• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Open Letter to Sund: Package Marvin and 1st

frankthetank966

After tonight's loss it is pretty evident this team is no better than they were last year without Crawford. They were sloppy and inconsistent tonight. Turnover after turnover, missed layup after missed layup and Joe continued to force shots.

We cannot rely on Marvin Williams. Although he has slowly improved the last few weeks, it's time to ship him out of town. I am not only talking about the present, but a trade dealing Marvin could benefit the future. My issue with Marvin is he will come up with a great dunk but can't finish a silly layup or banks a 3pt shot and misses wide right. There are some going to be some great names on the market this year including Caron Butler. He is rumored to included in a potential 3 way deal with the Knicks and Raptors, but I really think Sund should get involved and land him.

We cannot rely on Marvin in the starting lineup for the future of this team. He is no capable of keeping up with top tier SF's.

• Like 1

With Jamal Crawford hurt and Bibby struggling, Marvin had an opportunity to play a full game and have an impact. However, Marvin makes a few nice plays and disappears during a critical stretch in the fourth quarter as Miami wins by 18.

The Hawks can't count on Marvin and tonight's loss prior to the trade deadline should be a WAKE-UP CALL for GM SUND.

During a sequence in the 4th quarter, Marvin shoots a 3 that hits the side of the backboard and moments later cannot get a score or foul standing directly in front of the basket with the ball. And Joe did nothing to show any leadership whatsoever again when we needed our, ahem, star, player to step up and get some points. It cannot be understated how valuable Crawford is to this team. Why can't we just finally move on from another drafting mistake like we did with Shelden. Just find someone who still looks at Marvin on paper and thinks they can find a place for him to develop on their team and let's move on. Please for god's sake let's close the chapter on Marvin Williams as a hawk! Somebody start trade MarvinWilliams.com!

• Premium Member

When in doubt blame Marvin, LOL. This board is hilarious.

Let's see:

JJ recovering from flu

Zaza out

Crawford out

Road game

2nd night of back-to-back

Last game before All-Star Break

Bench outscored 45-8

But, of course, the brilliant minds on this board need their scapegoat.

I do understand. They haven't had an opportunity to bash Marvin in well over a week, so some things had been stored up.

• Like 2

I dont think Marvin is to blame for this team worse although he could play better . I would just love to see him play with some intensity.

However as far as his contract Sund may have screwed the pooch on this one . With JJs status and the impending free agent market we knew there would be deals to be made so I wouldve had to consider offering Marvin a one year deal . I know he was a RFA and couldve just signed the tender but I wouldve offered him a little bit more than tender but wouldve kept him out of BYC status and made him a nice expiring right about now . With the chips that are out there dangling right now we could be prepared to be swinging for the fences this next week . Kaman,Biedrens,Camby,Prince,...

But since we signed him longterm and hes now BYC hes only worth half of his salary this year pretty much in a trade so we would have to add something else to make it work and we dont have it .

Y'all Marvin supporters are unbelievable! His is by far the weakest link in the starting lineup. It is not surprising that his minutes and his numbers are down. For all the money he is making he is doing no more than we could get from Mo Evans. We need to move him now while he is young and GMs believe that he has some growth. We should move Marvin, Bibby and a first to LA for Baron Davis. We don't need that first round pick and we'd take care of two weaknesses in one swoop. Davis doesn't play much defense but he has got to be better than Bibby and we all know he can penetrate.

• Premium Member

It is not surprising that his minutes and his numbers are down.

His minutes and number are down because of the acquisition of Jamal Crawford. I know you're smart enough to make that connection, JB.

What's more, his per possession numbers are comparable to his career numbers, with one NOTICEABLE difference - his usage is lower than in his rookie season. You are right that the Hawks could get similar offensive numbers from Mo Evans in that same "always hand the ball back to JJ/Jamal" offense. Defense is another matter...

Marvin Williams is what he is. How he manages to get so much attention around here 5 years after the draft fiasco is an indictment of "the NBA intelligence" of many Hawks' fans.

His minutes and number are down because of the acquisition of Jamal Crawford. I know you're smart enough to make that connection, JB.

What's more, his per possession numbers are comparable to his career numbers, with one NOTICEABLE difference - his usage is lower than in his rookie season. You are right that the Hawks could get similar offensive numbers from Mo Evans in that same "always hand the ball back to JJ/Jamal" offense. Defense is another matter...

Marvin Williams is what he is. How he manages to get so much attention around here 5 years after the draft fiasco is an indictment of "the NBA intelligence" of many Hawks' fans.

And you are smart enough to know that Crawford mostly eats Bibby's minutes and not Marvin's. If Marvin was effective, he'd get more playing time.

• Premium Member

I'd like to first say that I'm not a Marv hater. Not at all. I think Marvin, for whatever reason, just isn't stepping up as opposed to him not being able to step up. I've seen him make enough jumpers and plays in the lane to know that the latter is not the case. Either way, he's the key (or at least his slot is the key) to taking this thing to the next level. They are not paying attention to him on defense and he has GOT to hit that open 3, midrange, or penetration.

It's silly to blame the loss on him tonight though. JJ was off and we got nothing out of the bench. We missed Crawford pretty bad.

Trading for Baron Davis would be the end of this team. An overrated, score first PG who shoots threes even though he can't hit them? You've got to be kidding me. Baron was 1-12 for 5 last night against a terrible defensive team in GS, he got embarrassed by everyone on the court.

GTFO.

• Premium Member

And you are smart enough to know that Crawford mostly eats Bibby's minutes and not Marvin's. If Marvin was effective, he'd get more playing time.

And I suppose it's the invisible monster eating Evans' minutes then. LOL.

Marvin is getting 30 min/game. That would be an indication of production, if you ask me.

With Jamal Crawford hurt and Bibby struggling, Marvin had an opportunity to play a full game and have an impact. However, Marvin makes a few nice plays and disappears during a critical stretch in the fourth quarter as Miami wins by 18.

The Hawks can't count on Marvin and tonight's loss prior to the trade deadline should be a WAKE-UP CALL for GM SUND.

Pretty much what I was also thinking. Great way of summing it up.

Pretty much what I was also thinking. Great way of summing it up.

I think this is a better summary.

Marvin cannot be counted on to be our primary scorer or 2nd offensive option.

Marvin can be counted on to play a essential team role, defense, and rebounding.

Marvin is what he is. He is a solid role play but not a star or primary offensive option. He is best offensively when he plays of others and is not the focal point.

You guys make him out to be chopped liver. Another former #2 pick was also off in that same game (Beasley).

Last night, Beasley was 3-11 just like Marvin, and was so bad when he was on the court that he barely got any PT. I hope Miami hates Beasley as much as some of you hate Marvin

Beasley at least has the excuse of being a lot younger. Not that that is an excuse. Both have severely underplayed their draft position.

Marvin is the second coming of Derrick McKey. Flashes of brillance but mostly invisible.

As a whole, the Hawks are still vastly exceeding my expectations.