• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Hawks guard Jamal Crawford has been every bit as good as advertised in training camp, and then some.

jerrywest

• Premium Member

Yes we do! This is such an obvious thing that only someone with an agenda would ignore it. Joe is the focal point of the offense. With Joe in the lineup, the pecking order for touches is drastically changed. Marvin is currently tied for the 4th option with Horford, behind Joe, Josh, Bibby. There are only about 100 shots a game to go around. Starters are on the floor about 2/3rds of the time. so that's about 66 shots to go between 5 starters. That's 13 shots a game. Law of averages say you make 50%. that's 13 points a game for a typical NBA starter. Marvin more than meets the criteria for a 4th offensive option. Who sets that priority? The coach.

This Marvin bashing is out of control and needs to stop. It's ridiculous. Who can honestly argue with the evidence of when he was called on to perform he went for 26.5 ppg and 8.5 rpg but the second Joe returned he went back to a 13 point a game guy. It's obvious the issue is offensive scheme. It is no different than why the heck is Josh constantly at the perimeter having to bail out a guard with 5 seconds on the clock. Again, it's offensive scheme centered around Joe Johnson. ISO Joe is just ISO Jordan 18 years later, with the only difference being that Joe isn't Jordan.

It's irritating to go through this every day and more importantly to see legitimate threads hijacked by this nonsense at every opportunity. You criticized Exodus for calling on the 20 Free throw game asking if it was 2 years ago in a pickup game with his family. You didn't even have the facts to draw on what game he was talking about. This is being blind to the facts on Marvin. Marvin is a solid defensive contributor and efficient offensive player that is not the focal point of the offense and for the life of me I can't figure out why he, Josh and Horford are not more focused on. 3 man games with 1 guard and big in a pick and roll with a wing cutter seems like a far better use of our talent to me but as long as ISO Joe is working and giving you fuel to bash Marvin, I say we roll with that.

Joe is not the reason that Marvin sits behind Josh and Bibby as a scoring option. Marvin is the reason.Once again, everything wrong with Marvin must be somebody else's fault. Please tune up your excuse machine.

Joe is not the reason that Marvin sits behind Josh and Bibby as a scoring option. Marvin is the reason.Once again, everything wrong with Marvin must be somebody else's fault. Please tune up your excuse machine.

I did not say Joe is the reason I said offense philosophy is the reason and the biggest cog of that philosophy is ISO Joe and yes it is.

Diesel there are 5 players and 1 basketball. Someone has to be a 4th option. The players do not determine that. The coaches do.

2008 -2009 season stat. FGA/G

Joe - 17.97

Bibby - 12.72

Josh - 12.30

Marvin - 10.2

Flip - 9.94

Horford - 8.87

Flip Murray.....the bench player averaged more attempts than our starting center. That is wrong on so many levels. This is a guard dominated offense.

Top 3 guards took 40.63 shots a game.

Top 3 big men took 31.37

There are only 2 guards on the floor at one time. Think about this....your point guard (distributor) and your Shooting guard took almost the exact number of shots as 3 other players that are your young core you are trying to build your franchise around. This is basketball chaos run amouk. If this is Marvin's problem then it's an even bigger problem for Horford and almost as big a problem for Josh Smith who most of this board screams shoots too much.

The highest percentage shooters of the starting 5 are 6, 3, 4 in FGA/G. That tells you the system is seriously flawed and it is not the fault of the players...yes Diesel...even Marvin.

I did not say Joe is the reason I said offense philosophy is the reason and the biggest cog of that philosophy is ISO Joe and yes it is.

Diesel there are 5 players and 1 basketball. Someone has to be a 4th option. The players do not determine that. The coaches do.

2008 -2009 season stat. FGA/G

Joe - 17.97

Bibby - 12.72

Josh - 12.30

Marvin - 10.2

Flip - 9.94

Horford - 8.87

Flip Murray.....the bench player averaged more attempts than our starting center. That is wrong on so many levels. This is a guard dominated offense.

Top 3 guards took 40.63 shots a game.

Top 3 big men took 31.37

There are only 2 guards on the floor at one time. Think about this....your point guard (distributor) and your Shooting guard took almost the exact number of shots as 3 other players that are your young core you are trying to build your franchise around. This is basketball chaos run amouk. If this is Marvin's problem then it's an even bigger problem for Horford and almost as big a problem for Josh Smith who most of this board screams shoots too much.

The highest percentage shooters of the starting 5 are 6, 3, 4 in FGA/G. That tells you the system is seriously flawed and it is not the fault of the players...yes Diesel...even Marvin.

The system is not seriously flawed. Most teams will see their guards take a lot of shots, even if they shoot a lower percentage than the big man.

What usually determines if a guy can be a #1 or #2 scoring option, is if he can create his own shot. This is one of the main reasons why Diesel is a Crawford advocate. Problem is, Crawford is perennially one of the most inefficient players in the league, for the amount of shots he takes. So having a guy like that taking a lot of shots, is detrimental to the team as a whole.

The reason why Horford gets so little shot attempts, is because he's not good at creating his own shot. He's decent at catching and turning to take the open 15 footer. But if you throw the ball down low to him, more often than not, he's not going to make a basket or draw a foul. If he could just draw fouls, more of the offense would be ran through him, to give us that ouside-inside threat. If he had the 15 footer, plus the ability to create his shot or draw a foul down on the block ( like a Carlos Boozer ), it would be stupid NOT to get Horford 13 - 16 shots a game. He would shoot a high percentage, plus be able to get to the free throw line.

Josh Smith, while just as ineffective down on the block, does have an advantage over most PFs in the league. And that is his speed. He's able to create his own shot by simply beating his man off the dribble or down the court for a lay-up or dunk.

Marvin can catch and shoot, and drive to the basket. What he hasn't perfected yet, is the pull-up jumper off the dribble. For a wing, that kind of prevents him from being a top scoring option. If he plays the 4 though, he's shown that he kind of uses the same things that Josh Smith uses ( quickness ), to create scoring opportunities for himself. And his jumpshooting ability when he plays the 4 becomes a real asset.

But the thing about this whole discussion is this. If you give just about ANY DECENT OFFENSIVE GUY in this league 15+ shots a game, he'll be able to average somewhere around 18 - 20 ppg. Smoove could do it. Horford could do it. And Marvin could do it. Flip could do it. Even Salim Stoudamire could do it. But JJ is the guy we WANT doing it, because he can not only make open shots, he can make tough shots while being guarded, and create opportunities for others.

People say that ISO Joe is ineffective. I say that ISO Joe actually helps other guys get wide open looks, when teams go to double team JJ. If they don't double him, he simply takes the smaller guard off the dribble or shoots right over him ( unless he's a great defensive guard ). While not on Kobe's, Wade's, or Lebron's level, JJ has proven that he's a potent enough of an offensive player that you have to double team him on occasion.

A free-flowing ball movement offense would be great here. But it's only great if people can knock down shots, and create their own shot on occasion. You also have to be highly efficient in a free-flowing offense. If not, you have a situation like you have at Golden St., with a bunch of guys just running and gunning, without winning many games.

The system is not seriously flawed. Most teams will see their guards take a lot of shots, even if they shoot a lower percentage than the big man.

What usually determines if a guy can be a #1 or #2 scoring option, is if he can create his own shot. This is one of the main reasons why Diesel is a Crawford advocate. Problem is, Crawford is perennially one of the most inefficient players in the league, for the amount of shots he takes. So having a guy like that taking a lot of shots, is detrimental to the team as a whole.

The reason why Horford gets so little shot attempts, is because he's not good at creating his own shot. He's decent at catching and turning to take the open 15 footer. But if you throw the ball down low to him, more often than not, he's not going to make a basket or draw a foul. If he could just draw fouls, more of the offense would be ran through him, to give us that ouside-inside threat. If he had the 15 footer, plus the ability to create his shot or draw a foul down on the block ( like a Carlos Boozer ), it would be stupid NOT to get Horford 13 - 16 shots a game. He would shoot a high percentage, plus be able to get to the free throw line.

Josh Smith, while just as ineffective down on the block, does have an advantage over most PFs in the league. And that is his speed. He's able to create his own shot by simply beating his man off the dribble or down the court for a lay-up or dunk.

Marvin can catch and shoot, and drive to the basket. What he hasn't perfected yet, is the pull-up jumper off the dribble. For a wing, that kind of prevents him from being a top scoring option. If he plays the 4 though, he's shown that he kind of uses the same things that Josh Smith uses ( quickness ), to create scoring opportunities for himself. And his jumpshooting ability when he plays the 4 becomes a real asset.

But the thing about this whole discussion is this. If you give just about ANY DECENT OFFENSIVE GUY in this league 15+ shots a game, he'll be able to average somewhere around 18 - 20 ppg. Smoove could do it. Horford could do it. And Marvin could do it. Flip could do it. Even Salim Stoudamire could do it. But JJ is the guy we WANT doing it, because he can not only make open shots, he can make tough shots while being guarded, and create opportunities for others.

People say that ISO Joe is ineffective. I say that ISO Joe actually helps other guys get wide open looks, when teams go to double team JJ. If they don't double him, he simply takes the smaller guard off the dribble or shoots right over him ( unless he's a great defensive guard ). While not on Kobe's, Wade's, or Lebron's level, JJ has proven that he's a potent enough of an offensive player that you have to double team him on occasion.

A free-flowing ball movement offense would be great here. But it's only great if people can knock down shots, and create their own shot on occasion. You also have to be highly efficient in a free-flowing offense. If not, you have a situation like you have at Golden St., with a bunch of guys just running and gunning, without winning many games.

I'm not a fan of Woody's offensive scheme. I'm not an advocate of ISO Joe, but I don't think it's ineffective. Our win totals the last couple of years should put to rest anyone that thinks it's ineffective. I do agree that Joe gets other guys wide open looks - but it's a double edged sword b/c - the guy is usually Bibby getting the wide open look. Bibby doesn't score off the dribble much anymore, and he's not scoring by taking it to the basket. Also, the doubles are coming to JJ not because he's a dynamite scorer, it's because our track record, and scouting reports shows, that's all we do and he is option #1. This is where I get frustrated. We have too many talented, athletic players that are not being utilized on the offensive end like they should be. Josh Smith, Al Horford, Marvin Williams, etc. should not stand around and be watching JJ pound the ball. Which brings me to your last sentence....YES! A free flowing - more importantly, ball movement, offense would be great here. There's always a time and place for 1 on 1 basketball, it's the NBA. I get it. But, I hope Woody has some wrinkles in the offense this year. We're not going to get where all of us want to be unless our offense changes.

• Moderators

We have too many talented, athletic players that are not being utilized on the offensive end like they should be. Josh Smith, Al Horford, Marvin Williams, etc. should not stand around and be watching JJ pound the ball. Which brings me to your last sentence....YES! A free flowing - more importantly, ball movement, offense would be great here. There's always a time and place for 1 on 1 basketball, it's the NBA. I get it. But, I hope Woody has some wrinkles in the offense this year. We're not going to get where all of us want to be unless our offense changes.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

:lighter:

:clap:

• Premium Member

Good post. My first response is here...

Crawford has never played on a winning team before. His experiences have been on a young Chicago team with bad coaching and no vets.

On a NY team with bad coaching and a bunch of guys stopping in every night to pick up a paycheck.

and

On a GS team that runned and gunned and asked him to be an unconscious scorer.

Bad things happen on losing teams. First thing is that nobody buys into philosophies such as team defense and sacrifice.

Right now, we are a winning team with good pieces. Crawford is looking around and I'm sure that his game is going to be very different than what it has been.

My model for this is JJ.

In his first few years here, JJ was a ball hog. We were very losing. JJ lacked veteran help so the games broke down to Iso Joe.

Welp, now we pass the ball around a lot better since the addition of Bibby. We have guys who embrace their roles.

I think Bibs is looking to be that elder statesman who coaches on the floor and works with the young players to get them to his level or beyond.

I think that Crawford humbly accepted taking his role off the bench.

I'm going to wait and see if Smoove lets up on the longball.

The point is that with winning came a difference in how our players played.

Before Bibbs JJ averaged 4.4 apg.

The last 2 years, he averaged 5.8 apg.

That's a huge jump. He has become a better distributor because he has had better talent around him.

Moroever, our team excels as you said with guys who can create off the dribble. I think Jamal Crawford is a gold medalist in this. IF Murray was a soldier at creating off the dribble, then Crawford is going to be a Full Battalion. I'm not going to hang any millstones around Crawford's neck until I see him play with our guys.

Edited by Diesel

• Premium Member

I have a little disagreement here. Not much. I think that Iso Joe was not really effective because teams knew what to do. Joe is not the first Iso guy we have had. Before him we had 2 others. Shareef was an Iso guy. Iso-Reef failed beautifully. Reef would get you 20. easily. However, teams knew that if you want to stop the Hawks double Reef when he gets the ball. For all of his artistry in basketball, nobody ever taught Reef how to pass out of a double team.... Nor did Reef have the atheltic ability to overcome every double. What eventually happened is we traded the one guy who could have made Iso Reef work = Toni Kukoc. Kukoc didn't have to throw Reef the ball until Reef got his spot. We traded Toni for Big Dog and the rest is a sad story.

The other Iso guy we had was Iso Nique. Nique was probably one of the best Iso guys to ever play the game... and I include Jordan. Nique didn't get the calls Jordan got but Nique had 2 things. MOVES and UPS. Nique is one of the throwback Sfs who could actually handle the ball as well as a PG. One of those throwback guys with hands big enough tocontrol his dribble and grasp the ball while he did outrageous things with it. Really the only guy in his class as far as Iso guys go was Dr. J. Dr. J. was a great Iso guy in the ABA and some of his years in the NBA because he could hang with the eagles. Nique was a great Iso guy because he had great strength and his goal in his early years was to get to the rim. That means that most of the ime you saw Nique he was Moving. Most of the time Nique had the ball, he was going full speed. He was not a stand still guy like Reef. Nique was moving with the ball, looking to explode the the rim.

Joe is a mix of Both Nique and Shareef. He has the ball handling of Nique... but he can work out of a post up position like Reef. However, when the double comes, like Reef, Joe doesn't really hit guys in their spots. That's the problem. I think if Joe learned to work as a guy who doesn't need the ball and moved without the ball.. he'd be just as good if not better and we'd be better. Now Nique never passed out of a double situation either... because when you're constantly moving the double has a hard time getting there. Plus, Nique was athletic enough to go airborne. JJ doesn't have that kind of athletic ability. So when iso Joe gets doubled is when it gets disabled.

• Premium Member

I'm not a fan of Woody's offensive scheme. I'm not an advocate of ISO Joe, but I don't think it's ineffective. Our win totals the last couple of years should put to rest anyone that thinks it's ineffective. I do agree that Joe gets other guys wide open looks - but it's a double edged sword b/c - the guy is usually Bibby getting the wide open look. Bibby doesn't score off the dribble much anymore, and he's not scoring by taking it to the basket. Also, the doubles are coming to JJ not because he's a dynamite scorer, it's because our track record, and scouting reports shows, that's all we do and he is option #1. This is where I get frustrated. We have too many talented, athletic players that are not being utilized on the offensive end like they should be. Josh Smith, Al Horford, Marvin Williams, etc. should not stand around and be watching JJ pound the ball. Which brings me to your last sentence....YES! A free flowing - more importantly, ball movement, offense would be great here. There's always a time and place for 1 on 1 basketball, it's the NBA. I get it. But, I hope Woody has some wrinkles in the offense this year. We're not going to get where all of us want to be unless our offense changes.

I think that if we had another coach, we would see a quicker changing of the guard. I think that Blink is going to be a star here. He's the right guy for the job. I think he has some swagger and I think he has ability to match it. I even think Bibby wouldn't mind letting the young guy get some run... The problem I see is Woody. Woody has given his offense to Bibby. Therefore, he thinks the only way the offense is going towork is with Bibby. I believe that it will take some time and it may take Bibby asking for the change, but soon Blink will be ready.

I think that if we had another coach, we would see a quicker changing of the guard. I think that Blink is going to be a star here. He's the right guy for the job. I think he has some swagger and I think he has ability to match it. I even think Bibby wouldn't mind letting the young guy get some run... The problem I see is Woody. Woody has given his offense to Bibby. Therefore, he thinks the only way the offense is going towork is with Bibby. I believe that it will take some time and it may take Bibby asking for the change, but soon Blink will be ready.

Lord I hope Jeff Teague pans out like we all hope he does. Other than an aged Bibby, which has paid huge for us since he arrived, we still need a point guard that we can count on for a long time.

Woody simply handed off a worthless offensive gameplan to a guy that's intelligent, talented, and a veteran. His offense hasn't changed since he was first hired, it's just in much better hands with Bibby. Bibby makes up for some of Woodson's deficiency's as a head coach...and we see it by what has happened the last two years. But nor Bibby, or Crawford, or Teague is going to change the glaring fact we have no offense. Adding more talent can only get you so far....and that's not good enough for me personally. C'mon Woody, start utilizing the talent and weapons on the Hawks!! Throw in more set plays, more movement and screens, pass the ball!!!

Bibby shot 39% from 3-point range last year. The 3rd highest percentage of his career. When this team was rolling in the first third of the season, both Bibby and Marvin were shooting in the mid-40s FG% and over 40% from three.

As for the offensive movement, I can't argue with that. But this isn't college basketball, in which you can work the ball around for 20 seconds before deciding to shoot. In the NBA, even if you get the ball up court quickly, you have about 15 seconds to get a quality shot, before you have to force a shot in that final 5 seconds. If you walk it up, you have about 10 seconds.

People can continue to blame Woody. But in fairness to him, he really hasn't had the right type of players here to run a smooth offense. He hasn't had the "pass-first" PG who can run the show, nor the post player who we can throw the ball down low to, in order to play an inside-outside game. Almost all good offenses in the history of basketball has both of those elements ( unless you're Lebron James . . which shows just how special he is )

What he does have, are a bunch of athletes who can get out and run, and create offense by playing defense. We do have an interesting mix here this year though, with Teague and Crawford here.

I rag on Crawford from an efficiency standpoint, but he may well be the best playmaking PG that Woody has ever had here. Lue, AJ, Law, Ivey, and Bibby represent the PGs Woody has had. Not surprising that this team didn't do anything, until we acquired Bibby.

But if Woody can get Crawford to do what Gilbert Arenas is doing this preseason . . and that is looking to set up his teammates first, and using his God-given talent to constantly beat people off the dribble to get to the hole ( instead of settling for long jumpers ) . . he could make this offense even more efficient. But since Crawford has never played like that, we'll see if he can ( or is willing ) to do that.

I'll address my main problem with ISO Joe in Diesel's post.

I have a little disagreement here. Not much. I think that Iso Joe was not really effective because teams knew what to do. Joe is not the first Iso guy we have had. Before him we had 2 others. Shareef was an Iso guy. Iso-Reef failed beautifully. Reef would get you 20. easily. However, teams knew that if you want to stop the Hawks double Reef when he gets the ball. For all of his artistry in basketball, nobody ever taught Reef how to pass out of a double team.... Nor did Reef have the atheltic ability to overcome every double. What eventually happened is we traded the one guy who could have made Iso Reef work = Toni Kukoc. Kukoc didn't have to throw Reef the ball until Reef got his spot. We traded Toni for Big Dog and the rest is a sad story.

The other Iso guy we had was Iso Nique. Nique was probably one of the best Iso guys to ever play the game... and I include Jordan. Nique didn't get the calls Jordan got but Nique had 2 things. MOVES and UPS. Nique is one of the throwback Sfs who could actually handle the ball as well as a PG. One of those throwback guys with hands big enough tocontrol his dribble and grasp the ball while he did outrageous things with it. Really the only guy in his class as far as Iso guys go was Dr. J. Dr. J. was a great Iso guy in the ABA and some of his years in the NBA because he could hang with the eagles. Nique was a great Iso guy because he had great strength and his goal in his early years was to get to the rim. That means that most of the ime you saw Nique he was Moving. Most of the time Nique had the ball, he was going full speed. He was not a stand still guy like Reef. Nique was moving with the ball, looking to explode the the rim.

Joe is a mix of Both Nique and Shareef. He has the ball handling of Nique... but he can work out of a post up position like Reef. However, when the double comes, like Reef, Joe doesn't really hit guys in their spots. That's the problem. I think if Joe learned to work as a guy who doesn't need the ball and moved without the ball.. he'd be just as good if not better and we'd be better. Now Nique never passed out of a double situation either... because when you're constantly moving the double has a hard time getting there. Plus, Nique was athletic enough to go airborne. JJ doesn't have that kind of athletic ability. So when iso Joe gets doubled is when it gets disabled.

My main problem with ISO Joe, is that JJ is way too passive at times in the offense. Instead of waiting for the double team to come, he needs to attack it more. That's how most star guards and wings beat double teams. Wade does this the best. And Nique never waited when he got the ball. But from an athletic standpoint, JJ is more comparable to Pierce. So he should approach the double team like Pierce does. He should either shoot the ball quicker, or attack and dish, or go hard to the rim looking for contact ( to get to the FT line ).

It wasn't his best shooting game of the year, but last November's game in Boston, is the way JJ should play all the time. He took just about every open shot he had, he was in full attack mode, and he set up people well. 9 - 23 FGs isn't great by any means. But he went 8 - 9 FTs, had 7 assists, and scored 28 points in that game . . including what should've been the game winning assist to Marvin with the 3-pointer in the corner.

What I want your boy Crawford to do, is simply to play smart basketball. Just pick and choose his spots. I want to see him only have 75% of his shots be jumpers, not the 86% it was last year. Use that And-1 crossover of his to get to the hole, not to create space for his jumper. Run the fast break at a speed we haven't seen here before, with him getting easy lay-ups or assists. And use that skill in the halfcourt offense, in order to take the playmaking burden off of JJ, and have JJ play off the ball like you want him to do.

Give me a 45% FG - 38% 3FG - 5.5 assist version of Crawford . . instead of the 40% FG - 20 ppg scorer, any day of the week.

• Premium Member

My main problem with ISO Joe, is that JJ is way too passive at times in the offense. Instead of waiting for the double team to come, he needs to attack it more. That's how most star guards and wings beat double teams. Wade does this the best. And Nique never waited when he got the ball. But from an athletic standpoint, JJ is more comparable to Pierce. So he should approach the double team like Pierce does. He should either shoot the ball quicker, or attack and dish, or go hard to the rim looking for contact ( to get to the FT line ).

It wasn't his best shooting game of the year, but last November's game in Boston, is the way JJ should play all the time. He took just about every open shot he had, he was in full attack mode, and he set up people well. 9 - 23 FGs isn't great by any means. But he went 8 - 9 FTs, had 7 assists, and scored 28 points in that game . . including what should've been the game winning assist to Marvin with the 3-pointer in the corner.

What I want your boy Crawford to do, is simply to play smart basketball. Just pick and choose his spots. I want to see him only have 75% of his shots be jumpers, not the 86% it was last year. Use that And-1 crossover of his to get to the hole, not to create space for his jumper. Run the fast break at a speed we haven't seen here before, with him getting easy lay-ups or assists. And use that skill in the halfcourt offense, in order to take the playmaking burden off of JJ, and have JJ play off the ball like you want him to do.

Give me a 45% FG - 38% 3FG - 5.5 assist version of Crawford . . instead of the 40% FG - 20 ppg scorer, any day of the week.

The thing I see in Crawford playing with Joe is that he will allow Joe to not be the scorer and ballhandler at the same time. Craw at heart is a distributor who can score. On our team, he will show other teams no mercy because he has a host of offensive weapons. You have Crawford with the ball, Bibby on the perimeter and Joe on the wing and Smoove in the high post with Al in the low... And now you're in business. Crawford is the first real penetrate and dish guy that we have had here. It is going to mean a lot to our offense.People are going on Craws reputation as a volume scorer.. well the truth is with our weapons and Crawford's ability to get to the FT line.. I think we have probably the best situation for Crawford, JJ, and Bibby all rolled up in 1.I really think that Crawford will be upward of 6 assist per game if he play enough minutes.