• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why can't we have offense like that?

jerrywest

The conversation is about what options the Hawks have beyond Joe and Crawford.

I think this thread is about coming up with a more flexible 1/2 court scheme similar to the Celtics when ISO JJ and Craw is shut down. Their scheme never ignores their two best scorers so why in the world would you want us to? Self defeating in a big way IMO.

I wonder if Phil Jackson ever says "Kobe its not working against so and so, take the night off because we are going to ignore you this game"? If you cannot add to it or think its not possible so be it.

Edited by Buzzard

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... The major complaint about the hawks against the magic is that they end up shooting too many jumpshots....

Well actually..that's what we do. We are a perimeter oriented team. We go 6-9 1/2 - 6-8 - 6-8 on the back line....height-wise we are like Missouri State. Now we are very good as far as skill and jumping/rebounding. We have some of the best short bigs in the league.

Edited by DJlaysitup

The problem for the Hawks is that the guy best suited to exploiting defenses for helping is JJ- but he is also the person best suited to draw a double and find the open guy. Crawford can command a double but he isn't great about finding the open guy. Though the offense has taken a huge step forward by having Crawford on the team. If the Hawks had someone else who could command a double then the Hawks offense would be less predictable- but thats a roster issue.

And when teams are willing to zone up inside I still don't see what you think they should be doing differently to break that. To me its penetration from the outside and either drawing contact or passing to the guy that the help defender was guarding. You guys are all concerned that the offense isn't pretty enough but you are very short on ideas on what to do differently.

At the core of all offense is creating a mismatch that the defense has to help with which creates other openings. In my opinion Joe and Crawford are the only guys who can consistently draw a doubleteam and find the open guy so it makes perfect sense to me that the offense runs through them. I still say that when the offense bogs down its not because the offense is going through these guys- its when they decide to try and score through the double rather than passing to the open guy and letting the other players exploit a defense in motion.

Edited by spotatl