• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Funny stuff from the Hollinger/LaGree Daily Dime Live chat last night

Admin

johnhollinger: Hawks and Grizzlies. Two talented, athletic teams playing well, and what looks to be about a 1:1 player-to-fan ratio at Philips mausoleum.

johnhollinger: Randolph Morris just entered the game in the first quarter. Apocalypse now only seconds away.

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): Taking Jeff Teague, who plays about 10 minutes a night, out of the game after he picks up his second foul in the first half is least consequential and most amusing manifestation of a coaching tic you'll see tonight.

johnhollinger: Rare item: Zaza Pachulia just stole the ball in the paint, dribbled to the opposing 3-point line and lofted a perfect alley-oop to Horford. [Dolfan23 "NBA PLAY OF THE YEAR!!!!"]

johnhollinger: Thabeet bleeding, sent to locker room after colliding with Pachulia. Pachulia scarcely noticed the contact.

johnhollinger: I know Sam Young's had his moments this year, but he's going Chernobyl on the Grizzlies offense right now.

[Comment From Sam Youngs ankles: ] Bret - How do I feel?

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): Wobbly.

johnhollinger: Josh Smith just caught ball on the perimeter and at least 20 people behind me all yelled "Nooooo!" at the same time. He resisted the urge

johnhollinger: langsta is on fire tonight @langwhitaker Lionel Hollins looks like he's auditioning for the role of "incredulous bystander"

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): Joe Johnson may not miss another shot tonight. Plus, his defensive pressure led to Ruday Gay's rolled right ankle.

[Comment From PatrickPatrick: ]

Ya "Great D Joe, way to get that guy's ankle rolled"

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): Pressure D on the perimeter is not often seen in Hawks games.

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): Perimeter defense is not Memphis's strong suit.

[Comment From Alex: ]

Why do the Hawks match up so badly with the Magic?

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): When Nelson's healthy, Orlando is better at 4 of 5 positions, benches are roughly equal, and Lewis/Anderson force Josh Smith to guard someone away from the basket.

[Comment From BigMike21: ]

No way are the benches roughly equal. Crawford is better than any singular person on the Magic's bench but as a unit I think you have to take Orlando with Gortat, Anderson, Bass, Barnes, Reddick...

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): BigMike -- Orlando has more depth but there's ony so much depth you can use any given night.

[Comment From Darius Brown: ]

@ Bret 4 out of 5 positions? Are you serious?

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): Which one did I get wrong?

The Hawks are clearly better at the 2 and the 4

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): I think Vince Carter is Joe Johnson plus the ability to get to the line.

[Comment From Jordan: ]

vince carter shoots too much. I'll take JJ.

VC is a little better at getting to the line, but his overall game is no longer on par with JJ's in my opinion....especially on defense

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): Joe Johnson has struggled to guard 1s and 2s this year himself. He's done his best defensive work at the 3. They're almost identical percentage shooters from the field in their careers.

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): Josh Smith is thoroughly out-hustling (plus out-skilling) Memphis's "energy" guys in garbage time in Atlanta.

[Comment From Evan: ]

Chase Budinger will be the next white American all star

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): No volleyball comments, please.

[Comment From Brent: ]

Bret, will all these Hawks blowouts hurt them when they get in a close game?

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): I doubt it. This will be the most rested Joe Johnson's been since he was in Boston.

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): It's summer league in December here in Atlanta. Enjoyed it, folks. Stick around for the late games and take a peek at Hoopinion later on for the recap.

Bret LaGree (Hoopinion/TrueHoop Network): Taking Jeff Teague, who plays about 10 minutes a night, out of the game after he picks up his second foul in the first half is least consequential and most amusing manifestation of a coaching tic you'll see tonight.

I actually liked what Woody did when he pulled Teague. What happened what that he threw a pass that was tipped up in the air. The pass come right down over a memphis player and into his hands. Teague challenged him in what looked like a no-win situation and confounded the turnover with a silly foul. That's what got him pulled

Edited by AmishBoy

Great stuff. Funny comment about Josh Smith as well.

Interesting that he's only on pace for 10 3-point attempts on the season. As opposed to the average of 112 attempts/year he's had the previous 4 seasons.

He really is starting to get it and I think it's safe to say almost 1/3 through the season that it's not a fluke. I was holding my breath the first 10-12 games, but to me he's been doing it for too many games in a row for it to be a fluke. He's making a conscious effort to avoid launching those type of shots

• Moderators

Great stuff. Funny comment about Josh Smith as well.

Interesting that he's only on pace for 10 3-point attempts on the season. As opposed to the average of 112 attempts/year he's had the previous 4 seasons.

He really is starting to get it and I think it's safe to say almost 1/3 through the season that it's not a fluke. I was holding my breath the first 10-12 games, but to me he's been doing it for too many games in a row for it to be a fluke. He's making a conscious effort to avoid launching those type of shots

That better shot selection has been the single biggest factor in propelling Josh to All-Star status.