• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks rebounding rate dropping fast

exodus

• Moderators

This is the single most sobering trend with this team. We aren't going anywhere without healthy defensive rebounding to start our fast break and offensive rebounding to increase our possessions.

The Hawks defensive rebound rate is currently 23rd in the league and tied with 3 other teams so with one more bad game they could be down to 26th. http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats?sort=drr&seasonType=2&league=nba

In case you are wondering this is a verybadsign.

Agreed...terrible, terrible sign. As was broken down in a posted article recently, the Hawks have a top 5 (#3 at the time) offense--not because of sharp jump shooting, terrific three point efficiency, or a super fast pace (a la GSW), but because of our ability to nab rebounds (especially offensive rebounds) and run the fast break to perfection..which also increases our possessions and points scored. Since that is the case, I don't know what Woodson is telling these players, but if I were the Hawks, I would be breaking my neck to secure rebounds, run the break, and outhustle every damn opponent that faced us...

Because when we do that, through four quarters, we can measure up with ANY team ANYWHERE.

Edited by TheTruth

We got out rebounded by 10 last night against a weak front line.

Rebounding will just get tougher tonight against Kaman and Camby.

Horford and Smith are great on the break but they have to concetrate on rebounding more then getting out on the break. There is no fast break without rebounding.

Whats sort of interesting is that the other top 3 teams in the east are all in the bottom 10 in the league for offensive rebounds. Hopefully thats a sign that this flaw won't become fatal.

it is the other side of the court that is the big problem. Orlando and Cleveland are 1 and 2 in defensive rebounding rate.

Agreed...terrible, terrible sign. As was broken down in a posted article recently, the Hawks have a top 5 (#3 at the time) offense--not because of sharp jump shooting, terrific three point efficiency, or a super fast pace (a la GSW), but because of our ability to nab rebounds (especially offensive rebounds) and run the fast break to perfection..which also increases our possessions and points scored. Since that is the case, I don't know what Woodson is telling these players, but if I were the Hawks, I would be breaking my neck to secure rebounds, run the break, and outhustle every damn opponent that faced us...

Because when we do that, through four quarters, we can measure up with ANY team ANYWHERE.

Truth, that's what Woody has been preaching since he's been here. That's why he doesn't give a (( blank )) about the offense . . because he constantly preaches on the importance of rebounding and defense. That's the reason why he's always told his frontcourt players to grab a rebound, and push the ball up the floor if they have the opportunity to do so. The frontcourt rebounding was an issue even before the season started though. It was honestly a problem last year. But we chose to address the PG issue, because of the uncertain status of Bibby.

We just can't catch a break with these draft picks. When we draft a guy who was a big time rebounder and a supposedly tough defender, he turns out to be a soft dude who doesn't have the athleticism to be a force on the NBA level ( Shelden ). When we draft a PG to run the team, he can't shoot or finish when going to the rim ( Law, Teague ).

LOL . . and we're missing out on the better player each time. Who wouldn't rather have Dejuan Blair on this team right now, than Jeff Teague? Even if Dejuan's knees won't hold up for more than 5 years, he would be great to bring off the bench for this team, or even insert into the lineup when the Hawks are struggling to rebound.

That's always been an issue with me too and especially as of late. Horford i've noticed has regressed a lot in his boardwork and Josh has diminished some as well. I watch them sometimes and they don't even make the effort on some shots and just turn and go down the court. They have to get back to during some serious board work cause as undersized as we are in the post we should not be getting out hustled or out worked. We need to get back on track off the glass.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like just a couple of weeks ago i checked the Hawks rebounding rate and it was 6th in the NBA. Now it is down to 12th. This is a bad sign for me since much of the Hawks offense (fast breaks, second chance points) starts with rebounding.

The defensive rebounding has really fallen off, all the way down to 17th.

Now the Hawks are 24th in the NBA in rebounding rate, 25th in defensive rebounding.

Unacceptable! If only Zaza had played worth a dang this year and Joe Smith contributed , this wouldn't be that bad. But outside of Horford and Smoove (and JJ every now and then), NO ONE hits the boards. You won't see any of our bench guys grab 7 or so rebounds a night like many other teams. And Marvin isn't rebounding like he should. We GOTTA get backup big man that will rebound in the offseason.

• Moderators

I can't wait to hear how the Hawks poor rebounding is Woodson's fault.

Some people credited Woody's schemes in the past for our stellar offensive rebounding. I am curious if those same people think scheme is still the issue on either side of the court? ;)

You can say many things about the Hawks scheme but the one thing it does well is not make people do things are terrible at. The Hawks don't ask Josh Smith and Horford to beat their guys 1 on 1- those guys tend to get the ball once the defense is already in motion. They don't ask Marvin and Bibby to shoot 3 pointers on the move. They tend to let Horford and Smith concentrate on offensive rebounding rather than setting picks on the perimeter.

Atlanta is a good offensive rebounding team and a horrid defensive rebounding team. Somehow thats evidence to you that the Hawks scheme on offense doesn't help their offensive rebounding numbers? I do think that the scheme on offense affects the rebounding numbers where on defense its more on the players. I think offensive rebounding is seen as a trade off between going after the board and stopping transition points. Simply put - there are times when teams don't go after offensive rebounds. I don't think there should be times when teams choose to not go after defensive rebounds. If you are getting beat on the defensive boards to me its on the players.

I think a huge part of the Hawks problems with defensive rebounding are how often Josh Smith goes for the block. He goes WAY out of position to try for the block and it leaves the Hawks hugely vulnerable to offensive rebounds.

Edited by spotatl

Atlanta is a good offensive rebounding team and a horrid defensive rebounding team. Somehow thats evidence to you that the Hawks scheme on offense doesn't help their offensive rebounding numbers? I do think that the scheme on offense affects the rebounding numbers where on defense its more on the players. I think offensive rebounding is seen as a trade off between going after the board and stopping transition points. Simply put - there are times when teams don't go after offensive rebounds. I don't think there should be times when teams choose to not go after defensive rebounds. If you are getting beat on the defensive boards to me its on the players.

I think a huge part of the Hawks problems with defensive rebounding are how often Josh Smith goes for the block. He goes WAY out of position to try for the block and it leaves the Hawks hugely vulnerable to offensive rebounds.

The Hawks are 12th in offensive rebounding rate which is certainly better than what they do on defense but it doesn't qualify as good in my book.

• Moderators

Probably more visual perspective than anything concrete, but it seems like opponents are using the volleyball approach on fullcourt sets to get better access to offensive boards. If taller players can't get a good position on the Hawks PFs and Cs, they try to get a hand on the ball and try to tip it outside the paint and let teammates snare the rebound. That's where the other players (Marvin, Mo, Craw, Bibbs in particular; JJ's pretty much does his part) have to beat out their own man for the loose ball.

Also on opponents' fastbreak opportunities, Hawks opponents also seem to be getting more follow-up buckets whenever the initial layup attempts fail to go in. The discrepancy in second-chance opportunities were a sore spot against the Jazz last night.

~lw3