• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will JJ+Josh+Horford make it to the all star game

jerrywest

JJ is in.

Josh should be in unless he plays badly rest of this month.

Josh+Al have great opportunities to beef up their stat in this 5 game homestand.

Josh's main competitor Wallace is falling further behind, but Wallace still has superior numbers. Huge rebounding advantage for Wallace.

Al has to beat out Bogut/Lee/Noah/Bargnani. I hope the coaches look at total contribution rather than stats.

Starters: Howard/Garnett/LeBron/Iverson/Wade. Iverson has too big a lead to lose out to Carter. No Arenas.

Bench: Bosh/Pierce/JJ

Bubble: Rondo/Rose/MWilliams - Deng/Josh/Wallace - Lee/Bogut/Horford/Noah.

I think Garnett & Iverson will sit out. This is a weak East squad.

For Horford - next year might be a much harder year to make it to the All Star game chiefly because, Lopez will play next to a superstar and he will also get all the Chinese votes (Yi). Bynum might get traded for Bosh. The center positions in the East will become much more loaded.

Yi will also gobble up one of the forward spots next year.

Hopefully this year isn't the largest window for Josh & Al. They really need to go all out in the next 3 weeks.

I don't see anyone but JJ making it in this year. Smoove probably would have a very strong shot had he kept up his performance in November. Horford will probably always be a fringe All Star type player. Remember, it is still very much a popularity contest more than anything.

I don't see Josh getting in. I think Al has a better shot of getting in then Josh, simply because the Center position is terrible. After Dwight (who is a tad overrated imo) and Shaq (popularity contest winner) Al is the clear number 3..don't the best 3 of each position get in?..Josh is listed as a forward, and Lebron, Pauly, Bosh, KG, etc will all get more votes then him, so I say Al gets in..

After Dwight (who is a tad overrated imo) and Shaq (popularity contest winner) Al is the clear number 3..don't the best 3 of each position get in?..Josh is listed as a forward, and Lebron, Pauly, Bosh, KG, etc will all get more votes then him, so I say Al gets in..

Your statement suggests that you are unaware of the fact that the starters are voted in and the subs are picked by the coaches.

Howard/Garnett/LeBron/Iverson/Wade will be voted by fans.

Pierce/Bosh/JJ will surely be picked by the coaches.

The coaches will fill the other 4 positions also. Probably from : Rondo/Rose/MWilliams - Deng/Josh/Wallace - Lee/Bogut/Horford/Noah.

If Hawks have superior record rest of this month and they overtake 1 or 2 of the elites, the coaches might pick all 3 Hawks.

to be clear on the rules for the reserves:

the coaches have to pick 2 guards (as listed in the ballot) 2 forwards, 1 center, and 2 "wild cards" (any position).

If a player selected can't play because of injury, then David Stern picks the replacement from whichever position he wants.

so after the starting 5 (wade, iverson, lebron, kg, howard) coaches pick:

so for the guards, 2 of the following will be picked by the coaches:

rondo, carter, JJ, nelson, mo williams, rose

for the forwards, 2 of the following:

Bosh, Pierce, Butler, Granger, Lee, Smoove, Iggy, Deng

For the center, 1 of the following:

Bargnani, Bogut, Horford (it doesn't matter if people see him as a forward, on the ballot he is a center), Shaq

And then the 2 most voted who didnt get in will be the 2 wildcards

Which, to me, means Horford has a much bigger chance of being in the all star game than Josh Smith

Why? Because he is a lot more likely to win the coach vote for center than josh smith is to win the vote for the wildcard.

Bosh and Pierce are almost locks to win the vote for back up forward, so smith would have to be a "wildcard position" competing in votes against players of all positions. Considering it is likely that 2 of 3 the three among rondo, mo willams, and jameer nelson will not make it as the top two guards, I bet they will get a lot of votes for the "wild card" position, making it very difficult for smoove to make it, even if he is the 3rd most voted forward among the coaches.

If KG doesn't play, Stern has tended to pick big names over good players, and Im sure he would pick shaq or another big name, like Ray Allen.

Edited by dlpin

• Moderators

Mo Williams and Jameer Nelson should not be all-stars.

Jameer - 21 games, 14.1 PER

Mo - Above average but unexceptional stats, no D, 16.5 PER

Josh - 21.6 PER + impact defender

This shouldn't be close if it comes down to Josh versus these mediocre guards. If either makes the All-Star game it will be a travesty (whether Josh makes it or not).

I personally think JJ and Josh are going this year.

to be clear on the rules for the reserves:

the coaches have to pick 2 guards (as listed in the ballot) 2 forwards, 1 center, and 2 "wild cards" (any position).

If a player selected can't play because of injury, then David Stern picks the replacement from whichever position he wants.

so after the starting 5 (wade, iverson, lebron, kg, howard) coaches pick:

so for the guards, 2 of the following will be picked by the coaches:

rondo, carter, JJ, nelson, mo williams, rose

for the forwards, 2 of the following:

Bosh, Pierce, Butler, Granger, Lee, Smoove, Iggy, Deng

For the center, 1 of the following:

Bargnani, Bogut, Horford (it doesn't matter if people see him as a forward, on the ballot he is a center), Shaq

And then the 2 most voted who didnt get in will be the 2 wildcards

Which, to me, means Horford has a much bigger chance of being in the all star game than Josh Smith

Why? Because he is a lot more likely to win the coach vote for center than josh smith is to win the vote for the wildcard.

Bosh and Pierce are almost locks to win the vote for back up forward, so smith would have to be a "wildcard position" competing in votes against players of all positions. Considering it is likely that 2 of 3 the three among rondo, mo willams, and jameer nelson will not make it as the top two guards, I bet they will get a lot of votes for the "wild card" position, making it very difficult for smoove to make it, even if he is the 3rd most voted forward among the coaches.

If KG doesn't play, Stern has tended to pick big names over good players, and Im sure he would pick shaq or another big name, like Ray Allen.

Nicely explained.

Your forgot Wallace.

Is Lee a forward?

I think Garnett & Iverson will sit out and that will increase Josh/Horf's chances a lot.

Carter & Allen are having miserable seasons. Even their own fans are sick of them.

I think this is how it will go:

guards: Iverson/Wade + JJ/Rondo + Mo

Forwards: Garnett/Lebron + Bosh/Pierce + Josh

Center: Howard + Bogut

Injury replacements Rose and (Lee or Wallace)

Since Rose will be in, Bulls won't get a 2nd player(Noah). Granger/Arenas/Jamison missed too many games. Shaq has been far from Shaq.

• Premium Member

I don't see anyone but JJ making it in this year. Smoove probably would have a very strong shot had he kept up his performance in November. Horford will probably always be a fringe All Star type player. Remember, it is still very much a popularity contest more than anything.

Yup, just JJ this year.

This shouldn't be close if it comes down to Josh versus these mediocre guards. If either makes the All-Star game it will be a travesty (whether Josh makes it or not).

Mo will make it because of his ppg & 3pt%. East has far inferior guards.

Its sad that in the West far superior players like DWill/Parker/Kidd/JT/Billup/Evans/Davis/Brook will miss out because Nash/Paul/McGrady/Roy/Kobe will fill up their guard positions. I am really pulling for Nash to overtake McGrady and throw him out of the top 2 vote receivers. I think Utah fans should vote for Nash to get McGrady out of the team. D Will gets snubbed every year.

"Should" unfortunately has nothing to do with being selected. Coaches will vote for Nelson (or carter) and Williams because they are the only other players with a shot at the all star game in the teams with the top 2 records in the conference.

I agree the 5 best guards in the East so far this season have been

Wade

JJ

Rondo

Jamal Crawford

Derrick Rose

However because of where teams are in the standings jameer ,VC,Mo williams etc all will be considered even over Al and Horf

So far this year the 5 best forwards have been

Lebron

Bosh

Pierce

Gerald Wallace

Josh

The top 3 centers have been

Howard

Al

Perkins

As I said earlier this season there is a chance for us to have 3 but they have to take it . They want 3 players in well get at least that #2 spot . They have 6 games over two weeks to make up 2 games .

You guys are also forgetting Brook Lopez who should be the backup to Dwight at center and if he's not it's a travesty. The guy isn't far off of 20/10 with 2 blocks per game. I love Al and hope that he makes it but I wouldn't want to see him get in over Lopez simply because it wouldn't be right.

• Moderators

You guys are also forgetting Brook Lopez who should be the backup to Dwight at center and if he's not it's a travesty. The guy isn't far off of 20/10 with 2 blocks per game. I love Al and hope that he makes it but I wouldn't want to see him get in over Lopez simply because it wouldn't be right.

I seriously doubt Lopez will make it because of how terrible the Nets are. There is the question of how much Lopez has been putting up numbers on a bad team. For example, when the talent upgraded with the return of Yi, Lopez saw his scoring average dive from 20 ppg to under 16 ppg. How many fewer opportunities would he be getting if he was playing with JJ, Crawford, Bibby, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, etc.? Horford is averaging more RPG and Lopez more BPG (both top 20). I don't think it would be a travesty if Lopez is an All-Star but he is certainly not so far removed from Al that I think it would be a terrible thing if Al or someone actually winning games was the All-Star rep.

Lopez has been playing with All-Star Devin Harris and has won 3 of 37 games. That pretty much rules him out in the minds of a lot of coaches, imo.

• Premium Member

I seriously doubt Lopez will make it because of how terrible the Nets are. There is the question of how much Lopez has been putting up numbers on a bad team. For example, when the talent upgraded with the return of Yi, Lopez saw his scoring average dive from 20 ppg to under 16 ppg. How many fewer opportunities would he be getting if he was playing with JJ, Crawford, Bibby, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, etc.? Horford is averaging more RPG and Lopez more BPG (both top 20). I don't think it would be a travesty if Lopez is an All-Star but he is certainly not so far removed from Al that I think it would be a terrible thing if Al or someone actually winning games was the All-Star rep.

Lopez has been playing with All-Star Devin Harris and has won 3 of 37 games. That pretty much rules him out in the minds of a lot of coaches, imo.

If you look at per 36 minute stats, the only areas in which Lopez leads Horford are in points (18.3 to 14.2), blocks (1.9 to 1.4), and free throw percentage (.835 to .764). Horford does better in rebounds (10.4 to 9.4), field goal percentage (.527 to .514), turnovers and (1.5 to 2.5), and fouls committed (2.9 to 3.3). I think Horford easily matches Lopez's scoring and block output and extends his lead in rebounding if they switch teams, though I think Lopez would end up winning the FG% battle in that case.

Oh, and did I mention that the Nets are 3-34?

People also tend to forget that being surrounded with bad players actually helps you in all non-efficiency stat categories. If you're surrounded by bad rebounders, you'll get more rebounds individually. If you're surrounded by poor help defenders, you'll get more blocks individually. Lopez's stats are questionable in every stat category simply because it's tough to see how much of his stats are simply a product of the fact that no one else is there to do those things and because he gets more minutes (1st in the East and 2nd in the NBA among centers) for want of a decent backup.

I'm not saying that Horford is definitely better than Lopez, and certainly am not judging who will be better 3 years from now (the latter of which is irrelevant in All-Star selection). But it sure as hell wouldn't be a travesty if Brook Lopez didn't make the All-Star team.