderators

how many wins would have been loses had Flip not scored when no one else could throw it in the ocean? He played a big role. The only scorer on the bench on a 47 win team. Crawford may be a better player but whether he can fit the role is a different story. If he can do it and then some we'll be in good shape.

Too many times, the Hawks fell in love with the long jumper and Flip was the only member of the backcourt who would attack the rim. Even if he didn't score a bunch of points, he would change the tone of a game by fearlessly going to the hole. And many times, his teammates would begin to follow his lead and end the run of jump shot after jump shot. There is no doubt that Crawford is a better player, but it is HIGHLY unlikely that he will "change the tempo" by bringing tenacious drives to the game. And while Teague may have the ability to penetrate to the rim, I don't like the idea of asking a rookie (essentialy a college junior) to fill that role for a playoff-bound team. Crawford feels like "more of the same" relative to Bibby and JJ, Flip felt like a "change of pace". Again, not saying Flip is better than Crawford (he clearly is NOT), just talking about their role on the team.

Take away flip, speedy (LOL) and Acie. Add Joe Smith, Teague and Crawford. How many of these 16 - 7 point or less losses would have been wins?

How many 7 point or less WINS did we have? If it's considerably less than 16, you might have a point. I bet it's more than 16.

Okay I couldn't help myself. The answer is 22. So maybe we overachieved by a few games last year?

Edited by txsting

It sounds like a lot of people want Flip back.

If Flip didn't sell us out in the playoffs, I think he'd still be here.

When the preseason cranks up in about 6 weeks, people are going to see the strengths and weaknesses of Crawford. Most of all though, they're going to see how he'd much rather settle for the long and mid-range jumper, than to go all the way to the hole. They'll also see that this guy has a knack of drawing fouls on jumpshots.

He's the wildcard of the team now. If he's cold, it'll all be back on JJ's shoulders . . as usual.

I think everyone is waay too focused on Crawfords scoring . Hes a better scorer,playmaker , and player than Flip PERIOD though and there really is no comparison.

However I think he will be big for us because he gives us another playmaker a guy that can create his own shot but also has the ability to create a shot for others . Every player has their strengths and weaknesses and Crawford is no different but hes been at the top of other teams scouting reports throughout his career so his role is gonna be as pseudo starter moreso than limited minute 6th man . He has a proven ability to close out games ,gets to the line in the 4th quarter a ton and can create ,take ,and make the big shot so I think he will definitely help us in close ball games.

I think the bigger area of concern is the countering the slow starts when we are turning the ball over and chucking like crazy and someone manage to be down by a basket or two at the end of first. If we take better care of the ball and come out a little bit sharper we havea chance to have some nice leads which will lead to easier wins and fewer close games and more rest for the starters overall.

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Just have to ask my simple question:

How many free throws did the Hawks miss in those losses??

If you can't score from the line, you reduce your chances for the win.

:snowballfight:

• Moderators

Too many times, the Hawks fell in love with the long jumper and Flip was the only member of the backcourt who would attack the rim. Even if he didn't score a bunch of points, he would change the tone of a game by fearlessly going to the hole. And many times, his teammates would begin to follow his lead and end the run of jump shot after jump shot. There is no doubt that Crawford is a better player, but it is HIGHLY unlikely that he will "change the tempo" by bringing tenacious drives to the game. And while Teague may have the ability to penetrate to the rim, I don't like the idea of asking a rookie (essentialy a college junior) to fill that role for a playoff-bound team. Crawford feels like "more of the same" relative to Bibby and JJ, Flip felt like a "change of pace". Again, not saying Flip is better than Crawford (he clearly is NOT), just talking about their role on the team.

This is the best argument I have seen for resigning Flip.

This is the best argument I have seen for resigning Flip.

Agreed. I think we'll miss that side of Flip, the ability to "change pace." While I also don't want to put a lot of responsibility on Teague, I think he could be the wildcard and I am excited about that. We all have heard about the praise of his ability to attack the rim. Even if he doesn't contribute a ton this year, he can definitely fill a need.

• Moderators

I'm hoping getting Crawford instead of Flip plays out like getting Bibby instead of AJ/Lue. Lue said it himself. It was a big upgrade at the point. I think Flip is a tough, crafty player and underrated on the defensive end. But the truth is we needed a starting caliber scorer. I credit Sund for recognizing that. I look forward to Crawford and JJ being in the game together. I think it will get JJ closer to the basket to post up some weaker players with Crawford as an outside threat. Not having Bibby as the only outside threat should open up PT for Teague. Let's face it. Woody wants PGs that can shoot long range jumpers.