• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

This years rookie pg's

Tonight, Darren Collison scored 16 points and had 14 assists. He was picked after Teague. If Teague was the starter for the Hawks, do you guys think he could put up similar numbers to Collison or did the Hornets just find a diamond in the rough in the draft? I know that Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry, and Brandon Jennings are in a different class than Teague(at least for now). But Darren Collison? Are you serious. :cant believe:

I think it's also funny how some teams always end up drafting really well at certain positions while others struggle. The Hornets for example have drafter Baron Davis, CP3, and now Collison while the Hawks haven't been able to draft a good pg in forever. I really hope that Teague is our future franchise pg. I guess we would never know how Teague would have performed if he was drafted by the Knicks, Bucks, Pacers, Warriors or one of those teams this year but it's really interested to think about. Maybe point guards drafted by ATL are just jinxed. :Nail Biting: :sobbing:

ps I also hope Teague gets a lot of run during this month given our easy schedule. I love watching that kid play. Love how he runs people down and blocks shots. Amazing skill for a pg, very unique in that department.

• Moderators

Check out the consistent minutes Collison has been given to develop. After getting junk minutes early in the year, he has gotten a consistent 18 minutes +/- every game despite playing behind the best PG in the entire league (for the year he is averaging 15.5 mpg versus 8.7 for Teague). He has had a consistent role and has played a LOT of minutes with the team's top froncourt guys in West, Okafor, and Posey/Peja (in constrast to Teague who usually plays with 1 or none of our best starters JJ, Josh and Al).

I have reached the point where I think the Hawks need to bring in an Anthony Johnson for this season. Teague has played 5 minutes and change or less more than 50% of the games this season. There is no way a young player like Teague is going to get comfortable and be ready without a consistent role like Collison has had.

I have reached the point where I think the Hawks need to bring in an Anthony Johnson for this season. Teague has played 5 minutes and change or less more than 50% of the games this season. There is no way a young player like Teague is going to get comfortable and be ready without a consistent role like Collison has had.

I think I would rather sink or swim with Teague. Give the kid some consistent minutes and see what happens. He can do things that few PGs can do...........like defend the rim on the fast break.

Anthony Johnson cannot guard the quick PGs in this league so I'm not sure how he would help us at all............too bad Teague does not have a quick PG to defend in practice to help him improve his perimeter defense.

The schedule is about to lighten up so hopefully Teague will get more consistent play.

Check out the consistent minutes Collison has been given to develop. After getting junk minutes early in the year, he has gotten a consistent 18 minutes +/- every game despite playing behind the best PG in the entire league (for the year he is averaging 15.5 mpg versus 8.7 for Teague). He has had a consistent role and has played a LOT of minutes with the team's top froncourt guys in West, Okafor, and Posey/Peja (in constrast to Teague who usually plays with 1 or none of our best starters JJ, Josh and Al).

Just like most of the fans expected anyway. Even if he's Chris Paul in his rookie year, Woody wouldn't play him but a minimal amount of minutes.

Collison was the most NBA-ready of any of the PG's drafted. In fact, he was the most NBA-ready last year.

Great point.

I still don't get the Teague love affair though. He is no doubt the most athletic PG we've had here since Speedy. But just because he can dunk when having a clear path to the basket, or chase people down and block a shot, doesn't mean that he's ready to assume a role like Collison has. How about Teague actually doing some point guard-like things, like being able to get to the rim in traffic and finish, or make an 18 foot jumper?

Guys like Collison and Lawson were much better PGs than Teague was in college. I do think that if something happened to Bibby, which forced Woody to think about starting Teague, that he wouldn't be as bad as he looks right now. With more time, he'd be able to make more plays. Unfortunately, with more time, he'd also make more mistakes.

If we were 16 - 30, there would be no doubt that Teague would be our starting PG here. But it's hard to overlook the fact that even in limited time, he's shooting 35% FG. LOL . . you can't have that out of your PG, on any level of basketball. Woody is doing right by letting that dude learn on the sideline. If Bibby keeps playing inconsistent ball though, Woody's hand may be forced anyway.

• Premium Member

Great point.

I still don't get the Teague love affair though. He is no doubt the most athletic PG we've had here since Speedy. But just because he can dunk when having a clear path to the basket, or chase people down and block a shot, doesn't mean that he's ready to assume a role like Collison has. How about Teague actually doing some point guard-like things, like being able to get to the rim in traffic and finish, or make an 18 foot jumper?

Guys like Collison and Lawson were much better PGs than Teague was in college. I do think that if something happened to Bibby, which forced Woody to think about starting Teague, that he wouldn't be as bad as he looks right now. With more time, he'd be able to make more plays. Unfortunately, with more time, he'd also make more mistakes.

If we were 16 - 30, there would be no doubt that Teague would be our starting PG here. But it's hard to overlook the fact that even in limited time, he's shooting 35% FG. LOL . . you can't have that out of your PG, on any level of basketball. Woody is doing right by letting that dude learn on the sideline. If Bibby keeps playing inconsistent ball though, Woody's hand may be forced anyway.

What are you talking about? No one is saying Teague should start, you are the one who just brings it up. We are saying he should be getting minutes, consistent minutes. Ya know Just like EVERY SINGLE OTHER PG TAKEN IN THIS YEARS DRAFT!. Teague is on another universe as far as defense goes compared to Bibby, and could probably have a decent impact if he didn't get chewed out and taken out of the game after every single turnover or missed assignment. There is no reason not to give him minutes, ESPECIALLY when taking into account that Bibby has been pretty consistently terrible the last month and a half of the season. The worse Bibby plays, the less minutes Teague gets... How the heck does that make sense.

If he isn't ready to help a playoff team then he isn't ready to help a playoff team. Woodson has earned the benefit of the doubt on young guards- when he doesn't play them its not like they have blossomed after they moved on.

Rodrigue Beaubois has been far better than teague and he can't get consistent minutes because he is on a team with bigger goals.

Edited by spotatl

If he isn't ready to help a playoff team then he isn't ready to help a playoff team. Woodson has earned the benefit of the doubt on young guards- when he doesn't play them its not like they have blossomed after they moved on.

Rodrigue Beaubois has been far better than teague and he can't get consistent minutes because he is on a team with bigger goals.

Terrible example. They have a stll-has-it Jason Kidd manning the point for them.

We have a rapidly aging Bibby who is playing worse as the months go by.

Terrible example.

The last time the Hawks won the young point guard lottery was with Mookie Blaylock, and we even had to trade rumeal robinson to get him. I think the only way we will continue our success after this season is if we sign a legit up and coming young pg or a solid veteran like Bibby again. I don't think Teague is the answer. Let's not forget that while Bibby may be showing signs of the downside of his career, he was the guy who really helped glue this team together a couple years ago and lift us up from the pit of eastern conference losers.

Collison was the most NBA-ready of any of the PG's drafted. In fact, he was the most NBA-ready last year.

Precisely, Collison was a great PG in his 4 years at UCLA but was considered to be not much more than a solid backup at the next level. Teague was looked at as a guard that had much better upside to be a solid starter if not star at the next level due to his physical abilities. Given that Bibby was a free agent at the time and not even taking his age into account, a heir apparent seemed like a much more logical choice at that draft position than a +backup.

Uhhh... Beaubois is sitting so that superstar future hall of famer JJ Barea can play 22 minutes a game. Maybe you should do a little more research before you say something is a terrible example.

LOL. You were, in a way, comparing their point guard situation to our point guard situation here. Maybe you need to develop better reading comprehension skills before you spout off at the mouth.

I've seen some of Collison's games as a rookie. In the beginning he looked so lost and only recently he has started gaining confidence. However saying that, I think that Teague has the most potential out of this whole rookie class to be a great pg because of his athleticism and finishing skills.

I think Teague would be ok if he got consistent minutes a game, most every game (like 12 or so). Unfortunately, I don't believe this will happen until next year when we will have little choice but to. By then, he will not have gained the confidence and mastery necessary to be able to take the PG reigns from Bibby (who is clearly aging and is a sieve on defense). He will be making some of mistakes he should have been making this year as a rookie.

That being said, dude does need to work on his jump shot. I believe the finishing in the lane will come in time.

• Moderators

Not getting Lawson hurt, no doubt. As anyone who was chatting during the draft last year remembers, I was pretty beside myself that Minnesota drafted and traded him to Denver.

Still, Teague isn't gong to develop unless he gets a consistent role on the team. That role shouldn't be as our starting PG. It should be as a backup point who gets consistent minutes and some limited time with the starters. If we aren't trading for an Anthony Johnson type (by that I mean a vet who has enough game to be serviceable), then we MUST develop Teague more than we are now or it is going to bite us.

Once again- in the past when Woodson has sat young guards there was always the question of whether Woodson was not being open or whether they simply weren't good enough to help the team. People bitched and moaned about Salim not playing- but now he is fully out of the league because no one else thinks he is good enough either. Acie Law people complained bitterly about- but he didn't even get his 4th year team option picked up once he moved on and now on his third team he is still a benchwarmer. Woodson has earned the benefit of the doubt for me- if he doesn't think that Teague is ready to help a team then I have no reason to doubt him. Teagues putrid shooting sure doesn't give me any reason to question it.