• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pops Mensah-Bonsu cut by Rockets

Buzzard

The Rockets cut Pops on Friday and their fans and beat writers cannot figure out why, unless a trade is in the works; or Houston is just trying to stay under the luxury tax while getting outrebounded on a nightly basis. I would love for us to pick him up and sent to the D league. He has mad athletic ability and could be a great project. Even now he could average 5 boards a game off the bench in as little as 10 to 15 minutes a game.

Develop 26 yo PF? I'd rather develop young center and play Horf at 4 from time to time.

You have to find the center who has the ability. Name me one who is a free agent right now? Pops is 26 but has only been in the league two seasons. Extremely raw; but if you ever watched him play you would know what I mean about athletic ability. He is not far removed from Smoove when it comes to mad hops. I agree a center would be great; but I do not think you will find one that comes close to having Pops raw athletic ability.

This is not about Pops replacing anyone; this is about developing an asset for the future.

Edited by Buzzard

I understand your concerns, teams like Spurs or Houston always have someone young who shows up with a decent talent, but what future are you talking about with guy who's 26 yo? When he reaches NBA level? Even if he's useful sub, that's max than you can get from him simply because of time. Investing in young talent on the other hand can bring you future starter and the risk and cost is the same.

Edited by tremor

I understand your concerns, teams like Spurs or Houston always have someone young who shows up with a decent talent, but what future are you talking about with guy who's 26 yo? When he reaches NBA level? Even if he's useful sub, that's max than you can get from him simply because of time. Investing in young talent on the other hand can bring you future starter and the risk and cost is the same.

The Raps (Bryan Colangelo) have claimed him for peanuts. Pops may or my not ever be a starter; I just thought with his raw talent he may be worth the risk. Guess Colangelo likes him also since this is his 2nd time in Toronto. Houston signed him as a FA away from Toronto; and like I said, Houston fans and beat writers think its to either make room for a trade or to save cap space. No one thinks it is due to him being a bad risk for the money.

Edited by Buzzard

LOL...

That is funny but I still like the guy. He is a hustler like our former Mario was but with much better rebounding skills.

Last two games:

Pops

7pts 5 rbs 3 orbs

ZaZa

7pts 7 rbs 4 orbs

ZaZa has the edge until you look at minutes played.

ZaZa 32 minutes

Pops 14 minutes

Pops played 19 games with Toronto last year (not summer league) and averaged.

5.5 rbs (2.4 orbs) and 5.1 pts in just 13.8 minutes per game.

He is still a work in progress; but Colangelo thinks he is good enough to keep on the active roster and not send down to the D league. ZaZa gives us about 6 and 6 in 18 minutes, Pops 5 and 5 in less than 15. Its water under the bridge; but I still don't understand why Houston would just release him.

Edited by Buzzard