• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Aldridge over-paid and Smoove

tbhawksfan

Aldridge just got 5@65. Makes me appreciate Smoove's contract all the more. Would anyone trade Smoove for Aldridge? I wouldn't. Even in an off year, Smoove's numbers looked better than LA's.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/62268/20091021/aldridge_gets_$15m_less_than_max_extension/

Edited by tbhawksfan

• Premium Member

Aldridge just got 5@65. Makes me appreciate Smoove's contract all the more. Would anyone trade Smoove for Aldridge? I wouldn't. Even in an off year, Smoove's numbers looked better than LA's.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/62268/20091021/aldridge_gets_$15m_less_than_max_extension/

Uh...to turn that around, I think that if we asked Portland or any of its fans if they would take Josh Smith for Aldridge, they'd laugh. And laugh. And laugh.

As for the numbers, Aldridge scores more points and gets more rebounds on a team with a better offense and better rebounders.

Edited by niremetal

LA

Pts rebs asst stl blk fg%

2008: 18.1 7.5 1.9 1.0 1.0 .484

2007: 17.8 7.6 1.6 .7 1.2 .484

Smoove

2008: 15.6 7.2 2.4 1.4 1.6 .492

2007: 17.2 8.2 3.4 1.5 2.8 .457

Smoove's 2007 season was way better than any season LA has put together. I keep Smoove for the same money; at $3M less a year I'm thinking big advantage Hawks.

• Premium Member

LA

Smoove

Smoove's 2007 season was way better than any season LA has put together. I keep Smoove for the same money; at $3M less a year I'm thinking big advantage Hawks.

And as I said, tell that to any Blazers fan, and you'll go deaf from the laughing that will ensue. And frankly, tell that to anyone that isn't a Hawks fan, and you'll at least lose your hearing temporarily.

• Admin

And as I said, tell that to any Blazers fan, and you'll go deaf from the laughing that will ensue. And frankly, tell that to anyone that isn't a Hawks fan, and you'll at least lose your hearing temporarily.

They are two different players. Comparing stats do not tell you who is better and who is not. They are in differnet situations and play different systems.

If their contracts were the same...then yes I would trade Smith for Aldridge. His d is okay but his post game is excellent. He is also has a much higher bbiq then Smith. He would fit very nice next to Horford.

That being said I think he is way overpaid now.

I don't think this statement is entirely accurate. A lot of NBA fans watch games to see exciting plays and watching people with crazy athletic abiltiy given their size. Smoove is a poster boy for this. Do you really think Josh Smith should be in commercials with Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard, and Kevin Garnett? Absolutely not. Imagine if Aldridge was in Smoove's place? It would be comical. The fact Smoove got that gig is because of his ability to attract fans with what he does on the court.

Now I will agree that the die-hards, people like us that follow our teams night in and night out might laugh...as you mention....warranted or not, but the "typical" NBA fan that's not as obsessed as we are, would not.

They are two different players. Comparing stats do not tell you who is better and who is not. They are in differnet situations and play different systems.

If their contracts were the same...then yes I would trade Smith for Aldridge. His d is okay but his post game is excellent. He is also has a much higher bbiq then Smith. He would fit very nice next to Horford.

That being said I think he is way overpaid now.

He may be overpayed now but Aldridge has only played three years and started 179 games vs Smoove who has played five years and started in 376 games. Aldrdige ceiling is easily 20 ppg; I cannot say 20ppg is a easy ceiling for Smoove. Aldridge is someone you want at the line near the end of a game and he does have a much higher BBIQ. Just look at his career 3pt shot attempts, 37, and you get a good idea of that.

I agree 100%. Contracts aside, If you would rather have Smoove you are either a casual fan or a homer. The dude can flat out ball and he is 6' 11" to boot.

Edited by Buzzard

LA

Smoove

Three million is big money to us fans but its only a few thousand dollars to owners. And way better is not .457 vs .484, nor is it 17.2 vs 18.1, or 8.2 vs 7.5. Where is ft% in all these glowing stats? Smoove that year .710 vs Aldridge .781. And you do realize that Smoove chucked 99 threes that season to get his 17.2 ppg vs Aldridge who only took 28 of them to get his 18.1. Wonder who has a higher BBIQ and better post game? Do the deal Sund, Aldridge for Smoove straight up!