• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Thinking of Chillz

Swatguy

• Premium Member

Uh oh . . . you guys have gotten Ex started on Chillz.

He would be great on this squad, because you then have another legit player to bring off the bench with Crawford. At that point, all we would need is for either Zaza or Joe Smith to give the team consistent play, and we'd be set.

But Chillz as a defender? Ummmm . . . no.

Chillz was an energy guy. An offensive rebouding "monster" for a guy who played SF and didn't have any plays called for him. But seeing that our weakness is actually defensive rebounding, I don't know how much he would help in that area.

Would love to have him on this team though.

Our weakness is smart basketball play.

Either way you want to look at it, Chillz Skillset is much better than what we have at Sf now. All the while Chillz was out playing Marvin and outproducing Marvin people said " Marvin has potential". It's year 5 in the Marvin project and as I like to say, Marvin is what I thought he was. Lazy and Complacent. Whereas Chillz is still a hard worker who plays Smart.

You can't blame that breakdown against GS on defensive rebounding. That was a shot selection problem. Most of our losses go the same way. We're dominating, we start shooting really badly and we give up the game in the 4th... And you're saying that we can't use a guy who shot 52% from the field the last time he was here. He played Smart basketball and never needed a play called for him to be productive. Come on, get beyond Ex's hate for Chillz and get beyond his shooting mechanics. Look at what is really there. He's a better fit for us. (PERIOD).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way you want to look at it, Chillz Skillset is much better than what we have at Sf now. All the while Chillz was out playing Marvin and outproducing Marvin people said " Marvin has potential". It's year 5 in the Marvin project and as I like to say, Marvin is what I thought he was. Lazy and Complacent. Whereas Chillz is still a hard worker who plays Smart.

You can't blame that breakdown against GS on defensive rebounding. That was a shot selection problem. Most of our losses go the same way. We're dominating, we start shooting really badly and we give up the game in the 4th... And you're saying that we can't use a guy who shot 52% from the field the last time he was here. He played Smart basketball and never needed a play called for him to be productive. Come on, get beyond Ex's hate for Chillz and get beyond his shooting mechanics. Look at what is really there. He's a better fit for us. (PERIOD).

Did you read my entire quote? I'd LOVE to have Chill on this squad right now. I didn't have a problem with Chill as a player. He's an energy guy. Yeah, he would disappear at times, but he was liable to come up big time as well. The luxury of being able to go with a Crawford - Evans - Chill lineup with the 2nd unit, would be great for this team.

But I guess you'd want to start him over Marvin. I wouldn't have a problem with that either. Marvin's advantage was that he could hit the midrange jumper with more consistency than Chill could. But with Marvin's shot being off, I wouldn't have a problem at all with Chill starting.

Childress play smart? he had more late game brain farts than Smith easily. Not to mention he didn't outproduce Marvin. His highest scoring average in a Hawks uni was 13 ppg. Plus he was a choker at the line in the 4th quarter.

Then there is the issues of money and minutes. Childress won't get either.

Edited by exodus

• Moderators

Childress play smart? he had more late game brain farts than Smith easily. Not to mention he didn't outproduce Marvin. His highest scoring average in a Hawks uni was 13 ppg. Plus he was a choker at the line in the 4th quarter.

Hmm. Marvin scoring average this year is 10. I'd say Marvin is essentially playing a similar role this year as Chill was even though Marvin is still starting.

• Premium Member

Chillz was coming off the bench.

Marvin is starting NOW and averages LESS than Chillz did as a BU.

Childress Efficiency speaks volumes about his smart play.

The fact that he could put the ball on the floor without tripping on his feet speaks volumes.

The fact that he knew how to score without having plays drawn up for him speaks volumes.

The fact that he could put the ball on the floor without tripping on his feet speaks volumes.

The fact that he knew how to score without having plays drawn up for him speaks volumes.

I want my Chillz back!

Childress Efficiency speaks volumes about his smart play.The fact that he could put the ball on the floor without tripping on his feet speaks volumes.

LOL @ bringing up efficiency. Do you really want me to pull your posts from last summer when you were saying that ppg mattered and efficiency didn't?

Childress scoring efficiency had nothing to do with smarts and everything to do with his inability to score outside 5 feet.

The Hawks never had a second scorer like Crawford when Childress was here and he still couldn't score more than Marvin.

• Premium Member

The Hawks never had a second scorer like Crawford when Childress was here and he still couldn't score more than Marvin.

I find this funny.

You talk about Chillz being an inadequate scorer although he scored more than Marvin is scoring now... but let's ask the question.. if Atlanta didn't have a scorer the likes of Craw who can create scoring opportunities for others... do you think that would hurt Chillz' game?

Marvin should eb the man when it comes to scoring playing next to Joe and Craw. Marvin's game is based on what everybody else can create for him. Hence, my point in the other post... things you won't see Marvin do.

However, Chillz if he were here and Marvin were not.. He'd probably be shooting somewhere around 70% and our offense would be top 2 in FG%.

I find this funny.

You talk about Chillz being an inadequate scorer although he scored more than Marvin is scoring now... but let's ask the question.. if Atlanta didn't have a scorer the likes of Craw who can create scoring opportunities for others... do you think that would hurt Chillz' game?

Josh Smith averages far more assists than Crawford. Crawford creates for himself. Try again.

Marvin should eb the man when it comes to scoring playing next to Joe and Craw. Marvin's game is based on what everybody else can create for him. .

Childress was even more dependent on others. He couldn't create at all for himself unless you consider a putback creating.

Childress excelled at getting his points without taking away from his teammate's shot opportunities. He was not that good of a defender, he tended to be too slow or too small depending on who he was assigned to. Also, does anyone remember his bad feet? He spent a fair amount of time in street clothes while he was here.

Chillz > Marvin

Childress excelled at getting his points without taking away from his teammate's shot opportunities. He was not that good of a defender, he tended to be too slow or too small depending on who he was assigned to. Also, does anyone remember his bad feet? He spent a fair amount of time in street clothes while he was here.

Yeah it is funny how Diesel talks about how we dodged a bulled by not drafting Roy but forgets all about Childress' foot problems.

• Premium Member

Great defender? He was slow, weak and liked to leak out early. His defense was a total liability.

When you say slow I hope you mean slower than a snail. Chill is the slowest two guard I've ever seen in the NBA. He might be the slowest guard period I've ever seen.

• Moderators

Childress was a solid player here but I think some are romanticizing him a bit.

His biggest pluses: (1) offensive rebounding, (2) effort and energy on the floor, (3) slashing to the hoop both with the ball and off the ball; (4) hitting wide, wide open 3's; and (5) good shot selection to stick to high % shots.

His biggest negatives: (1) inability to stretch defenses; (2) cheating on defensive responsibilities to hit the offensive boards and leak out for easy baskets; (3) defensive rebounding; and (4) slow and low jumper leading to trouble beating a defender playing man defense on him.

His biggest pluses: (1) offensive rebounding, (2) effort and energy on the floor, (3) slashing to the hoop both with the ball and off the ball; (4) hitting wide, wide open 3's; and (5) good shot selection to stick to high % shots.

His biggest negatives: (1) inability to stretch defenses; (2) cheating on defensive responsibilities to hit the offensive boards and leak out for easy baskets; (3) defensive rebounding; and (4) slow and low jumper leading to trouble beating a defender playing man defense on him.

I would definitely add man D to his list of weaknesses.

Chills was a great role player, i loved his game and miss his presence on our team, that said, he isnt all the things ppl are claiming he was. He didnt have a jumper at all, thats the main reason he was benched in favor of marv. He was great cleaning up the glass and hustling, something we need more of.

• Premium Member

Always with the fair and unbiased opinion AHF go%20ahead.gif And I concur, but I'd just like to throw my $0.02 in here... First, I defended Chill from day one and understand what he brings to the team. Which brings up point two: his biggest pluses that you mention are exactly what would make him a perfect fit at the starting 3 now. Yes, his shot was/is ugly....but he hit it when we needed it. This is my biggest problem with Marvin now. A) he just drifts around aimlessly out there and when he does get the opportunity he's not hitting that shot (or layup) when it counts. He used to be very good at hitting the hook in the lane, hitting the midrange, and knocking down the 3. The only thing I see him really doing (when it counts) is getting to the free throw line - which he's always been able to do.

But I digress on Marvin here, the point is Chill. He'd only be an asset to this squad right now and I agree with your opinion on him. I don't know about people romanticizing so much though. If anyone was a victim of the system here it was him. Of all the guys that have come in over the past 6-7 years, Chill is the one who TRULY deserved more attention and yet, when he worked his butt off, fought for everything he got, and made the most out of coming off the bench, he inherited the label of "garbageman."

Honestly, I think he's going to surprise some people when he gets back to the NBA and we will wish we had him.

• Premium Member

http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame/report?gamenumber=14&gamecode=151&phasetypecode=TS

^^^Some highlights of Childress' game vs. Cibona today. Skip to ~1:45 to see Childress get pushed out of the post by his own teammate. Funny.

I swear Kleiza looks more like a PF now than he did in Denver.