• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Williams: Judging the Hawks' least essential starter

hawks21

Role player being the key word. I think that Marvin doesn't really have to be our starter at the 3 and may be moved to the bench if he's not going to be effective. Why are we wasting minutes with him out there doing nothing?

Maybe he's underacheiving as a starter because he's more comfortable coming off the bench. I'm assuming the Hawks drafted him, a college 6th man, so high because they thought he would make a great NBA 6th man. Then again, why would yoou draft a 6th man so high and have to pay him all that money...

Whatever the case may be, his numbers were pretty good as a 6th man in college, but have not translated over as a starter in the NBA,so I say bring him off the bench and see if his play improves. But then who would start in his place?

I think teams are done testing Smith and Horford, well Horford more than Smith. Horford does well even when switched on point guards. More often than not, or maybe it's the only time I pay attention, it's Bibby getting abused by our switching defense. Which is the main reason Anderson or whoever had a good game in our last pre-season game. That and he was hitting from the perimeter.

I think teams are done testing Smith and Horford, well Horford more than Smith. Horford does well even when switched on point guards. More often than not, or maybe it's the only time I pay attention, it's Bibby getting abused by our switching defense. Which is the main reason Anderson or whoever had a good game in our last pre-season game. That and he was hitting from the perimeter.

Horford tries to stay in front of his man using his length and girth...Smoove usually lets his man get by fairly easily and then tries to chase him down for the block. Neither are exceptional but Horfords attempted style is sounder. Which is why Smoove gets bashed so often for not being fundamentally sound. Bigs should always back off the smaller player and make him shoot over the top.

Rasheed Wallace and Garnet are both great at this. I don't think an old Garnet and Sheed are any quicker than Horf or Smoove but the are a lot better at guarding smaller players.

Bibby gets abused by his height, lack of strength, and lateral quickness.

Edited by Buzzard

I think a lot depends on Sund's handling of Joe. I think it's Joe's World right now. IF Sund feels that Joe is headed elsewhere, we might see Joe Moved. Packaged with him may be Marvin.

This may be the first time I agree with a "trade marvin" post from you.

If the Hawks could/would trade Joe and Marvin for an elite big (say Dirk Nowitski or a healthy Yao Ming) and could line up like this next year

Teague / Bibby

Crawford / Chilldress

Josh / Evans

Horford / Joe Smith

Nowitski (Ming) / Pachulia

are they better? I say you are damn skippy they are.

Who the heck is going to guard that back court one on one and which of the 3 big men are you going to leave open near the basket so you can jump out and double?

Think of the interior defense when you line up Smith, Horford, Yao Ming That is a huge freaking frontline. Is there any power forward in the game right now that can help on Nowitski and cover Horford...I think not.