• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

5 Reason The Hawks Reach The Eastern Finals

coachx

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2009/10/27/5-reasons-the-hawks-will-reach-the-eastern-finals/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

2. Mike Woodson has no choice but to deploy his subs. Contrary to popular belief, the coach isn’t a fool. He saw how Joe Johnson wearied at the end of last season, and he concedes he ran his starters too long. But Woody, like most coaches, trusts experience over youth, and that means he’ll give Crawford and Smith and Collins longer looks than he gave Law and Solomon Jones. And Woodson appears to have warmed to Teague already, which never happened with Law. (The feeling was mutual.)

3. Johnson won’t have to play as long or do as much. The Hawks are tinkering with a lineup that deploys Johnson at small forward, which means he won’t be asked to distribute and score — just to score. The belief around the team last season was that Al Horford didn’t the get the ball nearly enough, which could change if Joe agrees to delegate more responsibility. Which he must. He’s one of the league’s 20 best players, but he’s not LeBron James.

Edited by coachx

54 wins isn't going to get us the #3 seed though.

People must despise Vince Carter, if they think that adding him isn't a major upgrade over Turkoglu. Adding Shaq apparantely has no effect on Lebron's game when you look at last night's performance. And Rasheed Wallace gives Boston an extra frontline defender and shooter.

I just don't get why people think those teams didn't do things to improve their squads. But Bradley values the collective contributions that Crawford, Joe Smith, Collins, and Teague will have on this team more than the former star vets that those other teams added? Nah. Not buying it. Our additions should make us better. But the Big 3, in my opinion, got better as well.

It's almost like people are putting these lofty expectations on this team, so that they can blast Woody and the rest of the squad, if we aren't quite that good.

I still say the key for us depends on how well the starters play.

- Can JJ be a more consistent shooter? Or better yet, can we get the 2006 version of JJ, that was damn near a sharpshooter?

- Will Smoove completely abandon the long jumper, and get back to being the stat sheet stuffer where he impacts the game in many ways?

- Can Marvin become a 40% 3-point shooter, while also driving the ball to the hole?

- Can Horford become a 12 rpg guy and a legit threat on the offensive end?

- Can Bibby make more open shots and make people pay dearly for doubling JJ?

If the starters can do that, the season may get very interesting.

Northcyde, good analysis. I don't see this team winning 54 games...I don't even see them winning 50 (but close to it). I still think our peak is capped with a Woody-led team.

You are right, our starters must step up big (especially Joe and Al). Joe needs to get back to 2006 numbers, and AL needs to become more of a force in the middle.

• Moderators

I still think the Celtics will suffer from aging egos and the Cavs have two centers who will have difficulty staying healthy. There always comes a point where the young guys mature and the old guys just don't want it as much. Orlando is really a team to beat if they can just play a little tougher.

Sheed is not going to get it done night in and night out. He never has and I doubt he will start at 35 years old.

With Perk playing center; Sheed can start or come off the bench. I can actually see Garnetts numbers going down as well; especially when Big Baby gets back. Celtics may be old but they are pretty deep.

• Premium Member

If we're not consistent, we're not going anywhere. On good nights, we can play with the best. In the playoffs though, the better teams turn it up a notch and keep it there. That goes for the team as a whole and for players individually. Someone is going to have to step up and compliment JJ as a consistent scoring threat.

Smoove needs to focus more on the little things to do that. He says he's done with the long ball, but it's more than that. He needs to work on his handles and SERIOUSLY on his decision making. He needs to simplify his game and wait for the opportunities to come to him.

Marvin needs to do the opposite. He needs to be more aggressive. We all know it. He needs to attack the basket more and stop waiting for the game to come to him. There will always be open looks, but at any given moment, we got 72 guys on the court that can hit the open shot.

Horf needs more touches and more work on his low post game. He isn't bad down there, but the problem is...will Woody give him more of a role in the offense. For that matter, will he try to move Smoove closer to the basket?

Hate to say it, but it really will depend on Woodson's gameplan this year. What intrigues me is Crawford's scoring and playmaking ability. He seems to be the guy on this team who is consistent, knows his game and how best to help the team, and also a guy that Woodson will perhaps trust and give an expanded role to. I could easily see him sliding into Marvin's slot.

not trying to be a cynic for hawks fans, but this team isn't doing any better than last year in the playoffs. Every else has gotten better also. Hawks aren't going to any finals man! Cleveland may not even make it. Superstars/all-stars, role players and coaching gets you there. Hawks don't have coaching. When I look at cleveland and boston, you can tell by the way they move the ball and run plays that coaching exist. Cleveland's head coach sucks but he's better than woodson. With Woodson and a scary Joe Johnson, you have no chance...end thread

54 wins isn't going to get us the #3 seed though.

People must despise Vince Carter, if they think that adding him isn't a major upgrade over Turkoglu. Adding Shaq apparantely has no effect on Lebron's game when you look at last night's performance. And Rasheed Wallace gives Boston an extra frontline defender and shooter.

People undervalue people that 'fit' certain systems. Turk was perfect for Van Gundy's system. Carter on the other hand does not. Fact, they did not improve by adding Carter. The best team he has ever been on has won 49 games for crying out loud, lol.

• Premium Member

I think Joe should be a SF. The problem there is our defense from the guard position takes a nose dive. I like our flexibility though. I just hope we use it.

The detail of Johnson playing 3 shouldn't be missed. I think he's more natural at 3. He's 6'8 240. What is he doing chasing 6'6" 215 and 6'2 186 (on the switch) guys around on defense? When he played 3 last season, he looked more comfortable. We just need a 2 better than Flip. Crawford could be that guy.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

not trying to be a cynic for hawks fans, but this team isn't doing any better than last year in the playoffs. Every else has gotten better also. Hawks aren't going to any finals man! Cleveland may not even make it. Superstars/all-stars, role players and coaching gets you there. Hawks don't have coaching. When I look at cleveland and boston, you can tell by the way they move the ball and run plays that coaching exist. Cleveland's head coach sucks but he's better than woodson. With Woodson and a scary Joe Johnson, you have no chance...end thread

Just being healthy will make us more competitive in the playoffs than last year. It is doubtful we make the conference finals though.