• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Kanye West VH1 Storytellers album

Admin

This album really is great if you like his music as it's nothing like a traditional live album but there are several times where he comes off as a huge douche, especially in the song "Amazing". Anyway, here is a review on it from Rolling Stone back when it first aired on TV.

http://www.rollingst...1-storytellers/

Kanye West's VH1 Storytellers aired Saturday, February 28th, and provided the rapper with a venue to perform his greatest hits and talk candidly about everything except the actual songs. "You know, I'm like supposed to talk about what some of these songs mean, and some of this stuff is so personal to me, and some of stuff I've been through is so real," West said following "Flashing Lights." "In the format, I'm supposed to break down certain things… certain things are hard for me to talk about, and I'm sorry VH1 for that."

Instead, West used the four minutes of instrumentation that followed each song as a place to rattle off whatever popped into his head, which included butchered movie quotes ("I get my quotes from movies because I don't read" - Dolfan23 he gets to this point because he wants to say a quote that meant a lot to him and he couldn't remember where he heard it but the quote was "you either die a hero or live long enough to become the villian" which says so much to me about him that he becomes inspired by the Dark Knight movie), musical influences (including Tenacious D, as we learn during "Robocop" — watch it, above) and a whole bunch of controversial statements — some of which did not make the show's final cut.

"Michael Jackson, amazing. Michael Phelps, amazing," West said during "Amazing," with each name drawing a loud cheer from the Sony Studios crowd. However, when the rapper said "O.J. Simpson, amazing. Is he not, what he did, was he not amazing though," the crowd just sat dumbfounded, and probably for a good reason. It's like West intentionally tries to make himself a lightning rod for controversy, as even comments edited out of the telecast dissing Radiohead and supporting Chris Brown became a big story last week.

Thankfully, the performances were strong throughout the night, especially on 808s & Heartbreak's "Robocop" and Graduation's "Flashing Lights." Where the show meandered, for example, is when three-and-a-half minute songs like "Heartless" became 10 minutes long, filled up with on-the-spot verses you'd probably hear at a coffee shop's open mic night. "I'm just the star of The Truman Show," West said, referencing the film where the entire world literally revolved around Jim Carrey. If nothing also, the Storytellers featured great performances and an in-depth look into West's mega-sized ego. Check out Nah Right for video of the rest of the show.

Kanye is one of those polarizing figures where people hate him or love him, but I sort of sit on the fence with him. Love his music, think he's an *ss, but love his music enough that I really don't care if he's an *ss. He's like Puffy to me, who most people hate, but I like the dude. I still listen to No Way Out 4 times a year. I have recently split the artist from the persona. After Steve McNair I realized came to the conclusion that no person is put on this earth to live up to your expectations, so if you don't like him personally, get the f*** over it, just enjoy him from an entertainment standpoint. If you're really that concerned, pray for him.

• Premium Member

Kanye is one of those polarizing figures where people hate him or love him, but I sort of sit on the fence with him. Love his music, think he's an *ss, but love his music enough that I really don't care if he's an *ss. He's like Puffy to me, who most people hate, but I like the dude. I still listen to No Way Out 4 times a year. I have recently split the artist from the persona. After Steve McNair I realized came to the conclusion that no person is put on this earth to live up to your expectations, so if you don't like him personally, get the f*** over it, just enjoy him from an entertainment standpoint. If you're really that concerned, pray for him.

Very good point.

That fact that some people would look to the Kanye's, Puffy's, etc to be your moral compass or to be able to speak out authoritatively on something other than entertainment is crazy. By that same token, I don't hate Kanye because he interrupted Taylor Swift. I think it was in very bad judgement. I wish he didn't do it... but does that mean that I'm supposed to go back over all of his music and re-evaluate what I like based on that?? Same thing with OJ. What OJ accomplished on the football field was freakin Amazing. If I believed that OJ did the murders, that still wouldn't taint his football heroics.