• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Portland vs. Atlanta Game 2 (11/16/09)

jerrywest

Anyone take a look at Jamal's shot chart?

Josh came up big for us in the second half even after becoming an afterthought despite the 10 point 1st quarter.

Joe was awesome, didn't care if his arms fell off taking all those shots he was doing what he had to to win.

What bugs me about Crawford, is that he'll keep jacking up 3's, even when he's ice cold. That's the bad shot selection that people talk about.

I was going to post my NJSI jumpshot ratings today, but didn't have time. But before tonight's game, Crawford was shooting sub .300 on his 3 pointers . . but 48% on his 2 point jumpers. In the Boston game he came up big, but was 1 - 6 from 3pt range. Tonight he was 0 - 5. He's taking a ton of 3s, but is the team's worst 3 point shooter. Conversely, he's one of the best 2pt shot shooters on the squad, if you add in the lay-ups.

That's why I said at halftime that Woody has to watch that dude's minutes in the 2nd half, if he's still cold. Sure enough, he was still jacking up 3s in the 2nd half. Then Woody took him out with about 9 min to go in the 4th and put Marvin back in. I believe that's when things really started to turn around.

Woody did a good job in watching Crawford, and not letting him play the majority of the 4th qtr.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I just can't believe Josh Smith is playing this well. I mean at some point I keep waiting for the old Smoove to show up, take horrible three point shots or be reckless with the ball but this new Smith is just insane. The only knock anyone can have on him is free throw shooting at this point. Its unreal how much he's matured in one offseason.

Not really. I think he is improving but he has a ways to go. I think he is starting to understand that he needs to use his speed on offense, whether it is driving or moving without the ball. Now when they run and pick and roll he is actually rolling to the basket instead of taking two steps and stopping. He also looks like he is running more in transition.

I would like to see him drive and put up a fake now and then. if he gets his man moving and then fakes he could get some easy baskets.

This was a big game for him. It is one thing to have a big game against Roy Hibbert or David Lee. Doing it against a front line of Oden, Pryz and Aldridge is much more significant, to me anyway.

Early to say, but the early results are promising. It looks like Horford and Smith are "getting it.." Both have come back this year with new moves and a new attitude. Horford is more aggressive offensively and plays better defense. Smoove has adopted a more defensive-minded approach coupled with a more mature overall offensive game. Gotta love it!

Edit: Horford has a new jump hook. Woot!

Edited by TheTruth

What bugs me about Crawford, is that he'll keep jacking up 3's, even when he's ice cold. That's the bad shot selection that people talk about.

I was going to post my NJSI jumpshot ratings today, but didn't have time. But before tonight's game, Crawford was shooting sub .300 on his 3 pointers . . but 48% on his 2 point jumpers. In the Boston game he came up big, but was 1 - 6 from 3pt range. Tonight he was 0 - 5. He's taking a ton of 3s, but is the team's worst 3 point shooter. Conversely, he's one of the best 2pt shot shooters on the squad, if you add in the lay-ups.

That's why I said at halftime that Woody has to watch that dude's minutes in the 2nd half, if he's still cold. Sure enough, he was still jacking up 3s in the 2nd half. Then Woody took him out with about 9 min to go in the 4th and put Marvin back in. I believe that's when things really started to turn around.

Woody did a good job in watching Crawford, and not letting him play the majority of the 4th qtr.

You've gotta take the good with the bad with Crawford. That's the gamble you make when you bring him in. He's just going to have these nights, and you've got to accept that, because the scoring without a conscience thing sometimes means bricking without a conscience.

• Premium Member

Early to say, but the early results are promising. It looks like Horford and Smith are "getting it.." Both have come back this year with new moves and a new attitude. Horford is more aggressive offensively and plays better defense. Smoove has adopted a more defensive-minded approach coupled with a more mature overall offensive game. Gotta love it!

Edit: Horford has a new jump hook. Woot!

He's been pretty good with it this year, and needs to shoot it more often

Smoove had the dunk and block of the night lol, both were insane.. I have no complaints about the way Al and Smoove played tonight, both were INSANE.. Joe eh, but he played pretty well in the 4th and ot.. Marvin: no comment lol..

Marvin's shot is still off but he defended Roy very well in the 4th quarter and that helped JJ focus on offense and he just happended to get hot at that point.

It was the first game I've gone to all season and what a game it was. An over time thriller with a buzzer beater 3 to send it to OT. Then the Hawks prevail !

Don't bother. Horford could make it to the Hall of Fame and exodus still wouldn't give him his due. Similar to Diesel and Marvin, but not quite as obsessive and ridiculous.

Please. Horford is still struggling badly to finish around the basket when he can't dunk. He is shooting only 45.8% on inside shots when he can't dunk. That is pretty far from HOF production.

http://www.82games.com/0910/09ATL9.HTM

In contrast Smith is shooting 66.7% on shots inside when he can't dunk.

Not really.

Not really? He's averaging 13.5 points, 10.2 boards, 2 assists, 2 blocks, and shooting 57%. Oh and his efficiency rating is 21.73 and his PER is 20.2. Those are fantastic numbers no matter how you look at it but especially for a 6'10 center who is almost always smaller than his opponent.

I think he is improving but he has a ways to go. I think he is starting to understand that he needs to use his speed on offense, whether it is driving or moving without the ball. Now when they run and pick and roll he is actually rolling to the basket instead of taking two steps and stopping. He also looks like he is running more in transition.

I would like to see him drive and put up a fake now and then. if he gets his man moving and then fakes he could get some easy baskets.

This was a big game for him. It is one thing to have a big game against Roy Hibbert or David Lee. Doing it against a front line of Oden, Pryz and Aldridge is much more significant, to me anyway.

Fair enough on the rest of this, I'd like to see him improve on those things as well, but you have to give him credit for the improvements in almost all areas of his game. IMO he's been fantastic this year.

Please. Horford is still struggling badly to finish around the basket when he can't dunk. He is shooting only 45.8% on inside shots when he can't dunk. That is pretty far from HOF production.

http://www.82games.com/0910/09ATL9.HTM

In contrast Smith is shooting 66.7% on shots inside when he can't dunk.

What did Smith shoot in his 3rd season on inside non-dunks?

Just got back from the game and wow, I think I picked a good game to actually attend, that was so fun. It was so ugly in the first three quarters, and there were a few boos from some of the crowd around me, but that fourth quarter and OT was awesome. Nothing much that I can add to what has been said. I have some photos which I will try and post soon. Can't wait for the game on Wednesday!!

Cheers

Rick

Great to hear that you had such a good time Rick. I hope you got lots of great photos that I can use :)

:snowballfight:

Crawford had a terrible game.

JJ had a terrible 1st three quarters.

Josh was great but almost cost us the game by missing all those free throws.

Horford, early foul trouble and had to sit. Zaza helped Hawks hang on while

JJ was doing nothing good. Meanwhile, Josh was a beast on the boards.

Bibby didn't hit those bombs. We missed that.

Horford, from the corner, drains a trey. Wow! Won't be many of those. This was his first!

JJ returns from never never land and has a great 4th and OT.

Defense. Rebounding. Finally, some shots drop. Marvin, as bad

as his game was going, was still better than Crawford tonight.

This guy continually drained those three pointers. Caused overtime.

Then, in overtime, kept the score close. He was awesome.

Hawks are #1 - - - WOW!!!

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Don't bother. Horford could make it to the Hall of Fame and exodus still wouldn't give him his due. Similar to Diesel and Marvin, but not quite as obsessive and ridiculous.

RIF

Man that was rough. Again the rebounding was the key. The Hawks outrebounded them 58-44. JJ hit some big shots late but the Smith/Horford duo is the reason the Hawks won. Nice to see them get the best of a very tall front line.

The only negative from the game (per Hollinger):

"For the home side, the one disappointment was how few people were there to see the dramatic win. Atlantans who stayed home to see Pau Gasol's "CSI: Miami" debut made a horrible mistake, as the few who showed up were treated to one of the most thrilling games of the season. One hopes more of them will show up on Wednesday, when Dwyane Wade and the Heat show up -- the announced crowd of 12,977 was pathetic enough for a game of this magnitude, but for much of the first half the arena appeared to have fewer than half that many people.

"We need the support," said Woodson. "Amazing things can happen when the house is filled."

I keep hearing people say this is a basketball city, but we're tops in the league at the moment and we've yet to prove it. I realize it was a Monday game...but still. Hopefully this will improve as the season goes on.

Edited by AUhawksfan

51%

Smith didn't spend 3 years in college either.

College doesn't automatically make you better on your post moves in the NBA. The vast majority of guys coming into the NBA from college have trouble scoring in the pain. Plus Smith is far more naturally gifted and even he struggled in his 3rd year to score inside on non-dunks. I know it's difficult for you to give Horford any credit but his offensive game is far better this year than last.

"For the home side, the one disappointment was how few people were there to see the dramatic win. Atlantans who stayed home to see Pau Gasol's "CSI: Miami" debut made a horrible mistake, as the few who showed up were treated to one of the most thrilling games of the season. One hopes more of them will show up on Wednesday, when Dwyane Wade and the Heat show up -- the announced crowd of 12,977 was pathetic enough for a game of this magnitude, but for much of the first half the arena appeared to have fewer than half that many people.

"We need the support," said Woodson. "Amazing things can happen when the house is filled."

I keep hearing people say this is a basketball city, but we're tops in the league at the moment and we've yet to prove it. I realize it was a Monday game...but still. Hopefully this will improve as the season goes on.

Sad but true. I doubt Atlanta will ever have more than a half empty arena 90% of the time in the regular season.

RIF

You may not see it but everyone else sees how you're far more critical of Horford than other players.

I saw Holliger at the game. There was tons of press there for the game being a Monday night.

He is right. The crowd was pathetic.

Atlanta sports fan just SUCK ! I saw tons of people who arrived after half time. These were not people in the 300 sections moving down for better seats either. These were people with the correct ticket stubs in hand.

Plain and simple. The only sports fans in the state that know how to pack a house are UGA fans.

Edited by coachx

Joe was a black hole all night. He took way too many shots, over-dribbled, and refused to swing the ball. But all is forgiven after the 4th quarter and overtime. He was amazing down the stretch.

Why do you guys keep saying JJ took too many shots? If Joe would have stopped shooting the ball after the 1st 3qtrs Atlanta would have lost. He did what he was supposed to do. At the end of games, teams usually do or die with their best player.