• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Defending Dwight: Will the Hawks need to pick a fight with Howard?

hawks21

The Hawks must find a way to frustrate Howard and get more physical. Dwight is a local guy, and FRIENDS with Josh and has a size advantage over the smaller Al Horford. Howard has too much of a comfort zone, and if the Hawks want to beat Orlando, then the way this team has been defending Howard has to change.

We don't have a Bruce Bowen, Dennis Rodman or an enforcer, but Woodson may have to bring Zaza or Jason Collins off the bench to deliver the hard fouls. JASON COLLINS has SIX FOULS and sending a message to Howard may get in his head and make him less effective.

The Hawks must find a way to frustrate Howard and get more physical. Dwight is a local guy, and FRIENDS with Josh and has a size advantage over the smaller Al Horford. Howard has too much of a comfort zone, and if the Hawks want to beat Orlando, then the way this team has been defending Howard has to change.

We don't have a Bruce Bowen, Dennis Rodman or an enforcer, but Woodson may have to bring Zaza or Jason Collins off the bench to deliver the hard fouls. JASON COLLINS has SIX FOULS and sending a message to Howard may get in his head and make him less effective.

I agree with you hawks21...but I don't know if we have the players to do it. Collins had a nice game against Shaq..but Dwight is a different animal. Truth is (IMHO) Howard isn't the problem....it's concentrating on Howard that is the problem. Let him get 20/15...20 points don't win games. ...make him shoot free throws.

Edited by DJlaysitup

I agree with you hawks21...but I don't know if we have the players to do it. Collins had a nice game against Shaq..but Dwight is a different animal. Truth is (IMHO) Howard isn't the problem....it's concentrating on Howard that is the problem. Let him get 20/15...20 points don't win games. ...make him shoot free throws.

Exactly. Hawks' defense often collapses on him which leaves Magic shooters open.

• Premium Member

I see it differently..

I say you make the game hard for Lewis, Carter, and Nelson. We can play others on Howard but I wouldn't double him. Orlando has a coaching flaw of going away from Howard. i would let them do that and just stop everybody else.

#1, Jason Collins should be on the active roster for this game.

#2, I don't care if you have to change his name to Royal Collins or Jason Ivey, I want him starting the game playing Howard 1 on 1 and I don't care if he picks up 3 quick ones in 5 minutes as long as he sets the tone and shows Howard he has to work and gets our other guys to realize they have to play their men 1v1 too.

For some reason we play scared against Dwight. I mean he comes across as big and goofy but not really intimidating. We need to go at him and get him in foul trouble. We tend to settle for jumpers far too often. I think that our fearless leader, Jamal Crawford will attack the rim. We should limit our switching because they simply kill us when we switch against them. We should play man on man defense and let Collins/Morris get some tick on Howard. Woody has got to change his approach against the Magic losing is one thing but blowout after blowout is not acceptable.

Edited by Wurider05

For some reason we play scared against Dwight. I mean he comes across as big and goofy but not really intimidating. We need to go at him and get him in foul trouble. We tend to settle for jumpers far too often. I think that our fearless leader, Jamal Crawford will attack the rim. We should limit our switching because they simply kill us when we switch against them. We should play man on man defense and let Collins/Morris get some tick on Howard. Woody has got to change his approach against the Magic losing is one thing but blowout after blowout is not acceptable.

Horford went 1 for 3 vs. Howard for the whole game during the recent blowout. Big Al didn't look to use his own quickness and ability to put the ball on the floor vs. Howard.

Josh becomes a perimeter player going 6/17 from the field, but Smith is hestitant to challenge Dwight or attack the rim as well.

I would like to see Marvin at 6'9 challenge the rim and have an impact on the game, because I believe it would change the tone of the game..yet Marvin gets passive for long stretches of time...

Randolph Morris is 6'11 and played with Dwight Howard along with Josh Smith. Obviously, Dwight has excelled, but the Hawks have to get physical with Dwight and put him on the line 20 times...maybe missing half of them..

I see it differently..

I say you make the game hard for Lewis, Carter, and Nelson. We can play others on Howard but I wouldn't double him. Orlando has a coaching flaw of going away from Howard. i would let them do that and just stop everybody else.

That's a very good point about the "coaching flaw" D. I agree. If I had a dollar for everytime I've heard a football coach say"we'll run the ball, and if they can't stop the run, we will just keep running it"...only to see the coach call pass plays when the run was working.

Sometimes they outsmart themselves.

Edited by DJlaysitup