• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks' Bibby takes rookie Teague under his wing

Admin

http://www.nba.com/2...ls=iref:nbahpt2

Jeff Teague remembered it as a summons. The Hawks rookie was back in the locker room, sans sneakers after this particular training camp practice. He had done his extra shooting work and had called it a day.

Mike Bibby had other ideas.

"He shoots a lot, that's his thing -- he shoots a lot of jump shots," Teague said of the veteran who shares his position. "I had taken off my shoes, I was ready to go home and take a shower. One of our guys came back in there and said, 'Mike wants you to come out there and shoot with him. It's not time for you to leave. You don't leave until Mike leaves.'"

Teague hasn't had to be told again. With his 11 years of point guard experience, Bibby has taken the 19th pick out of Wake Forest under his wing.

"He's already lightning fast and has the skills, but I tell him it's a lot tougher to guard somebody that can really shoot the ball," Bibby said. "The toughest people I've ever had to guard are people that have been lightning quick and can shoot the ball like Stephon Marbury."

Unlike Marbury, Bibby isn't planning a basketball sabbatical after signing on for another three years this past summer. But the Hawks are also planning for life after their 31-year-old playmaker.

"In a few more years, Mike will be fading out," Atlanta coach Mike Woodson said. "Jeff has got to be ready to go."

Grooming his eventual replacement has come naturally to Bibby, even if he never received such treatment. Back when he was a hotshot rookie out of Arizona in 1999, Bibby was supposed to be the backup to Lee Mayberry in Vancouver. That plan was scratched when Mayberry broke his foot in camp.

"I was the only point guard left and that's the way it started for me," said Bibby, who started all 50 games of the lockout-shortened season and earned All-Rookie first-team honors.

"I always worked hard regardless. Once I got to school, I knew what I wanted to be. A lot of people like to work out to where coaches and reporters see them working out, but that stuff doesn't make a difference to me. I'm going to get it in regardless who is watching."

And he's making sure Teague develops the same work ethic.

"Mike is a true veteran," Woodson said. "He's been that way since Day 1 when he came in with us. I've been on enough teams to see veterans not willing to help a young kid when they're just being selfish. That's not being a good pro. This young kid has an opportunity to be a player in this league."

Becoming one doesn't always happen overnight. Teague is playing less than 10 minutes per game behind Bibby and sixth man Jamal Crawford. The Hawks have depth across the board and are winning.

Atlanta (14-6) is proving that last season wasn't a fluke, joining the Celtics, Magic and Cavaliers as the only teams in the Eastern Conference playing .700 ball or better. Woodson can afford to bring Teague along slowly.

"As the season wears on, Jeff will get more minutes out there," Woodson said. "I think it's huge having veteran guys. You don't have to be thrown to the wolves right away and have to learn on the fly. That's the unique thing about our team this year versus teams in the past because I've always had to play young guys right out of the box and they just weren't ready to play."

Teague has adopted Bibby's post-practice shooting routine. Working with assistant Jim Todd, Teague has to nail 100 mid-range jumpers -- 10 spots and 10 shots. He also has to make three straight 3-pointers from five different points around the arc. The latter has proven the most challenging, but Teague sees the results.

"This is my craft and I want to be the best at it," said Teague, a third-team All-American last season in his second and final year with the Demon Deacons.

Teague hasn't done much shooting lately after practice with Bibby, who's been treating a sore left ankle. Bibby promised that as soon as he's ready again, he'll be out there with the rookie.

Patience is another lesson Teague is taking to heart.

"You want to play as a rookie, but you have to understand the situation," he said. "Mike knows what he's doing. I learn every day from him. I'd like to get out there and play, I'm a competitor, but I have to wait my turn and I'm happy with it.

"I'm not in a rush. We're winning and playing really good basketball. That's all that matters."

• Moderators

That's a good thing but Woody's logic is puzzling to me. In past years he couldn't afford to play young guys because we needed every win we could get. Now we are winning, he can afford to bring young guys along slowly?

That's the unique thing about our team this year versus teams in the past because I've always had to play young guys right out of the box and they just weren't ready to play

???? I guess he means that first week of the season. If he's referring to Smoove and Marvin and Chill then I could go along with that. It sure didn't seem like he 'had' to play Acie and Sheldon.

Edited by macdaddy

http://www.nba.com/2...ls=iref:nbahpt2

Jeff Teague remembered it as a summons. The Hawks rookie was back in the locker room, sans sneakers after this particular training camp practice. He had done his extra shooting work and had called it a day.

Mike Bibby had other ideas.

"He shoots a lot, that's his thing -- he shoots a lot of jump shots," Teague said of the veteran who shares his position. "I had taken off my shoes, I was ready to go home and take a shower. One of our guys came back in there and said, 'Mike wants you to come out there and shoot with him. It's not time for you to leave. You don't leave until Mike leaves.'"

Teague hasn't had to be told again. With his 11 years of point guard experience, Bibby has taken the 19th pick out of Wake Forest under his wing.

"He's already lightning fast and has the skills, but I tell him it's a lot tougher to guard somebody that can really shoot the ball," Bibby said. "The toughest people I've ever had to guard are people that have been lightning quick and can shoot the ball like Stephon Marbury."

I really like the sound of all of this.

Glad to hear Teague is focusing on his perimeter shot and Bibby is more then willing to help.

Teague has tons of talent, that is undisputable. Now we know he has an excellent work ethic and attitude. The combination of all 3 should take him a long way............I think Marbury was lacking in the work ethic and attitude department.

• Premium Member

the quote that made me scratch my head was:

"Bibby will be fading IN A FEW YEARS"

ummm... what do you call having a career worst ppg and apg average and being a complete ghost on defense? News flash Woody, BIbby is fading NOW, and we need Teague to start getting some PT so he can step in and give us something, if/when Bibby is injured or his game deteriorates further.

• Premium Member

ummm... what do you call having a career worst ppg and apg average and being a complete ghost on defense?

His defense has always been an issue, so that's irrelevant to discussions of him "fading."

Bibby's per game numbers are lower for two reasons:

1. The Hawks acquired another iso-player in Jamal Crawford. Bibby's job is to stretch the defense.

2. His usage rates are at an all-time low. He's taking fewer shots than he ever has. That's why his per minute numbers are lower.

In terms of shooting efficiently and on-court leadership, Bibby is arguably having his best season in a half decade.

• Moderators

His defense has always been an issue, so that's irrelevant to discussions of him "fading."

Put me in the camp that thinks that Bibby's terrible defense actually can get worse and that even if it stays the same it is still very relevant to discussions of whether we need to develop cover for him in the event his deficiencies become more problematic.

Bibby's per game numbers are lower for two reasons:

1. The Hawks acquired another iso-player in Jamal Crawford. Bibby's job is to stretch the defense.

2. His usage rates are at an all-time low. He's taking fewer shots than he ever has. That's why his per minute numbers are lower.

In terms of shooting efficiently and on-court leadership, Bibby is arguably having his best season in a half decade.

I agree that Bibby is playing just fine this season so far for what he is being asked to do. I do think, however, that continued injuries are very predictable and that further deterioration in his productivity is likely over the next two years. I doubt that shows up much in his shooting efficiency or on-court leadership but may result in him being even further limited in what kind of offense he can actually run and how much more he can do than spread the floor on offense.

• Premium Member

His Per and his defensive rating are at an all time low, he has had injury issues for the last four years and is turning 32.

Getting either Teague ready to contribute in a meaningful way or finding some way to get another PG who is already ready needs to be a priority, not just going forward after this season, but if we seriuosly expect to be able to compete down the stretch and into the playoffs this year.

Edited by Atlantaholic

• Premium Member

His Per and his defensive rating are at an all time low, he has had injury issues for the last four years and is turning 32.

Which defensive rating are you using? (Subtle hint: they all suck).

His lower usage rates are affecting his PER. Look at Marvin for further proof.

the quote that made me scratch my head was:

"Bibby will be fading IN A FEW YEARS"

ummm... what do you call having a career worst ppg and apg average and being a complete ghost on defense? News flash Woody, BIbby is fading NOW, and we need Teague to start getting some PT so he can step in and give us something, if/when Bibby is injured or his game deteriorates further.

What did you want Woody to say - "yeah Bibby pretty much sucks these days so we need Teague to be ready." C'mon man.

• Moderators

What did you want Woody to say - "yeah Bibby pretty much sucks these days so we need Teague to be ready." C'mon man.

The problem for me isn't what he is saying...it is what he is doing with Teague's minutes. 60% of games with 5 minutes and change or less isn't going to give us a viable option for when Bibby goes down or becomes a liability. Give Teague a consistent role with the team that is going to encourage his development and Woodson can sing Bibby's praises as an immortal for all I care.

The problem for me isn't what he is saying...it is what he is doing with Teague's minutes. 60% of games with 5 minutes and change or less isn't going to give us a viable option for when Bibby goes down or becomes a liability. Give Teague a consistent role with the team that is going to encourage his development and Woodson can sing Bibby's praises as an immortal for all I care.

Totally agree - I'm just saying we can't expect Woody to throw one of his guys under the bus in front of the media. I wouldn't want or expect Woody to say anything publicly about any decline in Bibby's play.