• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Salary Cap Question

georgiaheel

If a team loses a free agent , or cuts or does not resign a player with an expiring contract like the Knicks are apparently going to do with Mccrady, does that give them any additional cap room or merely reduce the teams salary obligations. I always thought it was the latter but the knicks seem to be getting more relief from their expiring contracts than I would have thought. In our case for instance would losing JJ after this year only take his salary off the books or could we resign someone using the 14 or so million we paid him this year. I believe if we sign and trade we can use that salary but I am talking about an outright release or loss in free agency.

I think we will have 10 mil but no where near max. I know Evans, Horford, and Craw are FA's in 2011 so we will have max $$$ in 2011.

I'll give you a brief run down. There are other guys on here that can get more in depth on this then me.

Even if the Hawks let JJ walk in free agency, they will still be over the salary cap and will have nothing but the MLE (mid-level exception) of around $5.2 mill to spend on FAs. Of course teams can alwayse sign players to the veterans minimum, like we did with Joe Smith and Jason Collins, without using the MLE.

Teams can only go over the salary cap to resign their own players. That is why we can offer $17 mill to JJ but not James, Bosh, or Wade. Only teams under the salary cap can offer contracts to other teams free agents. Teams with enough room under the salary cap to sign 1 or more max free agents include:

Knicks

Nets

Bulls

Heat

Clippers

T-Wolves

Kings

Wizards

Those are the teams that can sign JJ away from us, IF JJ chooses to leave us . I imagine the ASG ownership will allow Rick Sund to offer JJ just as much as any of these teams. Its just up to JJ where he wants to play.

The luxury tax limit is $69.9 mill...........the salary cap is some where around $54 mill. The Hawks team salary is right at $65 mill right now. Even if we renounce JJ we would have Chillz cap hold, cap holds for our draft picks, and cap holds for each empty roster spot. In other words.........even if JJ signs with another team and his $14.8 mill falls off the books, the Hawks still would not be under the salary cap. (Its not quite as simple as just doing ($65 mill - $14.8 mill ) to get next years salary number. Cap holds must also be figured for teams restricted free agents, players they hold rights to like Josh Childress, draft picks, and empty roster spots.

That is why GMs are paid the big bucks. Managing an NBA team is far more complicated then video game franchise modes make them out to be. Its not just about scouting basketball talent but also managing the salary cap and luxury tax.

Again.........I'm no expert on this stuff but that is a quick summary.

Edited by coachx

I'll give you a brief run down. There are other guys on here that can get more in depth on this then me.

Even if the Hawks let JJ walk in free agency, they will still be over the salary cap and will have nothing but the MLE (mid-level exception) of around $5.2 mill to spend on FAs. Of course teams can alwayse sign players to the veterans minimum, like we did with Joe Smith and Jason Collins, without using the MLE.

Teams can only go over the salary cap to resign their own players. That is why we can offer $17 mill to JJ but not James, Bosh, or Wade. Only teams under the salary cap can offer contracts to other teams free agents. Teams with enough room under the salary cap to sign 1 or more max free agents include:

Knicks

Nets

Bulls

Heat

Clippers

T-Wolves

Kings

Wizards

Those are the teams that can sign JJ away from us, IF JJ chooses to leave us . I imagine the ASG ownership will allow Rick Sund to offer JJ just as much as any of these teams. Its just up to JJ where he wants to play.

The luxury tax limit is $69.9 mill...........the salary cap is some where around $54 mill. The Hawks team salary is right at $65 mill right now. Even if we renounce JJ we would have Chillz cap hold, cap holds for our draft picks, and cap holds for each empty roster spot. In other words.........even if JJ signs with another team and his $14.8 mill falls off the books, the Hawks still would not be under the salary cap. (Its not quite as simple as just doing ($65 mill - $14.8 mill ) to get next years salary number. Cap holds must also be figured for teams restricted free agents, players they hold rights to like Josh Childress, draft picks, and empty roster spots.

That is why GMs are paid the big bucks. Managing an NBA team is far more complicated then video game franchise modes make them out to be. Its not just about scouting basketball talent but also managing the salary cap and luxury tax.

Childress cap hold is around 10 mil. You are right, it's not as difficult if that's your job, but if your focused on other things in life like most of us. You can easily become confused.

Teams can only go over the salary cap to resign their own players.

Just to add, "if they hold Bird Rights". Other than that everything looks good. The CBA is a complicated beast, and it can be very hard to explain in a concise manner. This post did a good job though.

Knicks

Nets

Bulls

Heat

Clippers

T-Wolves

Kings

Wizards

Let's tackle that thing with Chillz a second. Can we do a sign and trade with Chillz after the season to get back his cap hold for something useful? That's a wildcard for us I dont' think we're looking at.

• Moderators

Let's tackle that thing with Chillz a second. Can we do a sign and trade with Chillz after the season to get back his cap hold for something useful? That's a wildcard for us I dont' think we're looking at.

My understanding is that we can sign and trade him while he has the option to opt out of his Greek deal this summer. Of course, with the need to resign JJ and Horford it seems unlikely we would be willing to add that salary.

Edited by AHF