• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson put Roy in his place.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I am a big JJ fan but i think he is dribbling too much and taking to many shots this year. Last night Smith and Horford were a combined 15 of 24 from the field. I would have like to see them get more looks.

At least he is passing it every now and then lately. Early on in the season the dude was a black hole.

I am a big JJ fan but i think he is dribbling too much and taking to many shots this year. Last night Smith and Horford were a combined 15 of 24 from the field. I would have like to see them get more looks.

The guy started off 3-10 and finished 10-21. Had he simply stopped shooting the ball after the bad start, the hawks would have lost. He rarely shoots 30 times in a game and most likely wouldn't have this game if the team didn't trail the whole game.

I agree that Joe needs to force it less and to pick his spots more. I would love to see Joe have nights were he is 10-13 in shooting, as opposed to 10-25.

I would also like to see Joe stop dribbling and looking to go one on one when he gets the ball. It kills the flow of the offense. Its fine if he wants to ISO now

and then with the clock winding down, but not to start the possesion. Joe is a huge talent and he gets away with a lot, but even he can be better and more efficient.

In short, he needs to play more team ball.

I agree that Joe needs to force it less and to pick his spots more. I would love to see Joe have nights were he is 10-13 in shooting, as opposed to 10-25.

I would also like to see Joe stop dribbling and looking to go one on one when he gets the ball. It kills the flow of the offense. Its fine if he wants to ISO now

and then with the clock winding down, but not to start the possesion. Joe is a huge talent and he gets away with a lot, but even he can be better and more efficient.

In short, he needs to play more team ball.

The hawks are suffering from not having a good pg and a coach who's clueless when it comes to offense. This leads to JJ holding the ball and going one on one. This didn't happen when he was at Phoenix because he had a very good pg and offensive minded coach. I'd like to see him dribbling less and coming off screens and posting up more. He's good in the post but rarely utilize that part of his game. Looking at his stats, his fg% isn't bad at 46% and could be alot higher if his 3 point shot starts falling again. Stats on the year

23ppg on 46%

5.6 rebounds

4.8 assist

86% on FT's

32% on 3ptrs

2.8 TO'S

Obviously he needs to raise his 3pt% and lower his TO's but he hasn't played nearly as bad some here criticize him for (mainly his shooting).

The hawks are suffering from not having a good pg and a coach who's clueless when it comes to offense. This leads to JJ holding the ball and going one on one. This didn't happen when he was at Phoenix because he had a very good pg and offensive minded coach. I'd like to see him dribbling less and coming off screens and posting up more. He's good in the post but rarely utilize that part of his game. Looking at his stats, his fg% isn't bad at 46% and could be alot higher if his 3 point shot starts falling again. Stats on the year

23ppg on 46%

5.6 rebounds

4.8 assist

86% on FT's

32% on 3ptrs

2.8 TO'S

Obviously he needs to raise his 3pt% and lower his TO's but he hasn't played nearly as bad some here criticize him for (mainly his shooting).

This did not happen in Phoenix because JJ was at best the 3rd option behind Marion and Amare; and on a lot of nights the 4th option behind Marion, Amare, and Nash. JJ's job in Phoenix was similar to what Woody expects from Marvin, (at least after four seasons this is what it looks like Woody wants) get out on the break and spread the floor in our half court sets. Nash, Marion, and Amare attacked with and without the ball, doing most of the cutting into and through the post.

We ask a lot more of JJ than Phoenix ever did; and the reason is simple, he is our # 1 option; not 3rd or 4th.

Edited by Buzzard

This did not happen in Phoenix because JJ was at best the 3rd option behind Marion and Amare; and on a lot of nights the 4th option behind Marion, Amare, and Nash. JJ's job in Phoenix was similar to what Woody expects from Marvin, get out on the break and spread the floor in our half court sets. Nash, Marion, and Amare attacked with and without the ball, doing most of the cutting into and through the post.

We ask a lot more of JJ than Phoenix ever did; and the reason is simple, he is our # 1 option; not 3rd or 4th.

That's not true. Marion was never the type of player who had plays ran for him. he got most of his points on fast breaks and put backs(kinda like Smith) with a few jumpshots here and there. Nash game was centered on passing and getting his teammates easy shot although he could score the ball. Joe was more like the 2nd guy behind Amare.

That's not true. Marion was never the type of player who had plays ran for him. he got most of his points on fast breaks and put backs(kinda like Smith) with a few jumpshots here and there. Nash game was centered on passing and getting his teammates easy shot although he could score the ball. Joe was more like the 2nd guy behind Amare.

I am sorry man but you do realize JJ's best season in Phoenix he averaged only 17 ppg and was their 3rd leading scorer. And if you never saw Marion cutting through the post for spot up jumpers and dunks similar to what Detroit runs for Prince, you never watched a Suns game. JJ was never better than the 3rd option on that team and some nights when he was cold he was the 4th option.

When has JJ ever been our 3rd leading scorer in a season?

Amen. Is this a Hawks fan site? :cant believe:

It is pretty incredible that he is receiving such criticism despite the fact that he put us on his back in the 4th and OT and carried us to a HUGE win. JJ did what superstars do against POR. He saw that the team just didn't have it so he took over in the 4th. He was facing a constant double team and they STILL couldn't stop him in crunch time.

We couldn't generate any offense for 3 quarters against a VERY good POR defense. Going inside against them is MUCH easier said than done with that HUGE, athletic frontline. Their defensive weakness is on the perimeter (which is why they played so much zone) but NOBODY could make open shots. Marv has no confidence in his J at all (I have no idea why as I saw him make 18 of 20 20-foot J's in warmups before the CHA game), Crawford was WAY off and he knew it (which is why he passed up a couple of wide open 3's that he would normally take) and JJ and Bibby were missing wide open looks in the first 3 quarters as well.

Despite all that, JJ took over and led us to the win. That kind of game is why we will end up having to pay that guy close to max (if not max) money to keep him next year. If wee don't pay him, somebody definitely will.

It is pretty incredible that he is receiving such criticism despite the fact that he put us on his back in the 4th and OT and carried us to a HUGE win. JJ did what superstars do against POR. He saw that the team just didn't have it so he took over in the 4th. He was facing a constant double team and they STILL couldn't stop him in crunch time.

We couldn't generate any offense for 3 quarters against a VERY good POR defense. Going inside against them is MUCH easier said than done with that HUGE, athletic frontline.

As much as i like JJ i would have liked to have seen him pass a bit more. Smith and Horford were a combined 15 of 24 from the field. They weren't exactly struggling to score.

23ppg on 46%

5.6 rebounds

4.8 assist

86% on FT's

32% on 3ptrs

2.8 TO'S

Bibby, Crawford, Teague are causing us to suffer? I don't agree. What I do agree with is the second point in the sentence.