• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Johnson says he can be an ELITE player in the NBA

JTB

As we all know recently this week JJ did not sign an extension with us and thats probably the biggest talk about JJ when mentioning his name. But I havent really heard many comments about JJ's comment of stating: "My sole focus right now is on this team and what we're trying to accomplish this season," Johnson said. "I have some goals set for this season for my team, and I have some individual goals set for myself as well. I really feel like I can be one of the elite players in this league, and it's going to be an exciting year."[/b] While Im excited to hear JJ say something like this I only ask why does he feel all of a sudden now he can be an elite player in this league?

Questions to squawkers:

Is crawford making JJ step his game up to be an elite player?

Is JJ just getting cocky because of the new team thats around him?

What elite is:

I ask you hawksquawkers does JJ know what elite means.

-Does he know that elite players take over in a game when needed? Especially in playoffs! Something he's only done once, which was amazing!

-Does he know elite players are leaders on and off the court? JJ is our team captain but has not been a great LEADER!

-Does he know elite players dont go night after night of averaging LESS than their average pts, rebs, etc.? JJ struggles every year at some point of the year and he acts like he cant even make a shot sometimes during his struggling moments!

-Does JJ realizes he has to get his team involved in every game? Wheather he's getting doubled or not? A Elite player like lebron and kobe can do it! So since he can be elite I expect JJ to be able to do it this season as well!

-An just to throw this out there JJ needs to show some damn emotion on the court winning or losing! Show some damn passion for the game! Im sick of seeing this: http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/joe_johnson-arton21040-240x240.jpg after he makes big plays or after we lose a game real bad. Thats not even a happy or mad face it's a I dont give a damn look! come on JJ!

All in all maybe JJ can be elite and put his name in there with the KOBE'S, LEBRON'S, & WADE'S. but i honestly would have to see a complete new JJ this season and for the rest of his career!

AFTER READING THIS CAN JJ BE ELITE AN ACTUALLY CHANGE OR IS HE ALL TALK?

That's a tough question. The first thing that comes to my mind is that he said that when he first came to Atlanta. I feel like Joe Johnson has been around for awhile in this league, and as good as he is, I think he's reached his celling.

When I think of Joe Johnson, I think of Brandon Roy... he's the most joe-like player in the league to me. I can definitely see Roy becoming an elite player. I think joe will always have to take a back seat to somebody better. (Pippen anybody?)

• Premium Member

My opinion is that it's contract time and JJ wants to go out and prove that he's better than his last contract. Can he be elite? Well, it depends on what he does offensively. Is Crawford putting pressure on him? I believe he has to. Crawford is a 20 ppg scorer. He's everything that JJ is. IF he comes in and does what JJ can do at a fraction of the price, the question will be... why are we paying JJ so much.

I don't think he is athletically explosive enough to be in the elite tier. I do think moving him to SF would maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

No he is not elite but he is good enough to carry a team some nights; just not every night which is what elite means to me. I hope like hell he does not pull a Harrington and shoot the damn ball everytime he touches it this year. ISO Joe is bad enough already...

No he is not elite but he is good enough to carry a team some nights; just not every night which is what elite means to me. I hope like hell he does not pull a Harrington and shoot the damn ball everytime he touches it this year. ISO Joe is bad enough already...

speaking about iso joe, think back when he was with the suns, a team with a great play maker with an offensive plan. he was pretty good already. with us, can he blame woodson or the team with lack of offensive strategy?

and i believe we talked about this 4 years ago about him a elite player. why are we still not sure about joe johnson an elite player in the nba?

speaking about iso joe, think back when he was with the suns, a team with a great play maker with an offensive plan. he was pretty good already. with us, can he blame woodson or the team with lack of offensive strategy?

and i believe we talked about this 4 years ago about him a elite player. why are we still not sure about joe johnson an elite player in the nba?

Yes and four years later he is not elite. JJ is a solid all-star. If I have to compare him to a player at the same postion, Michael Finley comes to mind when he was in his hey day. Finley nor JJ will ever be considered elite; but both could light you up and carry a team on some nights.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

That's a tough question. The first thing that comes to my mind is that he said that when he first came to Atlanta. I feel like Joe Johnson has been around for awhile in this league, and as good as he is, I think he's reached his celling.

When I think of Joe Johnson, I think of Brandon Roy... he's the most joe-like player in the league to me. I can definitely see Roy becoming an elite player. I think joe will always have to take a back seat to somebody better. (Pippen anybody?)

Pippen wasn't elite? :( Didn't he lead the Bulls to the Conference Finals (sans MJ)? Only time I'd agree with that is if we're talking Rockets, Blazers, and the Chi return.

Other than that, I get what you're saying though ... IMO Joe's not aggressive enough to reach that elite tier. Not consistently anyways... be great if he was.

My opinion is that it's contract time and JJ wants to go out and prove that he's better than his last contract. Can he be elite? Well, it depends on what he does offensively. Is Crawford putting pressure on him? I believe he has to. Crawford is a 20 ppg scorer. He's everything that JJ is. IF he comes in and does what JJ can do at a fraction of the price, the question will be... why are we paying JJ so much.

oh my! i never thought about that! very good point!

Yes and four years later he is not elite. JJ is a solid all-star. If I have to compare him to a player at the same postion, Michael Finley comes to mind when he was in his hey day. Finley nor JJ will ever be considered elite; but both could light you up and carry a team on some nights.

true johnson isnt elite 4 years later but i think the big question is that our solid all star jj is now stating out of his own mouth that he can be one of the elite players of NBA. I dont see how but maybe he will do it. maybe we will see jj actually dunking and just being alot more athletic this year! probably not but maybe! LOL

I think JJ needs to work on this athletic ability.

Starting with some weights and get some dam explosiveness. Which at his age is still possible.

Develop a post move when he is taller than who is guarding him

Needs to attack the basket and get to the FT.

Learn how to pass out the double team alot sooner than he does

Come out the dam game when the coach pulls him out. Lead by example.

I think he needs to maybe get a chip on his shoulder like Kobe had. When people say he cant win without Shaq.

Besides Wade most elite players have a nice supporting cast around them. Now that JJ has that this is his chance to show he is elite or at least play above the level he has been playing at. At least its a contract year so i know he going to be playing his *ss off..lol

To me, JJ being "elite" has nothing to do with him trying to play like Kobe, Lebron or Wade. He's nowhere near as athletic as they are, so he shouldn't try to play like them, or should fans expect an "elite" JJ to play like that. They are athletic freaks who are slashers first, and jumpshooters 2nd ( although Kobe can do bith equally well )

To me, an "elite" JJ becomes one of the most deadliest shooters in the league.

That's what he is . . . a shooter . . not a slasher.

So if anything, an "elite" JJ plays like a cross between Mitch Richmond and Reggie Miller . . with Clyde Drexler's playmaking ability. Or in modern day terms . . he plays more like a better shooting, but less slashing version of Paul Pierce ( who shows flashes of elite play from time to time )

JJ's ppg total of 21 - 22 ppg doesn't have to increase. But if he's going to be "elite", ne needs to be shooting close to 50% FG . . over 40% 3FG . . and close to 85% FT. That's "shootng guard" elite numbers.

The fact that Joe has opted not to sign an extension means that he is on the market next year. Obviously NBA players want more money and this is just a way to keep his options open, but he needs to prove he is worth it. He needs to be more of leader and I think he will now that we have Crawford. But he is still our franchise player. How well they do this year will determine whether he stays with the Hawks but I think they are only a few moves away from reaching the Finals.