• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Merged: We are in the running for Big Z

mrhonline

Straight from Big Z's agent:

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/02/18/atlanta-hawks-to-be-among-ilgauskas-suitors-if-hes-bought-out-by-wizards/

Herb Rudoy, Ilgauskas’ agent, said today he hadn’t yet spoken to the Wizards about a buyout. Rudoy said Ilgauskas is taking a few days to think about his future but that the Hawks fit the criteria Ilgauskas would be looking for in a new team.

“If he decides to leave Cleveland, once he gets the buyout–and we hope we will have several options–he will only go to a team that can win a championship, period,” Rudoy said. “He will not be on a team that has no chance. He wants to play for one of the top teams, and Atlanta certainly is one of those teams.”

Rudoy said “a lot of teams are very interested in him” but declined to name the suitors. The Dallas Mavericks and Denver Nuggets are also reported to be interested in Ilgauskas.

Its nice that his agent named the Hawks as a elite team.

Edited by coachx

Sham has a list of all the teams with their available exceptions and there's quite a few with the full MLE available.

http://www.shamsport.../exceptions.jsp

The only teams I could see being in contention for Big Z with us that have their full MLE would be:

Charlotte

Chicago

Heat

Knicks

Oklahoma City (maybe)

Philly

Utah

If I were a player, the Hawks would definitely be the most intriguing to me as far as teams that can offer the MLE. Utah and OKC are the only really true "contenders."

There are a few things about this that would be epic for the Hawks.

First...you can start Z...move Horf to PF and Josh to SF. Because Z can step out and hit from the outside, it allows us to let Z handle the inside, out requirements of a SF.

Second, Marvin goes to the bench and the bench scoring greatly improves. Marvin is not fighting for touches and is freelancing against inferior talent.

Third - We get someone who can guard Dwight Howard. No one can guard Howard one on one really but Z's length takes away the hooks and posts moves greatly limiting him.

Fourth - Z and Horf's ability to both step away and hit the jumper opens up the lane for people driving to the basket.

We have a MLE available which means we can offer as much as anyone or more. Also remember there will be a few more players bought out (like Gooden). We can split the MLE as we have 2 roster spots available.

First...you can start Z...move Horf to PF and Josh to SF. Because Z can step out and hit from the outside, it allows us to let Z handle the inside, out requirements of a SF.

Second, Marvin goes to the bench and the bench scoring greatly improves. Marvin is not fighting for touches and is freelancing against inferior talent.

Third - We get someone who can guard Dwight Howard. No one can guard Howard one on one really but Z's length takes away the hooks and posts moves greatly limiting him.

Fourth - Z and Horf's ability to both step away and hit the jumper opens up the lane for people driving to the basket.

We have a MLE available which means we can offer as much as anyone or more. Also remember there will be a few more players bought out (like Gooden). We can split the MLE as we have 2 roster spots available.

LOL let's not get too crazy now. Josh Smith is NOT a small forward. Never was never will be. It would def give us more size though in our rotation when either Al or Josh are on the bench. Horford could play the 4 alongside Big Z. But it will be Marvin/Mo Evans in at the 3 not Smoove.

I'd love to have both Big Z's. No offense to Jason Collins but what an upgrade if we could replace him with Big Z.

Horford and Zaza, call Z make it happen. We can play Zaza and Z, as well as Joe Smith off the bench. :-). We are not benching anyone in our starting lineup. Smith is not a 3. Horford is a PF but we need him to start with Smoove in the post. Marvin defense is why he's important in the starting five. Z can play 15-25 mins. We do not have a post player off the bench who can do that this season.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

LOL let's not get too crazy now. Josh Smith is NOT a small forward. Never was never will be. It would def give us more size though in our rotation when either Al or Josh are on the bench. Horford could play the 4 alongside Big Z. But it will be Marvin/Mo Evans in at the 3 not Smoove.

I'd love to have both Big Z's. No offense to Jason Collins but what an upgrade if we could replace him with Big Z.

Collins has been trash for us. He's on his last leg and needs to go.

You could definitely go big for short spurts with Crawford/JJ/Smith/Horford/Z.

Not gonna get my hopes up, though.

Maybe v. Orl or Cle at times, it's not a bad idea. You do not start with that though.

BTW, the Wizards were able to get under the luxury tax WITHOUT buying out Ilgauskas.

Unless they're just really nice, they don't have any real incentive to let him go unless he agrees to give money back.

Honestly, this is so true. Washington might do that especially with the Gilbert Arenas situation and the fact that they have to buyout his contract.

This sounds like all of the hype concerning the Joe Smith signing.

Honestly, the last thing we need on this team, is another jumpshooter . . . especially not a jumpshooting big who is going to be away from the basket and not be able to get offensive rebounds.

And it's not like this dude is going to get more than 5 shots a night with the Hawks, not when you have Crawford leading the 2nd unit. And like I said in the other thread, his shooting this year on his jumpshots is no better than Marvin's. S if you hate Marvin, you'll end up hating Z.

Is Big Z better than Zaza? Yeah. So which big do you sit? Zaza or Joe Smith? Because if we pick up Big Z, you may as well make hin the first big man off the bench. I said before the season that we shouldn't give Joe Smith more than 10 min a game. In Big Z's case, no way should he play over 15 min, if we acqired him.

Not a move to act like it's going to put us over the top IMO. If we get him, I hope he proves me wrong. Joe Smith definitely didn't.

On second glance, it appears that Z's contract required him to already be paid most of his salary already. Plus, he just received $1.7M as a trade bonus.

He'll be bought out and re-sign in Cleveland for the minimum, IMHO.

Damn, I hope he signs with us for more money and more PT.

OT: I was just thinking how bad Joe with Lebron will suck for the rest of the league since the Knicks cleared the space for two max players. That's like MJ/Pippen plus Gallo at 3.

Sergio

JJ

Gallo

Bron- Play PG on offense.

Curry

Edited by nbasuperstar40

good post. If we need to keep Smoove inside, Horf is quick enough to stay with most small forwards and beyond.