• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is the Magic's Ryan Anderson better than Horford?

hawks21

I remember Ryan Anderson from last year when he and Carter lit us up. Seriously, I find it funny that Hawks fans of all people were criticizing the Vince Carter trade... The Magic got one player who historically annihilates us and another who looks to be well on his way. Maybe this move won't net them a championship but they will be owning us pretty hard for the next couple of years.

Orlando strengthened their team, and Ryan Anderson isn't a fluke. He can be an impact offensive player and within that Orlando system in which they shoot threes regularly, he will get better as the year progresses.

Atlanta had decent success against Orlando and were competitive, but these moves might shape into a situation that mimics the type of regular season domination that Celtics had recently inflicted upon the Hawks, and only until recently, the Detriot Pistons had a stretch of domination when Rasheed, Big Ben and Chauncey were together in their prime.

My critique of Horford has validity. Horford's offensive game has to substantially improve THIS YEAR. And even though I posed the question whether Ryan Anderon is better, I can further add that Brandon Bass is just as good an overall player than Horford and Brandon Bass has better offensive skills (i.e shooting 15 ft jumper and back to the basket).

Orlando strengthened their team, and Ryan Anderson isn't a fluke. He can be an impact offensive player and within that Orlando system in which they shoot threes regularly, he will get better as the year progresses.

Atlanta had decent success against Orlando and were competitive, but these moves might shape into a situation that mimics the type of regular season domination that Celtics had recently inflicted upon the Hawks, and only until recently, the Detriot Pistons had a stretch of domination when Rasheed, Big Ben and Chauncey were together in their prime.

My critique of Horford has validity. Horford's offensive game has to substantially improve THIS YEAR. And even though I posed the question whether Ryan Anderon is better, I can further add that Brandon Bass is just as good an overall player than Horford and Brandon Bass has better offensive skills (i.e shooting 15 ft jumper and back to the basket).

The problem is that you are criticizing the sacred cow. It is ok to trash anyone else but not Horford. After the draft people were comparing him to guys like amare, Alonzo and Ben Wallace. Obviously Horford is nowhere near those guys but people don't want to admit that he is just a role player.

I'm shocked that this guy only got one neg for this topic! I mean what the heck are we really comparing here?

I am little 'shocked' that Horford hasn't garnered more constructive criticism due to his lack of development as an offensive player. Horford is not Dennis Rodman or Ben Wallace in terms of being a consistent rebounder who is undersized and his offensive skills isn't in the class of other power forwards (Horford's supposed natural position) such as Tim Duncan or Karl Malone.

Horford is proving every day that he isn't a franchise forward and looks like he destined to be a bench player who may play 20 to 25 minutes a game. I hope I am wrong, but this third season will tell us about which direction Horford is going as a NBA player and can be lead by example through increased production on the court.

• Premium Member

Sorry bro but your post was garbage.

Career Fg%

Anderson= 39%

Bass= 48%

Horford = 51%

PPG

Anderson = 7.4

Bass = 6.9

Horford = 10.8

RPG (per 36 minutes)

Anderson = 8.5

Bass = 7.2

Horford = 10.6

Horford is easily the better player. By far.

• Like 1

The problem is that you are criticizing the sacred cow. It is ok to trash anyone else but not Horford. After the draft people were comparing him to guys like amare, Alonzo and Ben Wallace. Obviously Horford is nowhere near those guys but people don't want to admit that he is just a role player.

The Hawks have too many role players on this team and this becomes problematic when the Hawks go on the road and during the playoffs.

Career Fg%

Anderson= 39%

Bass= 48%

Horford = 51%

PPG

Anderson = 7.4

Bass = 6.9

Horford = 10.8

RPG (per 36 minutes)

Anderson = 8.5

Bass = 7.2

Horford = 10.6

Horford's individual are modestly better, but keep in mind Horford has been a full-time player the past two years. THAT'S WHY I SAID HE IS UNDERPERFORMING especially with the Hawks using the #3 pick in the draft to get him.

Anderson and Bass have played fewer minutes, but has maximized their poential and impact and BOTH have a more mature offensive skillset than Big Al.

Bass and Anderson will be receiving more minutes this year with Orlando and it is likely their individual numbers and team impact will grow exponentially, while Al may STAGNATE (I hope not), but Horford (right now) is a better cheerleader who shows emotion than an emerging offensive go-to player .

Horford is better than Greg Oden (right now) and Horford has been able to stay healthy. However, its time for Big Al to take that next step as a NBA player and leader of the Atlanta Hawks. Other younger players such as Brandon Roy, Noah, Kevin Durant, Thaddeus Young and others have been able to develop their offensive games and Big Al is no exception.

Career Fg%

Anderson= 39%

Bass= 48%

Horford = 51%

PPG

Anderson = 7.4

Bass = 6.9

Horford = 10.8

RPG (per 36 minutes)

Anderson = 8.5

Bass = 7.2

Horford = 10.6

Interesting that you did rebounds per 36 but not points per 36.

points per 36

Anderson 13.32

Bass 15.84

Horford 12.24

TS%

Anderson 53.2%

Bass 57.1%

Horford 56.5%

Both guys score more than Horford and Bass even has a better percentage. Anderson's TS is very close to Horford and he scored at a higher rate as a rookie.

Interesting that you did rebounds per 36 but not points per 36.

points per 36

Anderson 13.32

Bass 15.84

Horford 12.24

TS%

Anderson 53.2%

Bass 57.1%

Horford 56.5%

Both guys score more than Horford and Bass even has a better percentage. Anderson's TS is very close to Horford and he scored at a higher rate as a rookie.

True but al means more to us than just scoring. We've all said many times that if we actually ran a real offense that we would get more out of our players, Anderson is a better shooter but how does that make him a better player? U say he scored at a higher rate as a rookie n while true I don't remember ANYONE mentioning Anderson as a roy candidate do u? Stats can always b used to make someone look better than they really r n tho Anderson is a good player I'd take al anyday over him, call me a homer but I don't think its close as to who the OVERALL better player is.

True but al means more to us than just scoring. We've all said many times that if we actually ran a real offense that we would get more out of our players, Anderson is a better shooter but how does that make him a better player? U say he scored at a higher rate as a rookie n while true I don't remember ANYONE mentioning Anderson as a roy candidate do u? Stats can always b used to make someone look better than they really r n tho Anderson is a good player I'd take al anyday over him, call me a homer but I don't think its close as to who the OVERALL better player is.

If Horford had been a rookie last year he wouldn't have been mentioned as a possible ROY either. Horford wasn't going up against Rose, Mayo and Beasley when he came out.

Horford has also benefited by the fact that he has been playing big minutes from day one. Give Anderson those minutes for 2 years and let Horford play less than 20 for 1 year and I am sure Anderson would look like the better player hands down.

I keep reading this phrase "role player" as if it's a detraction against a player. A team's success is determined by the quality of role players just as much as the quality of their stars. People are not changing my perception of Horf or Marv by throwing around "role player" as if it's some pejorative. If anything we have better "role players" than we do "stars" :whistling:

• Moderators

Aren't the Davis "brothers" for Indiana a better comparison for Horford than someone like Duncan? He has limited offense, a great attitude, excellent rebounding, and solid D. I think that adds up to more than Ryan Anderson or Brandon Bass will ever be, but Horford shouldn't be mentioned with guys that were significant offensive options until he really improves that area of his game.

He was the goto scorer for UF when they needed a critical bucket, so I am hoping that we see that some day from him.

I keep reading this phrase "role player" as if it's a detraction against a player. A team's success is determined by the quality of role players just as much as the quality of their stars. People are not changing my perception of Horf or Marv by throwing around "role player" as if it's some pejorative. If anything we have better "role players" than we do "stars" :whistling:

The problem is that if you compare Horford to guys who were multiple All-Stars when he is drafted and then he turns out to be just an ok role player then your comparisons were way off base. I saw all kinds of comparisons to guys like Karl Malone, Alonzo, Ben Wallace etc when Horford was drafted. I didn't see anyone comparing him to Dale Davis.

The problem is that if you compare Horford to guys who were multiple All-Stars when he is drafted and then he turns out to be just an ok role player then your comparisons were way off base. I saw all kinds of comparisons to guys like Karl Malone, Alonzo, Ben Wallace etc when Horford was drafted. I didn't see anyone comparing him to Dale Davis.

I wasn't here for all that but I will say this, those guys were idiots and just like the OP are letting draft position influence their expectations rather than actual skill. Notice now that they are doing the same thing for Blake Griffin saying Duncan/Malone are his ceiling when his closest comparison is Kenyon Martin.....lo' and behold look who just broke his leg too....

I wasn't here for all that but I will say this, those guys were idiots and just like the OP are letting draft position influence their expectations rather than actual skill. Notice now that they are doing the same thing for Blake Griffin saying Duncan/Malone are his ceiling when his closest comparison is Kenyon Martin.....lo' and behold look who just broke his leg too....

It was bad. When i pointed out that there was nothing to suggest Horford could score like Boozer people jumped on me like i was hating on Horford. Instead i was just pointing out the obvious. Some people still don't want to hear it and that is why Horford is such a sacred cow here.

• Premium Member

The fact Anderson and Bass couldn't get minutes in a New Jersey and Dallas front line isn't really a big endorsement Exodus.

They might have higher Ts% but if you think the Nets and Dallas wouldn't have trade Bass or Anderson for Horford you are smoking some bad hash. Orlando would trade both of them for Horf if they could afford it.

Having said that Bass and Anderson have potential to be very decent players. I, frankly, was a little shocked that the Nets included Ryan in the deal... They must have not thought too highly of him I suppose. If he turns out to be a good starter the Nets will look really stupid. Horf won't be Karl Malone, but he can definitely average 10 and 10, (he virtually did his rookie year) and that is something that very few players in the NBA can do, and something that Anderson and Bass will very likely never get close to doing.

• Moderators

The fact Anderson and Bass couldn't get minutes in a New Jersey and Dallas front line isn't really a big endorsement Exodus.

They might have higher Ts% but if you think the Nets and Dallas wouldn't have trade Bass or Anderson for Horford you are smoking some bad hash. Orlando would trade both of them for Horf if they could afford it.

Having said that Bass and Anderson have potential to be very decent players. I, frankly, was a little shocked that the Nets included Ryan in the deal... They must have not thought too highly of him I suppose. If he turns out to be a good starter the Nets will look really stupid. Horf won't be Karl Malone, but he can definitely average 10 and 10, (he virtually did his rookie year) and that is something that very few players in the NBA can do, and something that Anderson and Bass will very likely never get close to doing.

Horford's TS% was over 3% higher than Anderson and .6% lower than Bass.

They had to include Anderson to get out of Carter's contract. If they can get Lebron or any superstar next season I doubt they'd shed too much of a tear over Ryan.