• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The failing of statistics....

Diesel

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

I was thinking about this earlier today.. so I thought I'd make a poll of it.

Really, their numbers are not that far apart... but I just put them at the exact same for this reason...

Who would you want of the two.

We talked a lot about size of Horf coming into the season. Sizewise, Horf is about 6'9.5" 245 and Nene is about 6'11.5" and 250 lbs.

However, given the same stats, would you want Horf over Nene or Nene over Horf?

Just a little discussion.

• Premium Member

I was thinking about this earlier today.. so I thought I'd make a poll of it.

Really, their numbers are not that far apart... but I just put them at the exact same for this reason...

Who would you want of the two.

We talked a lot about size of Horf coming into the season. Sizewise, Horf is about 6'9.5" 245 and Nene is about 6'11.5" and 250 lbs.

However, given the same stats, would you want Horf over Nene or Nene over Horf?

Just a little discussion.

Horford is better.

Picked Horf; his upside is higher and he also gives me a good option at PF should I ever get a true center like Nene. If I needed a center to make a run at a title, it would be a much harder decision given Nene's size. But for us and our young team, its Horf all day long.

I don't quite get where this would be a "failing" of statistics. I think that I'd slightly prefer Nene when he is healthy and he has been healthy the past 2 years.\

Nene is more of a post threat and I think he is better on defense against true centers.

Edited by spotatl

I don't quite get where this would be a "failing" of statistics. I think that I'd slightly prefer Nene when he is healthy and he has been healthy the past 2 years.

I agree. The stats give a adequate appraisal of their games. The biggest differences to me is Nenes size vs what I think is Als ability to play two positions at a high level. I take Al based on that versatility and being younger he still has a good bit of upside IMO.

Edited by Buzzard

Nene's just 27- but I agree if we are talking about which player I'd rather have over the next 5 years I'd take Horford because of his age and Nene's health concerns.

Exactly but if I am the Lakers minus just Bynum, I would be hard pressed not to take a healthy Nene instead for a championship run.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

How is statistics failing in this instance?

The failing statistic in this case was size.

Even though Nene is probably a whole 2 inches taller... Statistics suggest that him being an inside player he should wipe the floor with Horf.. However, Horf gets more rebounds and just as many points.

I went back and forth with it. Nene is definitely one of those guys whoose size is intriguing, but I like Horf's attitude.

Even though Nene is probably a whole 2 inches taller... Statistics suggest that him being an inside player he should wipe the floor with Horf.. However, Horf gets more rebounds and just as many points.

I think we both did not understand that you considered size measurements as part of a failing statistic. Big Ben, Dennis Rodman, and Bill Russel would be on the all time list of that as a statistic.

Edited by Buzzard

So when statistics tell us that Nene gets 8 rebounds a game he really gets more because of his size? I am not seeing where statistics is failing.

So when statistics tell us that Nene gets 8 rebounds a game he really gets more because of his size? I am not seeing where statistics is failing.

I think its more like when Nene gets 8 boards a game compared to Horfs; it would make you think by just looking at their stats they are the same size or maybe Horf is bigger. I think that is his point.

Edited by Buzzard