• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Lead ref in Cavs-Hawks (2) Ken Mauer has a criminal record...why is he in the NBA?

hawks21

My link

In 2000, Mauer was convicted of a felony, three counts of tax evasion, and one count of obstruction of justice for not reporting downgraded airline tickets as income to the Internal Revenue Service. Mauer failed to pay taxes on $26,500 of additional income over a three-year period.Mauer was one of two NBA referees who chose not to plea bargain his case believing that there was an injustice done against him.Mauer stated that he never intended to commit a criminal act and his accountants signed off on his tax returns and was not told of any issues. In April 2001, Mauer was sentenced to five months in jail, five months of home detention, three years of supervised release, and 800 hours of community service.At the conclusion of the trial, Mauer said, "I'm proud that I stood up for myself. At the same time, I'm relieved that it turned out this way. This is the first decent day I've had in a year and a half. This summer is going to be hard, serving my sentence. But I'm going to turn it into a positive thing. I'm going to help the kids, I'll get into shape.

LOL . . . damn. Someone needs to investigate the timekeeper. What's his/her name, and see if he/she owes anybody any money.

Anything is possible. ESPN isn't going to pursue this story. It will take local media or the New York Times to dig deeper to look at connections.

The Hawks weren't favored to win this game, and who knows what may have been going on.

Additionally, look at the type of calls Mauer was making. I noticed multiple defensive three-second calls in the first half. The Cavs were struggling offensively and these types of calls were turnovers for the Hawks that resulted in FTs. Thus trying to change the momentum of the game (potentially). The refs may have anticipated the Hawks would get mad and started screwing up (and commit their own turnovers), but the Hawks held firm and kept the lead until almost the end.

After last night, the Hawks were supposed to LOSE BIG on Lebron's birthday and may have been seen as a SAFE BET...

Anything is possible. ESPN isn't going to pursue this story. It will take local media or the New York Times to dig deeper to look at connections.

The Hawks weren't favored to win this game, and who knows what may have been going on.

Additionally, look at the type of calls Mauer was making. I noticed multiple defensive three-second calls in the first half. The Cavs were struggling offensively and these types of calls were turnovers for the Hawks that resulted in FTs. Thus trying to change the momentum of the game (potentially). The refs may have anticipated the Hawks would get mad and started screwing up (and commit their own turnovers), but the Hawks held firm and kept the lead until almost the end.

After last night, the Hawks were supposed to LOSE BIG on Lebron's birthday and may have been seen as a SAFE BET...

Did you read that dudes entire Wiki entry? Mauer's first NBA Finals game, was Game 3 of the Miami - Dallas series in 2006.

LOL . . . oh reallly?

When you see that, it kind of makes what you say even more intriguing. We all know what happened in that 2006 Finals series. It was the Dwyane Wade free throw shooting clinic. All of those calls he started to get, changed that series.

Did you read that dudes entire Wiki entry? Mauer's first NBA Finals game, was Game 3 of the Miami - Dallas series in 2006.

LOL . . . oh reallly?

When you see that, it kind of makes what you say even more intriguing. We all know what happened in that 2006 Finals series. It was the Dwyane Wade free throw shooting clinic. All of those calls he started to get, changed that series.

ESPN still hasn't mentioned that the Hawks have protested the game... Interesting...

Northcyde,

There is definitely an integrity problem in regard to the NBA and David Stern needs to answer for this before he sneaks away to retirement..

Look at this story : http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/12/11/weekly.countdown/index.html

ESPN still hasn't mentioned that the Hawks have protested the game... Interesting...

Northcyde,

There is definitely an integrity problem in regard to the NBA and David Stern needs to answer for this before he sneaks away to retirement..

Look at this story : http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/12/11/weekly.countdown/index.html

Seeing the Stern is entertaining the talks of NBA gambling and the talk of a team in Vegas is pretty scary.

Not even Realgm.com or insidehoops.com are mentioning the Hawks / Cavs game being formally protested. It seems when Wade and Riley protested for the Heat, last year, that everyone covered it.

Now you know why old timers and most highschool and college basketball coaches refuse to watch or "get into" NBA ball.

If only Paul Hewitt knew how to coach all that talent he has had at GT or if Fox had any talent to coach at UGA then I would have a local alternate to scratch my basketball itch.