• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dolphins at Falcons discussion

Admin

Can Pennington actually hit a WR past 12-15 yards? It doesn't look like it to me. I have nothing against the guy, but it doesn't look to me like he can stretch a defense. That really helped the Falcons today.

Yeah, he threw a ball 50+ yards to Ginn in the pre-season so I know that he can do it. The problem is that the line wasn't protecting him and he can't scramble so he kept throwing to his check downs. He certainly doesn't have a strong arm and I'm looking forward to the day when Henne (or maybe Pat White) takes over for him but he's definitely not the reason why Miami lost yesterday. If we actually blocked someone and held onto the ball it would have been a different game but the Falcons were far more energetic and played much more physically.

If we actually blocked someone and held onto the ball it would have been a different game but the Falcons were far more energetic and played much more physically.

If we actually hit our field goals and took advantage of the FORCED turnovers things would have been much worse.

Congrats to the Birds.

Everyone played well with the exception of Elam.

Next up is the Panthers and they looked really bad yesterday. Delhomme was 7/17 with 4 ints and only 77 yards. Hopefully we can beat them back down to the basement of the NFL South, with Tampa, next Sunday.

If we actually hit our field goals and took advantage of the FORCED turnovers things would have been much worse.

Defensive are we? I never said that the turnovers weren't FORCED I just said if we held onto the ball. But just as a little FYI fumbles can be prevented if you protect the ball even with big hits. The only turnover that happened yesterday that I can't blame on not protecting the ball was the INT. None of those 3 fumbles should ever happen no matter how hard you're hit.

Defensive are we? I never said that the turnovers weren't FORCED I just said if we held onto the ball. But just as a little FYI fumbles can be prevented if you protect the ball even with big hits. The only turnover that happened yesterday that I can't blame on not protecting the ball was the INT. None of those 3 fumbles should ever happen no matter how hard you're hit.

Actually Dolfan, the one that Mike Peterson forced probably would have happened because he put his helmet right on the ball with that tackle.

Actually Dolfan, the one that Mike Peterson forced probably would have happened because he put his helmet right on the ball with that tackle.

Perhaps it would have still happened but there are numerous times when guys get his squarely with the helmet on the ball and it doesn't result in a turnover. Of course there are plenty of times when it does but it's not an automatic thing. The bottom line is that Miami was sloppy with the ball and were outplayed by the Atlanta defense throughout the game.

You were pretty close on the score..........much closer then me. Both teams were capable of scoring more but just didn't do it.

I was pretty sure that it was going to be a low scoring game and had Miami not committed so many turnovers the game would have been close to what I predicted that it would be. If this game happened later in the season both teams would probably score more than they did in this one though as there were plenty of mistakes by both offenses.

Very admirable of you to take your lumps from all of these Falcons fans, Dolf.

I was shocked at how well the Falcons defense played; I certainly did not expect that and it bodes really well for the rest of the year. Last year's D did not generate many TOs at all. Peterson is an instant upgrade over Brooking and it looks like Biermann is going to keep JA98 off the field.

John Abraham abused Jake Long all day - that is a great D-end and Long has to take his lumps as a 2nd year player but you still hope for more from your top draft pick. If the Parcells hire had gone through for the Birds he very well could be your starting left tackle if he had fallen to 3...funny how things work out sometimes.

I think both offenses were not exceptionally sharp but that should improve for both as the year wears on. I watched quite a few West Va games over the past few years and I honestly had no idea Pat White could fling it that far. If he can settle down and get some seasoning he could be a decent weapon back there in the future.

The Dolphins front 7 was stout - as we all know Atl has one of the league's finest rushing attacks and there was nothing for Michael Turner all day long.

As you said the Falcons thoroughly dominated the game and the final score was not really indicative of how things went, but I think both teams have something to build on. I know we'll miss Harry Douglass but it looks like Smith and Dimitroff et al really have this thing rolling in the right direction.

Edited by jhay610

Very admirable of you to take your lumps from all of these Falcons fans, Dolf.

I was shocked at how well the Falcons defense played; I certainly did not expect that and it bodes really well for the rest of the year. Last year's D did not generate many TOs at all. Peterson is an instant upgrade over Brooking and it looks like Biermann is going to keep JA98 off the field.

John Abraham abused Jake Long all day - that is a great D-end and Long has to take his lumps as a 2nd year player but you still hope for more from your top draft pick. If the Parcells hire had gone through for the Birds he very well could be your starting left tackle if he had fallen to 3...funny how things work out sometimes.

I think both offenses were not exceptionally sharp but that should improve for both as the year wears on. I watched quite a few West Va games over the past few years and I honestly had no idea Pat White could fling it that far. If he can settle down and get some seasoning he could be a decent weapon back there in the future.

The Dolphins front 7 was stout - as we all know Atl has one of the league's finest rushing attacks and there was nothing for Michael Turner all day long.

As you said the Falcons thoroughly dominated the game and the final score was not really indicative of how things went, but I think both teams have something to build on. I know we'll miss Harry Douglass but it looks like Smith and Dimitroff et al really have this thing rolling in the right direction.

Thank you, I certainly don't mind taking my lumps and giving the Falcons credit where it's deserved.

It looks like Peterson is a HUGE upgrade over Brooking and it has to make you wonder where the Falcons might have gotten to last year if Peterson had already replaced Brooking.

I look forward to seeing you guys in Miami in 2010!

Well I read an article in which it said the Falcons' coaching staff were putting their players in some peculiar situations during the preseason to see what the players could and couldn't handle.

In other words they put them in a position to fail to see how they would adjust.

I thought it was the stupidest sounding conspiracy theory I'd ever heard. I'm still not buying it.

I told anyone that wanted to listen yesterday at the tailgate that the Dolphins did not pose a big matchup problem for us because our Secondary is our problem. Chad Pennington can't throw the ball more than 15 yards. The Falcons Dline is deep - I didn't and don't foresee the Birds having much trouble defensively against run oriented teams.

Well I read an article in which it said the Falcons' coaching staff were putting their players in some peculiar situations during the preseason to see what the players could and couldn't handle.

In other words they put them in a position to fail to see how they would adjust.

I thought it was the stupidest sounding conspiracy theory I'd ever heard. I'm still not buying it.

I told anyone that wanted to listen yesterday at the tailgate that the Dolphins did not pose a big matchup problem for us because our Secondary is our problem. Chad Pennington can't throw the ball more than 15 yards. The Falcons Dline is deep - I didn't and don't foresee the Birds having much trouble defensively against run oriented teams.

First, nice sig!

I don't know how comfortable I'd feel about the run defense based on yesterday as the Dolphins ran the ball fairly well and I think as a team averaged 4.5 yards per carry which isn't awful but you'd certainly like to have that number under 4. The problem is that the Miami coaching staff didn't dedicate themselves to the run and that's why we only had about 95 yards rushing. The pass defense and pass rush was much better than I thought it would be though but as you said Miami isn't a good test of the secondary.

Pennington was fine but Jake Long looked like a turnstile out there and we were fumbling the ball away every other possession. I did see that Pat White has an absolute cannon on him though as he overthrew Teddy Ginn by 5 yards on the bomb which Pennington couldn't dream of doing.

Ginn, Long, Hartline, soon to be Henne...Miami's offense is going to be all Mich/OSU! I don't know if that's a good thing...lol. Intersting converstations com the third week of November!