• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is the Magic's Ryan Anderson better than Horford?

hawks21

It was just one preseason game, but the Magic's Ryan Anderson performance has to make some Hawks wonder if Horford can take his game to another level. Plus, it really isn't about whether he is playing the 4 or 5. Horford's offensive skills are extremely limited and he still doesn't have the confidence to have a consistent impact on a game. Anderson is the Magic's fourth or fifth best player at 6'10, KNOCKING DOWN THREES without hesitation and rebounding fairly well.

Should Jason Collins be starting over Horford, because Horford really isn't distinguishing himself as a franchise player who was picked at #3 three years ago.

Please let this be a joke. Ryan Anderson isn't a great rebounder, he has decent strength at best, isn't a banger, and is a liability on defense. Al Horford's offense may not be as good as Ryan Anderson's, but his defense tramples his. Just because a big man can shoot a 3, doesn't make them a good player, you might as well say Donyell Marshall is better than Al Horford.

Horford is probably the best pick we've had in recent years. You must be forgetting he had people questioning and arguing that he should have been Rookie of The Year over Kevin Durant.

Jason Collins over Horford? :beathorse:

• Like 1

It was just one preseason game, but the Magic's Ryan Anderson performance has to make some Hawks wonder if Horford can take his game to another level. Plus, it really isn't about whether he is playing the 4 or 5. Horford's offensive skills are extremely limited and he still doesn't have the confidence to have a consistent impact on a game. Anderson is the Magic's fourth or fifth best player at 6'10, KNOCKING DOWN THREES without hesitation and rebounding fairly well.

Should Jason Collins be starting over Horford, because Horford really isn't distinguishing himself as a franchise player who was picked at #3 three years ago.

Really? Jason Collins starting over Al Horford are you kidding me?

• Like 1

Orlando will trade Anderson + Three 1st round picks for Horford. Post this offer in an Orlando Magic thread in RealGM. They'll go crazy.

Howard can make average NBA players look like an all star.

Orlando will trade Anderson + Three 1st round picks for Horford. Post this offer in an Orlando Magic thread in RealGM. They'll go crazy.

Howard can make average NBA players look like an all star.

This almost as overboard as the first poser. I don't think Al would be worth three first round picks. He is a good role player, but that's about as far as it goes.

• Premium Member

Wow, you haven't been around the NBA very long huh?

• Premium Member

Wow, you haven't been around the NBA very long huh?

It's almost like an extreme case of Marvin Williams Draft Critic Syndrome - he's focusing on where Horford was drafted and comparing him to what he'd hoped out of someone picked in that draft position rather than focusing on his game compared to the game of the actual players he's comparing him to. But in this case, Horford is not exactly underperforming what you'd expect from a #3 pick in his second year, particularly one stuck in an offense that never gives its big men touches, so you can't blame this absurd post JUST on that...

And this post is absurd. Ask all 30 NBA coaches and all 30 NBA GMs which player they'd rather have between Horford, Anderson, and Collins, and all 60 would say "Horford." Well, at least that's what they'd all say now that Isiah Thomas and Kevin McHale are gone...

Edited by niremetal

This almost as overboard as the first poser. I don't think Al would be worth three first round picks. He is a good role player, but that's about as far as it goes.

Obviously, you don't get it. Those 1st rounders are from Magic. None of those 3 picks will be in the top 25 until Howard gets old. Horford is worth much more than that.

Really? Jason Collins starting over Al Horford are you kidding me?

No. I am not kidding. However, in some situations. Against the teams such as Cleveland, Boston or teams with bigger lineups, the Hawks should consider starting Collins who is a legitimate seven-footer. Horford would still play 30 minutes a game, but his team at the center position should be reduced.

Comparing a shooter to a rebounder.

Brilliant !

This is worse then the JJ thread.

We need a forum for the kitties.

All this crap over 1 preseason game.

Coach,

This isn't about ONE PRESEASON GAME. This is a very critical year for Al Horford who was picked as THIRD OVERALL PICK. Nobody is questioning his heart, but his offensive skillset is limited and it doesn't look like it is getting better. He may have an offensive impact in a game in maybe one out of every five or six games. Defensively, against smaller , less athletic teams, he looks great. However, against bigger teams, he disappears and looks very small at times.

Where was Big Al against Cleveland during the playoffs? Looking lost.

Ryan Anderson played a great pre-season game, but he showed his abilities with limited playing time with the Nets last year. Horford has to show more growth by expanding his offensive game.

Horford isn't the next Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman...and he isn't the next Larry Johnson or Karl Malone, so if that is the case, then Horford's impact and growth as a player should be questioned.

It's almost like an extreme case of Marvin Williams Draft Critic Syndrome - he's focusing on where Horford was drafted and comparing him to what he'd hoped out of someone picked in that draft position rather than focusing on his game compared to the game of the actual players he's comparing him to. But in this case, Horford is not exactly underperforming what you'd expect from a #3 pick in his second year, particularly one stuck in an offense that never gives its big men touches, so you can't blame this absurd post JUST on that...

And this post is absurd. Ask all 30 NBA coaches and all 30 NBA GMs which player they'd rather have between Horford, Anderson, and Collins, and all 60 would say "Horford." Well, at least that's what they'd all say now that Isiah Thomas and Kevin McHale are gone...

Horford is UNDER-PERFORMING but not at the same rate as Marvin Williams who was projected to have a more complete game as a player. Horford shows great effort and I believe he gets a pass by some on this board (due to being an emotional player on the court unlike Marvin), but Big Al still has to live up to his draft status as well.

Ryan Anderson's versatility as a player in actual NBA games has changed the minds of some GMs. Anderson is only in his second year, and is getting better..is Horford? Has Horford peaked and will he eventually be a nice energy player off the bench. Horford hasn't distinguished himself offensively nor defensively entering his third year.

Horford is UNDER-PERFORMING but not at the same rate as Marvin Williams who was projected to have a more complete game as a player. Horford shows great effort and I believe he gets a pass by some on this board (due to being an emotional player on the court unlike Marvin), but Big Al still has to live up to his draft status as well.

Ryan Anderson's versatility as a player in actual NBA games has changed the minds of some GMs. Anderson is only in his second year, and is getting better..is Horford? Has Horford peaked and will he eventually be a nice energy player off the bench. Horford hasn't distinguished himself offensively nor defensively entering his third year.

Horford has had a decent preseason and so have our Hawks. Here is his stat line for the 7 games.

22.6 MPG

9.9 PPG

6.3 RPG

1.1 BPG

And we went 5 and 2

I know its only preseason but if you increase those minutes to 34, you get roughly:

14.8 PPG

9.4 RPG

1.6 BPG

Its just one loss; lets not trade Horf for bench fodder and picks quite yet :biggrin:

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I didn't even know who ryan anderson was, until I saw the game friday.. NO he's not and he NEVER will be..

I remember Ryan Anderson from last year when he and Carter lit us up. Seriously, I find it funny that Hawks fans of all people were criticizing the Vince Carter trade... The Magic got one player who historically annihilates us and another who looks to be well on his way. Maybe this move won't net them a championship but they will be owning us pretty hard for the next couple of years.

I remember Ryan Anderson from last year when he and Carter lit us up. Seriously, I find it funny that Hawks fans of all people were criticizing the Vince Carter trade... The Magic got one player who historically annihilates us and another who looks to be well on his way. Maybe this move won't net them a championship but they will be owning us pretty hard for the next couple of years.

They will probably being owning the league for the next couple of years.

Yeah that was ridiculous. LOL @ missing Turk. Carter >>>>>>> Turk.

Anderson went off on us last year too. Word from NJ fans last year is that he is a decent defender too.

I'm shocked that this guy only got one neg for this topic! I mean what the heck are we really comparing here?

• Like 2

• Premium Member

They will probably being owning the league for the next couple of years.

The scary part is if Jameer Nelson stays healthy this year and plays the way he played the first half of last year... Good luck guarding the Magic NBA.

Also, I predict Turk will be a MASSIVE bust for Toronto. Not even a modest bust, an all out, injury plagued, franchise crippling one. But that's just a hunch.

Edited by Atlantaholic