• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is Anyone a Little Skeptical About Josh Smith Finally Getting It

BusBoyIsBack

• Moderators

I have always been a big believer in Josh and have simply been waiting for the day when he would mature and start emphasizing his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses. Don't get me wrong, it frustrated me to see him emphasizing weaknesses at times in the past but that didn't mean that I ever thought he wasn't going to make it or doubted him long-term.

I am thrilled to see him doing that so far this year. As long as he maintains his focus, he can play this way on a consistent basis because it isn't as much about complex, instantaneous decisions as having a reasonable game plan and working hard to see it through and we are seeing that this year.

Edited by AHF

I guess the pessimist in me said that even though he's still young, if he doesn't get it after FIVE YEARS in the NBA, why would he ever get it?

But I have to keep in mind that Josh Smith didn't go to college, and he out of all people probably needed it in order for him to produce right away in his career.

People have brought up a lot of good points on possible reasons why he flipped the switch. Sometimes you can hear something from the same authority over and over again and it doesn't click until you hear it from someone else. Maybe when Josh Smith was working with that TEAM USA, maybe someone got in his ear then. Maybe it was Nique, maybe it was Steve Smith, maybe it was a combination. Whatever it was, so far it seems like the guy has had an epiphany.

Now if he has a game or two and regresses I will try not to overreact. Gotta observe this thing in bigger chunks than that. By this and next month's end we will get an idea whether or not if this is for real and here to stay. If so, he can book a trip to all-star Sunday.

Let's look at the best spans of Josh Smith's career year by year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=2411&year=2005

2008-09 season- 3 months with 47+ FG% (2 with 50%+)

Jan 09- 16 games

19 PPG 8 RPG .536 FG%

March 09- 17 games

15.5 PPG 7.5 RPG .498 FG%

April 09- 7 games

18 PPG 7 RPG .525 FG%

=

2007-08 season- 3 months with 47+ FG% (0 with 50%+)

Jan 08- 15 games

19 PPG 8 RPG .475 FG%

Feb 08- 14 games

16 PPG 8 RPG .481 FG%

Mar 08- 17 games

16 PPG 9 RPG .498 FG%

=

2006-07 season - 1 months with 47+ FG% (1 with 50%+)

Dec 06- 12 games

13 PPG 8 RPG .504 FG%

=

2005-06 season- 0 months with 47+FG % (0 with 50%+)

==

2004-05 season- 2 months with 47+ FG% (2 with 50%+)

Dec 04- 14 games

10 PPG 6 RPG .505 FG%

Jan 05- 15 games

9 PPG 7 RPG .515 FG%

=

Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised after all considering that last year was by far the best year of his career in terms of efficiency. But obviously he's taken it to a new high and is going to post by far his greatest FG% he's ever had in any year in his career even including limited playing time. In fact at this rate Smoove could match the amount of months he's had of shooting 50%+ in his entire career in this one season with 5 more this season.

But I still remain cautiously optimistic.

• Moderators

I'm loving his efficiency, but I'm way more impressed with his rebounding.

Not coincidently, his rookie season he averaged .3 3pFGA/gm and 2.6 ORPG. This year he is averaging .1 3pFGA/gm and 2.6 ORPG.

Less time floating deep on the perimeter means more offensive rebounding opportunities. The improved blocking out on the defensive end of the floor is just fantastic.