• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is Woody...a.....good coach?

MVP23

Woody on Jamal Crawford: ( from Hoopsworld.com article "Best NBA Trade of the Summer?" http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14767 )

"He's been a big part of (our success)," said Hawks head coach Mike Woodson. "We knew coming in that he wasn't going to start for our team based on the nucleus of our team and how the makeup of our team was already set. So I approached him and he and I sat down and I told him, 'You should try and lead the league in scoring off the bench.' If somebody gets hurt in the starting lineup then we will possibly move him into the lineup, but he's played his role beautifully for our team in terms of coming in and scoring."

For everything that Crawford has done right this season, his new head coach in Atlanta is still pushing him to try and expand his game.

"I'm pleased with him, but as a coach I'm pushing him to defend and help us rebound because that's where the game is won. I don't know how much he's ever been pushed in that category, but here he's going to be held accountable to have to defend. He better fake it or do something, but he's going to be accountable to defend and help us rebound."

LMAO @ "he better fake it or do something"

That last line is classic. And it just shows how much of a footprint Woody has on HIS TEAM and HIS PLAYERS.

Edited by northcyde

I will say, if i had a choice between Woody and Doc Rivers, I'd take Woody. Even when the Celts won it all, it was that cast of players more than anything Doc did to get them there. He was a great player here in Atlanta, but I've seen nothing great in him as a coach.

LMAO @ "he better fake it or do something"

That last line is classic. And it just shows how much of a footprint Woody has on HIS TEAM and HIS PLAYERS.

That is pretty darn hilarious. He does seem to tell his players all the right things, I just wonder why it has taken so long for the Hawks to adequately play defense, box out, and do some of these other things he is always supposedly preaching. Maybe they all decided to apply what he was telling them this year or something...whatever the case, I like how this team is playing and I have fewer questions about his coaching this year.

That is pretty darn hilarious. He does seem to tell his players all the right things, I just wonder why it has taken so long for the Hawks to adequately play defense, box out, and do some of these other things he is always supposedly preaching. Maybe they all decided to apply what he was telling them this year or something...whatever the case, I like how this team is playing and I have fewer questions about his coaching this year.

Because we are a bunch of knuckleheads who finally get it.

• Premium Member

I was going to start a thread like this... I have been very vocal in my criticism of Woodson in the past and I wanted him gone 3 years ago. Even as the season started this year, I had an awful twirling in my stomach thinking about this team's offensive identity. As much as I've disliked Woodson over the years, and as much as I've harped on the many different things he's said that I didn't like, I have to give the man his due right now. This team is playing some damn good basketball right now. I've been saying for years that we have got to get points in the paint if we're going to be successful - we're doing that (though I would like to see more touches for Horf). I've always been a fan of good defense and I believe that is what wins championships, because everybody in the league can score. The team is tops in the league at not turning the ball over. We've met some challenges this year and come out on top. Seriously...how can you argue with the facts. Much as I hate to say it...Mike Woodson is doing his job. He doesn't deserve all the credit - because these players have really come into their own (except Marvin). However, we're getting results.Hats off to Mike Woodson. He's not a bad coach, though I never thought he was. Is he capable of taking this team to the next level? So far, he's making a pretty convincing case. Huge test coming in the next couple of days. Too bad I'm going to be all up in some New Year's Naughtiness to catch it. (dammitdammitdammitdammt!!!!!!)