• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Hawks guard Jamal Crawford has been every bit as good as advertised in training camp, and then some.

jerrywest

Watching Jamal Crawford explode the way he did in Sunday's scrimmage was the first real indicator of just how deep and potentially explosive this team could be. He didn't just attack the Blue team (starters and a couple reserves), he went directly at Joe Johnson (haven't seen anyone do that before now either) with the scrimmage on the line and finished (Joe had an open look from the corner that could have won it for the Blue team but his jumper didn't fall). While it was a bit of a shock to the system of those that have been watching the Hawks the past few years, Crawford didn't seem particularly fazed by his performance. I mean, he's not cocky in the least bit but the man knows he's good. He knows he can score at will, regardless of who is trying to guard him. I think everyone else knows it now.

"With Jamal and Jeff Teague, we have a dynamic we haven't had since I've been here," said Hawks forward Josh Smith. "We're bringing two guards off the bench that can score every bit as good as our starting guards. That's a nasty group right there, when you can put your backup guards in and still keep the pressure on. If we do it right, we're going to be coming at you from so many different angles that you're going to need a while to figure out where it's coming from. And hopefully by then, we'll have shifted into another gear on you and made you think it all over again. It's going to be fun to see us in action once we get this thing cranked up."

Click the link for the rest...

http://blogs.ajc.com...fid=blogs_hawks

Edited - Please don't type the subject in all caps.

Teague is getting the hype. Hope he is that good and gets minutes. But someone like Dixon could supplant his minutes. But either way the guards coming off the bench are a definately upgrade.

Did like the input on who is vying for the open spots. That's exciting.

We could have the most explosive and talented backcourt group in the NBA. What a change from the days of BK and small forward city...

• Premium Member

I still believe that the pressure should still be placed flatly on Marvin to produce. IF Marvin is not productive, then JJ goes to the 3 and Craw to the 2. We shouldn't punish Crawford for BK's mistake.

I still believe that the pressure should still be placed flatly on Marvin to produce. IF Marvin is not productive, then JJ goes to the 3 and Craw to the 2. We shouldn't punish Crawford for BK's mistake.

I'm assuming you're talking about his scoring. If almost 14 a game isn't good enough, what would be so Craw doesn't take his starting job?

I agree that the pressure should still be placed on Marvin to produce. That does mean that people like Crawford are going to have to be willing to get him ball when wide open. If anybody should be the beneficiary of a dynamic guard being on the team, it should be Marvin. He's going to get a lot of wide open looks and opportunities to finish on the fast break with this group of guards.

Marvin averaging 17 ppg is better than Crawford averaging 17 ppg, because Marvin should be able to do it more efficiently.

But because Crawford has historically been a defensive liability, starting Crawford is NOT AN OPTION. Not when you know that JJ is a good defensive 2 and Marvin is a good defensive 3.

Offense doesn't win in this league. Defense and rebounding does.

I'm assuming you're talking about his scoring. If almost 14 a game isn't good enough, what would be so Craw doesn't take his starting job?

Just think to yourself Buck, if Woody wouldn't even start or play Joe for long stretches at the 3 last year when Marv was injured, instead choosing to go with the 6'4.5" Mo Evans and still keeping Flip as a key reserve, why would he turn heel on his philosophy now?

Your one track thinking turn every thread into a Marvin threat.

Marvin is one of the better rebounding small forwards in the league. Not many small forwards can guard both shooting guards and power forwards as well as Marvin.

Jamal has been one of the worst, if not the worst, rebounders and defenders in the shooting guard position in the league for a long time.

Why do you want the Hawks to be small in all 5 starting positions? Like Northside, I see Marvin play really well next to Crawford and JJ. He'll get all kinds of open shots.

Marvin is one of the better rebounding small forwards in the league. Not many small forwards can guard both shooting guards and power forwards as well as Marvin.

Jamal has been one of the worst, if not the worst, rebounders and defenders in the shooting guard position in the league for a long time.

Why do you want the Hawks to be small in all 5 starting positions? Like Northside, I see Marvin play really well next to Crawford and JJ. He'll get all kinds of open shots.

Did you expect anything less from the anti Marvin dude? Its good Smoove, bad Marvin and everything else he post about is pretty vanilla...like you said one track thinking. We have one of the most explosive and exciting backcourt groups in the NBA; just another opportunity to bust on Marvin lol

Back on topic....I think Sund understands that we cannot beat Garnett, Shaq, or Howard. So if our frontline can just hold serve, our backcourt will be the difference for us when it comes to winning some really big games this year...Go Hawks!

I agree that the pressure should still be placed on Marvin to produce. That does mean that people like Crawford are going to have to be willing to get him ball when wide open. If anybody should be the beneficiary of a dynamic guard being on the team, it should be Marvin. He's going to get a lot of wide open looks and opportunities to finish on the fast break with this group of guards.

Marvin averaging 17 ppg is better than Crawford averaging 17 ppg, because Marvin should be able to do it more efficiently.

But because Crawford has historically been a defensive liability, starting Crawford is NOT AN OPTION. Not when you know that JJ is a good defensive 2 and Marvin is a good defensive 3.

Offense doesn't win in this league. Defense and rebounding does.

I'm not sure if more pressure should be put on Marvin to produce compared to any other Hawk on the team. Every starter should have expectations. All we've heard is how well Teague has been playing and his huge talent...doesn't mean to me if Bibby stinks up the joint the first few games of the year, that we bench him and put him in our second unit. I agree 100% Marvin is efficient in his scoring. He's not a chucker or a one-on-one phenom. He scores given the opportunity, and is able to penetrate - which gets him to the FT line as well as anyone on the team. His defense and rebounding speaks for itself. To me, unless Marvin puts up Jordanesque offensive numbers, he will always be a flop to certain people around here which is unfair to him, and the team.

I'm not sure if more pressure should be put on Marvin to produce compared to any other Hawk on the team. Every starter should have expectations. All we've heard is how well Teague has been playing and his huge talent...doesn't mean to me if Bibby stinks up the joint the first few games of the year, that we bench him and put him in our second unit. I agree 100% Marvin is efficient in his scoring. He's not a chucker or a one-on-one phenom. He scores given the opportunity, and is able to penetrate - which gets him to the FT line as well as anyone on the team. His defense and rebounding speaks for itself. To me, unless Marvin puts up Jordanesque offensive numbers, he will always be a flop to certain people around here which is unfair to him, and the team.

I expect to see improvement from our three youngsters (Marvin, Smith, and Horford) and the reason I single them out is they ar still young. If that happens and our backcourt combinations are as good as they look on paper, we are going to be tough to keep up with over 4 quarters.

I expect to see improvement from our three youngsters (Marvin, Smith, and Horford) and the reason I single them out is they ar still young. If that happens and our backcourt combinations are as good as they look on paper, we are going to be tough to keep up with over 4 quarters.

Improvement, yes, pressure to succeed, no. For example, Horford has (probably been asked) to increase his range as a jump shooter. Would I like to see it, of course! But I don't believe he should be judged as far as playing time, being benched - like suggested with Marvin - as he's not doing what he's able to do as a player and how he helps the Hawks.

If Marvin's sole purpose is to score more and he doesn't, he shouldn't be replaced on a whim. He brings other things to the team that if his average were to drop from 13.9 to 11.4, he needs to be benched.

Except Marvin, all our starters saw their backups got upgraded. Pressure? what pressure. We need Stackhouse to put any pressure on him.

Pressure to do what? Score more? I don't think Stackhouse brings anything than the ability to score more. With the team set up as it is, Marvin won't need to be a 20ppg scorer. Which brings me back to my original argument, what does Marvin need to do - other than score more than 14ppg - that would warrant him to be benched so Craws can play the 2, and JJ the 3?

Improvement, yes, pressure to succeed, no. For example, Horford has (probably been asked) to increase his range as a jump shooter. Would I like to see it, of course! But I don't believe he should be judged as far as playing time, being benched - like suggested with Marvin - as he's not doing what he's able to do as a player and how he helps the Hawks.

If Marvin's sole purpose is to score more and he doesn't, he shouldn't be replaced on a whim. He brings other things to the team that if his average were to drop from 13.9 to 11.4, he needs to be benched.

They are in the NBA playing against the best in world in front of a national audience; that is more than enough pressure to succeed in itself. I'd like to see some baby steps...Marvin taking more shots...Smoove taking smarter shots...Horf developing better in the post on offense. All three should be able to accomplish this; I would also like Smoove to increase his rebounds per game instead of decreasing as he has the last the two years.

These are simple things that I think are attainable and would love to see happen. Now back on topic....Crawford will at least equal Flips production and quite possibly exceed it!

• Premium Member

I want the hawks to put the most productive 5 out there. Marvin has done absolutely none of the things that you guys credit him for. You look for something to validate him every year and every year, he falls short. The guy has never been an impact player, he's an over glorified ROLE player. IS it any surprise that Crawford is showing leadership already. IS it any surprise that Crawford looks like he can easily replace JJ if he were asked to? And yet, it's no surprise that some of you think it's better for him to sit on the bench behind Marvin because Marvin still needs time to develop. Get a new song man. We're going into Year 6 of Marvin needs more time. I have a new truth for you. Marvin has developed. He has developed into a role player who does not create a great impact when he's on the floor. He lacks aggressiveness. He lacks a consistent offensive game to speak off. And even though people say he's our best defender, I have yet to see his defense make a difference against anybody. Turn the excuse machine off this year and let's be honest.

• Premium Member

I'm not sure if more pressure should be put on Marvin to produce compared to any other Hawk on the team. Every starter should have expectations.

Once again. This year. I will go back to it... Give me your expectations in HARD numbers for Marvin during this 2009-2010 season.

14/7/3 That's what I need from Marvin.

Another hijacked thread! Lets do this the right way...since its a Crawford thread, what are your expectations for Jamal this season?

Here are mine:

16 ppg

4 asst

2 boards

1 steal

In the running for 6th man of the year award!

Edited by Buzzard