• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Woody coaching all-star game

diamond_dave

If I remember correctly, the team with the best record in the East coaches the all-star team. Am I correct? If so, I never thought that would happen.

He would be the Red Auerbach of All-Star game coaches. He wouldn't lose. Every player would love him. All-Star's are players with superior talent and huge ego's....Woody just telling them to go play one-on-one basketball would be right down their alleys!!

• Premium Member

He would be the Red Auerbach of All-Star game coaches. He wouldn't lose. Every player would love him. All-Star's are players with superior talent and huge ego's....Woody just telling them to go play one-on-one basketball would be right down their alleys!!

Lol. Woody was born to caoch an all star team.

The East wouldn't go more than 6 deep against the West angering GMs and coaches everywhere that their stars played 40 minutes in a meaningless game.

not only that, if a rookie makes the team. He'll praise him in all the pre-game press conferences.

Woody: "I'll tell you this, and no disrespect to Acie Law, this is my type of player. He's plays the game how I want my guard to play the game. He'll see plenty of action."

Then he'll get 2 mins of playing time at the end of the 1st qrt. He won't play any in the second half. The post game press conference will be,

Woody: "He's still got a lot to learn. He's not quite ready yet and needs to learn my system. He also needs to be prepared to play any time he get's in the game. I don't promise minutes anymore. If you get two minutes, you better give it all you have for those two minutes."

Emmitt

• Like 1

Yeah it would be real funny . . . .

. . . . up until when the national media starts to really seek out Woody for interviews. They'll ask him the usual fluff questions about the team. Then someone will ask this question ( maybe it'll be Sekou, since he doesn't have to kiss the azz of the Hawks anymore ):

Sekou: "You know I have to ask you this question Mike. Why do you feel that the Hawks haven't given you an extension yet?"

Woody: (( laughs )) "GOOD QUESTION. We're 1st in the East with a 35 - 13 record. Barring major injuries, we should easily reach our preseason goal to win at least 50 games. And we're going to make the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row. We've far exceeded everyone's expectations of us up to this point. So you tell me Sekou. Why haven't I got an extension? (( laughs again )) Maybe they want me to get to the NBA Finals, before making a long term commitment.

Sekou: "Like Joe Johnson, you're technically a free agent at the end of the year. Would you like to stay in Atlanta?"

Woody: "That's not for me to decide."

Sekou: "OK. But YOU personally . . would you like to stay in Atlanta and finish what yoy started."

Woody: (( in that condescending Woody voice )) "That's not for me to decide. If they want me back, fine. If not, that's fine too. I'll be OK. If we reach our goals this year, I'll be more than OK, whether it's here in Atlanta, or someone else.

Sekou: "Does that mean you'll be seeking an significant multi-year deal from someone."

Woody: "Some job security would be nice, whether it be here in Atlanta, or somewhere else."

The comments would start a firestorm on the Hawks blogs and message boards, calling Woody selfish, and playing the starters into the ground, to make him look better, so he could leave the Hawks and/or extort ( yes, that's how it would be described as ) more money from them.

Ken would write a piece on the AJC Hawks Blog entitled:

"Whether it be in Atlanta . . . "

It'll halfway take up for Woody, but justify why the Hawks haven't signed him long term . . using our inability to beat Orlando in 3 tries ( even though we've beaten Bostob twice and the Cavs once ) . and skepticism that the Hawks can't reach the Eastern Conference Finals ( even though no coach in Atlanta Hawk history has achieved this feat ), as justification for him not getting an extension.

And the Hawk masses will agree with him, until . . .

. . . someone interviews Sund, and asks him why he hasn't signed Woody to an extension. He'll give the bland answer of . . "we've decided to hold off on evaulating everything about the Hawks, until the season is over. We'd like to have Mike back. But we're also going to weigh all of our options."

Then shortly after that, some nationally known writer at ESPN writes a racially-charged article, stating how he belIeves that Black coaches aren't given a fair shake for some reason, even when they win.

He'll throw in things like how Charlie Strong ( Def. Coordinator @ Florida ) can't get a head coaching job at a major university, despite having 3 National Titles on his resume.

. . . or how Ty Willingham was fired at Notre Dame after only 4 years ( while other coaches always got 5 ), but Charlie Weis got an extension after 2 years, solely because he ALMOST beat the might USC Trojans

. . .or how Terry Porter was fired from the Suns after one year, despite missing the playoffs by one game, and winning 46 games.

. . and the kicker, how Mike Woodson, coach of the 1st place and now 42 - 16 Atlanta Hawks, still hasn't received an extension on his contract.

Most people would look at the article, and scoff at it, citing countless numbers of examples of how Black coaches were hired and extended. And they'd be right.

While others would be like "hmmmmm . . you know, that article does have a point" And they'd be right as well.

Now you got the national media blowing up Sund and the ASG's phones, asking them what they thought of that article, and how it pretains to Woody's situation.

It'll be interesting to see if they stuck to the same answers, gave a no comment, or felt forced to extend Woody, because of the mild negative heat they'd take if Woody was unsigned with that record.

LOL . . now THAT would be interesting . . if the fallout of Woody being named the coach of the All-Star team, led to all of that.

• Premium Member

Yeah it would be real funny . . . .

. . . . up until when the national media starts to really seek out Woody for interviews. They'll ask him the usual fluff questions about the team. Then someone will ask this question ( maybe it'll be Sekou, since he doesn't have to kiss the azz of the Hawks anymore ):

Sekou: "You know I have to ask you this question Mike. Why do you feel that the Hawks haven't given you an extension yet?"

Woody: (( laughs )) "GOOD QUESTION. We're 1st in the East with a 35 - 13 record. Barring major injuries, we should easily reach our preseason goal to win at least 50 games. And we're going to make the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row. We've far exceeded everyone's expectations of us up to this point. So you tell me Sekou. Why haven't I got an extension? (( laughs again )) Maybe they want me to get to the NBA Finals, before making a long term commitment.

Sekou: "Like Joe Johnson, you're technically a free agent at the end of the year. Would you like to stay in Atlanta?"

Woody: "That's not for me to decide."

Sekou: "OK. But YOU personally . . would you like to stay in Atlanta and finish what yoy started."

Woody: (( in that condescending Woody voice )) "That's not for me to decide. If they want me back, fine. If not, that's fine too. I'll be OK. If we reach our goals this year, I'll be more than OK, whether it's here in Atlanta, or someone else.

Sekou: "Does that mean you'll be seeking an significant multi-year deal from someone."

Woody: "Some job security would be nice, whether it be here in Atlanta, or somewhere else."

The comments would start a firestorm on the Hawks blogs and message boards, calling Woody selfish, and playing the starters into the ground, to make him look better, so he could leave the Hawks and/or extort ( yes, that's how it would be described as ) more money from them.

Ken would write a piece on the AJC Hawks Blog entitled:

"Whether it be in Atlanta . . . "

It'll halfway take up for Woody, but justify why the Hawks haven't signed him long term . . using our inability to beat Orlando in 3 tries ( even though we've beaten Bostob twice and the Cavs once ) . and skepticism that the Hawks can't reach the Eastern Conference Finals ( even though no coach in Atlanta Hawk history has achieved this feat ), as justification for him not getting an extension.

And the Hawk masses will agree with him, until . . .

. . . someone interviews Sund, and asks him why he hasn't signed Woody to an extension. He'll give the bland answer of . . "we've decided to hold off on evaulating everything about the Hawks, until the season is over. We'd like to have Mike back. But we're also going to weigh all of our options."

Then shortly after that, some nationally known writer at ESPN writes a racially-charged article, stating how he belIeves that Black coaches aren't given a fair shake for some reason, even when they win.

He'll throw in things like how Charlie Strong ( Def. Coordinator @ Florida ) can't get a head coaching job at a major university, despite having 3 National Titles on his resume.

. . . or how Ty Willingham was fired at Notre Dame after only 4 years ( while other coaches always got 5 ), but Charlie Weis got an extension after 2 years, solely because he ALMOST beat the might USC Trojans

. . .or how Terry Porter was fired from the Suns after one year, despite missing the playoffs by one game, and winning 46 games.

. . and the kicker, how Mike Woodson, coach of the 1st place and now 42 - 16 Atlanta Hawks, still hasn't received an extension on his contract.

Most people would look at the article, and scoff at it, citing countless numbers of examples of how Black coaches were hired and extended. And they'd be right.

While others would be like "hmmmmm . . you know, that article does have a point" And they'd be right as well.

Now you got the national media blowing up Sund and the ASG's phones, asking them what they thought of that article, and how it pretains to Woody's situation.

It'll be interesting to see if they stuck to the same answers, gave a no comment, or felt forced to extend Woody, because of the mild negative heat they'd take if Woody was unsigned with that record.

LOL . . now THAT would be interesting . . if the fallout of Woody being named the coach of the All-Star team, led to all of that.

What's funny is you think Woody has any shot of ever coaching an all star team.

Edited by Atlantaholic

What's funny is you think Woody has any shot of ever coaching an all star team.

I never said that he would. I'm just going on with the premise of the thread of IF he did coach the All-Star game this year.

Actually, everyone on this board should be rooting for that to happen, because that'll mean that we're having a dream season.

The story was just a hypothetical of what may happen.

• 2 years later...

With visions of LD coaching in the All-Star game dancing through our heads these days, it brings me back to a couple of seasons ago when we nearly had the best record in the East at the mid-way point and there was talk of Woody coaching the Eastern Squad.

Perhaps this should become a "Hawksquawk Classic" topic?

• Like 2

LD doesn't have many humorous idiosyncracies like Woody did to poke fun at, only thing I could imagine is players asking out loud "who the f*** are you?" in the huddle. Of course, if KG unfortunately gets the "lifetime achievement honorary all star" spot I could definitely see him being the one doing this

LD doesn't have many humorous idiosyncracies like Woody did to poke fun at, only thing I could imagine is players asking out loud "who the f*** are you?" in the huddle. Of course, if KG unfortunately gets the "lifetime achievement honorary all star" spot I could definitely see him being the one doing this

LD already has his claim to fame by being on the Showtime (late night getting up there in age) Lakers and playing in the finals with Mike Dunleavy as head coach!

If only LD had a championship ring to flash at people while patrolling the sideline rather than being a footnote on those teams. I miss Woody waving that thing like he was utilizing the Schwartz to keep Bibby in front of PGs.

That was pretty damned funny I gotta give it to you! But to call LD a footnote, now that's just not right. Hell just last night I played some minutes as LD on 2K12 while trying to defeat Clyde "Never Misses" Drexler and the Blazers with Magic "I have the ugliest form on a jump shot in the history of 2K" Johnson and the Lakers as part of the great teams part of the game and if LD is important enough to be featured on 2K12 then he's far more than a footnote sir!

What a find! I'm not sure I've actually signed in (usually just lurk) since I made this post.

I remembered that a post like this existed because back then I was thinking the same thing so off to search I went. Glad to have you still around, even if you aren't posting.