• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Woody: Marvin can become an elite scorer

jerrywest

"Marvin's come in every year since his rookie year in great shape and he's really been consistent," Woodson said. "But he's the one guy over the next two years that I think can really make the jump to become more of an elite scorer, mostly because he can put the ball on the floor and draw fouls. He added the 3-point shot to his game last season and I think that pushed his game to another level. Now, he has to take another step."

for more: http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/hawks-williams-ready-to-161854.html

Williams has shown flashes of his scoring potential when the Hawks needed it most. Last season, with captain and All-Star Joe Johnson out sick for a two-game stretch in early February, Williams chimed in with two outstanding efforts in back-to-back road wins. He pounded Minnesota for 23 points and 10 rebounds in 94-86 win Feb. 4 and hammered Charlotte with a game-high 29 points and seven rebounds in a 102-97 win two nights later.

"That was one of the turning points of our season," Johnson said. "I was back here [in Atlanta] and I remember watching those games and thinking to myself, ‘We've got to get Marvin playing like this all the time.' If we do, we're even tougher to deal with."

"Marvin's come in every year since his rookie year in great shape and he's really been consistent," Woodson said. "But he's the one guy over the next two years that I think can really make the jump to become more of an elite scorer, mostly because he can put the ball on the floor and draw fouls. He added the 3-point shot to his game last season and I think that pushed his game to another level. Now, he has to take another step."

for more: http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/hawks-williams-ready-to-161854.html

Williams has shown flashes of his scoring potential when the Hawks needed it most. Last season, with captain and All-Star Joe Johnson out sick for a two-game stretch in early February, Williams chimed in with two outstanding efforts in back-to-back road wins. He pounded Minnesota for 23 points and 10 rebounds in 94-86 win Feb. 4 and hammered Charlotte with a game-high 29 points and seven rebounds in a 102-97 win two nights later.

"That was one of the turning points of our season," Johnson said. "I was back here [in Atlanta] and I remember watching those games and thinking to myself, ‘We've got to get Marvin playing like this all the time.' If we do, we're even tougher to deal with."

Well, lets see it. That's all I can say. Let's seem him be more than the 4th or 5th leading scorer on the team.

for more: http://www.ajc.com/s...-to-161854.html

Well, lets see it. That's all I can say. Let's seem him be more than the 4th or 5th leading scorer on the team.

Yes and lets see how serious Woody, jj, Bibby, and any other ball handler out there is about getting Marvin more touches. Woody is talking a good game; and I like him upping his expectations of Marvin. Now lets see how comfortable he is with more ISO Marvin and less ISO Pick a guard Pick any guard!

Side note on this comment from JJ:

This is going to be a interesting contract year to watch. If JJ leads us and Marvin does indeed breakout.; JJ will get a huge contract from us. If on the other hand, JJ pulls a Harrington and his shots per game go up instead; Sund may not be so inclined to keep him.

More shots for JJ this season, we could see yet another decrease in shots per game for both Smoove and Marvin. If that happens, neither Marvin nor Smoove will breakout offensively. I think JJ becoming more of a leader on this team is the real key to him getting close to elite league status.

Edited by Buzzard

Side note on this comment from JJ:

This is going to be a interesting contract year to watch. If JJ leads us and Marvin does indeed breakout.; JJ will get a huge contract from us. If on the other hand, JJ pulls a Harrington and his shots per game go up instead; Sund may not be so inclined to keep him.

More shots for JJ this season, we could see yet another decrease in shots per game for both Smoove and Marvin. If that happens, neither Marvin nor Smoove will breakout offensively. I think JJ becoming more of a leader on this team is the real key to him getting close to elite league status.

If JJ leads us, and Marvin has his best year as a pro, we'll be damn good. Factoring in the talent surrounding those two, I don't see how adding Horf's, Smoove's, and Crawford's contributions would not make us better.

It's going to be interesting to me to see how JJ approaches 09-10. He has shown that he can take an inept francise back to respectability....which we are now. All the while throwing mulitple all-star games into his resume. Now, he has nine months to prove that he deserves max kinda money along with the best players on the planet. What will he do? What if his (Hawks career average) of ppg drops 5 points after the first 25 games...but we're winning...Does he become bitter because he won't break the bank, or happy because the francise he helped turn around is having success.

Barring injury, the Hawks should equal what they've done the last couple of years. JJ, our best player, contract year...wanting max money? It's going to be a story line how it all plays out.

my greatest concern is that we will be more successful with JJ having a smaller role than in the previous year and that means no max contract for JJ . Truthfully that is the only way we can improve. With that being said he has to understand that we wont't break the bank on him when he is just one of the players.