• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Must read: Embedded with the Hawks

jerrywest

• Premium Member

GREAT READ - - ALL OF IT !!

We can't have everything. We should know that. You take what you have and make the most of it.

Woody doesn't worry about offense. We've known that for a long time, haven't we.

Bibby is the Hawks offense leader. He is the head coach of our offense. Remember,

when he came here, Woody said, whatever Bibby wanted to do with the ofense, then

the Hawks would do that.

We can't afford to lose Bibby. If he has an injury, he will still be around, coaching the others.

Remember the offense we ran before Bibby? You think it's bad now? It was much worse then.

Forget those "Trade Bibby ideas." If he leaves, who would coach the offense? No one, that's who.

Woody preaches defense. Constantly. This stuff works, as Woody almost said. Getting stops

and turnovers means extra chances to score. Fast breaks! Yeah!!

Personally, everyone knows what the real sore spot is with me. Missed free throws! They count too.

Those down the stretch, they really look at. But, those hit or missed earlier in the game count just

as much as those late in the 4th quarter. They may not be as dramatic, but, dang it, they count.

So, Hit those free throws!!

Again - Great Read. Thanks for finding and posting.

:conversation:

I'm sorry but you don't ask players to coach a team. If Woodson gives no input, no direction, no coaching, no teaching on offense then why in the hell is he the head coach? Seriously, why? This guy should be an assistant coach on defense and that's it.

• Premium Member

I've always been a fan of defensive minded coaches and I L-O-V-E-D that about Woodson when be brought him in. Though, that piece just confirmed what we've been talking about for so long. I like Woodson as a coach, but I disagree about the offense. Play great defense and when you run into great defense on the other end...then what? This is a HUGE part of the reason why we hit these dead stretches. It's also why we get blown out by certain teams and can't keep our thumbs down on big leads. There is a game to be played on both sides of the court. Championship caliber teams get it done on both ends. I see why Detroit won those championships.

Woodson needs to either pick up some interest in spreading our offense or bring someone in who can.

Great read. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've always been a fan of defensive minded coaches and I L-O-V-E-D that about Woodson when be brought him in. Though, that piece just confirmed what we've been talking about for so long. I like Woodson as a coach, but I disagree about the offense. Play great defense and when you run into great defense on the other end...then what? This is a HUGE part of the reason why we hit these dead stretches. It's also why we get blown out by certain teams and can't keep our thumbs down on big leads. There is a game to be played on both sides of the court. Championship caliber teams get it done on both ends. I see why Detroit won those championships.

Woodson needs to either pick up some interest in spreading our offense or bring someone in who can.

Great read. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Been my, one and only beef -albeit big one- with our coaching staff. I know we average a ton of points a game, and all that, so there's merit in saying that our offense is "a-ok"....but it's not. When I read articles like this one (loved it, the behind the scenes stuff is awesome) it just supports my belief every game I watch them - we don't know what we're doing on offense. Our points per game are higher because we have another top-notch iso weapon coming off the bench. But hearing woody just stating "you're gonna score, forget about offense" is strange. Our offense is iso's and fast breaks...run.

Then again, we're 25-13. Who am I to point fingers? I can deal with the selfish, 1 on 1 half courts sets forever if we keep this up.

• Premium Member

Been my, one and only beef -albeit big one- with our coaching staff. I know we average a ton of points a game, and all that, so there's merit in saying that our offense is "a-ok"....but it's not. When I read articles like this one (loved it, the behind the scenes stuff is awesome) it just supports my belief every game I watch them - we don't know what we're doing on offense. Our points per game are higher because we have another top-notch iso weapon coming off the bench. But hearing woody just stating "you're gonna score, forget about offense" is strange. Our offense is iso's and fast breaks...run.

Then again, we're 25-13. Who am I to point fingers? I can deal with the selfish, 1 on 1 half courts sets forever if we keep this up.

Thing is, I just don't see us going very far with that mentality. In the playoffs where guys are playing harder and every possession counts, I just don't see us getting by with "pick up" basketball on offense. Defense is the key, but you have to be able to score when you get the ball back. Hats off to Mike Woodson for how he motivates these guys and his defensive philosophy. Gotta figure out what to do on offense though.