• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Thinking of Chillz

Swatguy

http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame/report?gamenumber=14&gamecode=151&phasetypecode=TS

^^^Some highlights of Childress' game vs. Cibona today. Skip to ~1:45 to see Childress get pushed out of the post by his own teammate. Funny.

I swear Kleiza looks more like a PF now than he did in Denver.

That is because he isn't playing with Nene, KMart and Najera.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

On the "who starts" issue some have raised, I just wanted to add that I think that this is a bit of a red herring.

Childress averaged 31.3 mpg during his time with the Hawks. Marvin has averaged 31.4 mpg.

Both guys received good, consistent playing time every season.

• Premium Member

On the "who starts" issue some have raised, I just wanted to add that I think that this is a bit of a red herring.

Childress averaged 31.3 mpg during his time with the Hawks. Marvin has averaged 31.4 mpg.

Both guys received good, consistent playing time every season.

Come on AHF, you know, it's a big difference starting than it is coming off the bench. First off, rotation wise, when you come off the bench, you are usually paired with lesser talents.

The one thing about Chillz though is that he could finish a game. Marvin can't. If you can find Marvin in the 4th quarter, let me know.

Still, it takes a different mindstate to come into a game when all the starters are tired. You have to bring your own energy. Chillz did it, but it's not his first thing.

Come on AHF, you know, it's a big difference starting than it is coming off the bench. First off, rotation wise, when you come off the bench, you are usually paired with lesser talents.

The one thing about Chillz though is that he could finish a game. Marvin can't. If you can find Marvin in the 4th quarter, let me know.

Still, it takes a different mindstate to come into a game when all the starters are tired. You have to bring your own energy. Chillz did it, but it's not his first thing.

Coming off the bench sure has hurt Crawford's game, hasnt it?

• Premium Member

Coming off the bench sure has hurt Crawford's game, hasnt it?

Crawford is a shoot first guard. He will not lose that much coming off the bench.

Are you trying to say that you deny anything I said?

Put it on the table if you are... if not......why argue against the truth?

Crawford is a shoot first guard. He will not lose that much coming off the bench.

Are you trying to say that you deny anything I said?

Put it on the table if you are... if not......why argue against the truth?

It is easier to get shots playing with bench players. That is just basic common sense. you won't get as many shots playing with the teams best scorers. If Marvin came off the bench now and Crawford started Marvin would surely get more shots.

Marvin or Childress, Marvin or Childress. Which one would I start????

Where's the button for NONE OF THE ABOVE???

Some folks are hyping up Childress as if he was hanging Crawford stats when he was last in town. He was a good rebounder and slasher who would leak out and cherry-pick easy baskets. I certainly don't remember this good/great defender that folks are talking about. And as far as bringing energy, that's what the Mo Evanses of the world are for, not high-lottery picks.

All I remember about Childress is a guy who couldn't catch and fire with a hand in his face, even if his very life depended on it. I also remember a #6 pick being wasted, err, spent while watching Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala, Al Jefferson, and Andris Biedrins; guys who would've been far more valuable on the roster or in a trade than Childress or Williams for that matter.

If I had my way, NEITHER would have been here, let alone starting. Having Childress now wouldn't change the fact that there's not much coming from the small forward position on this team. Certainly not enough to make Labron or Rashard Lewis sweat.

• Premium Member

It is easier to get shots playing with bench players. That is just basic common sense. you won't get as many shots playing with the teams best scorers. If Marvin came off the bench now and Crawford started Marvin would surely get more shots.

But will you get easier shots?

See, Ex, you never answered my question. Do you deny anything that I have said... or are you just blowing smoke again?

• Premium Member

I don't think Childress suffered at all playing 30+ mpg primarily with the starters but not from the opening tip.

I'm just saying, Childress played with the starters in the 4th.. however, he played his share of minutes with guys like Matt Freije and Solo while some of the starters rested. I used to hate Woody's sub pattern for Chillz. He'd bring Chillz in for Joe and leave Marvin on the floor in the first quarter. Then he'd bring him back in the mid 3rd and let him play out the 4th. When he was out there with Marvin, I'm sure we had a big NEGATIVE in Pers or Rowland numbers or whatever you used... but when he was on the floor in the 4th with JJ, we were hitting on most cylinders.

Had we started and finished with Chillz, our efficiency would have been through the roof.

• Premium Member

Marvin or Childress, Marvin or Childress. Which one would I start????

Where's the button for NONE OF THE ABOVE???

Some folks are hyping up Childress as if he was hanging Crawford stats when he was last in town. He was a good rebounder and slasher who would leak out and cherry-pick easy baskets. I certainly don't remember this good/great defender that folks are talking about. And as far as bringing energy, that's what the Mo Evanses of the world are for, not high-lottery picks.

All I remember about Childress is a guy who couldn't catch and fire with a hand in his face, even if his very life depended on it. I also remember a #6 pick being wasted, err, spent while watching Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala, Al Jefferson, and Andris Biedrins; guys who would've been far more valuable on the roster or in a trade than Childress or Williams for that matter.

If I had my way, NEITHER would have been here, let alone starting. Having Childress now wouldn't change the fact that there's not much coming from the small forward position on this team. Certainly not enough to make Labron or Rashard Lewis sweat.

No Dejay.

Nobody is hyping Chillz as the next Lebron or the Next Grant Hill or the next _____________.

What I am saying.. and Many others is that Chillz would fit better than Marvin does.

We only mention it because Chillz is still under contract.

Look at the fact. Chillz was the one who could score without a play being called for him. Not only did he cherry pick but he worked the baseline in the halfcourt set.

What we have now is a guy who goes to the three point line and sits there and daydreams... Like My Cousin in outfield (when he was a child). Sadly, this has always been Marvin's MO. IN the 3rd quarter with about 8 minutes to go in the quarter, Marvin would just zone out. I don't know if the mushroom man is in the lockerroom or what... but Marvin is Mr. Invisible when it matters.

But will you get easier shots?

See, Ex, you never answered my question. Do you deny anything that I have said... or are you just blowing smoke again?

LOL what question was that? The only question i saw was would Crawford hurt Childress' game and the answer was obviously yes because he shoots so much. He isn't creating for others he is creating for himself.

You just make up some nonsense about Crawford creating for others which just isn't happening. Crawford is a distant 4th on the team in assists.

No Dejay.

Nobody is hyping Chillz as the next Lebron or the Next Grant Hill or the next _____________.

What I am saying.. and Many others is that Chillz would fit better than Marvin does.

Look at the fact. Chillz was the one who could score without a play being called for him. Not only did he cherry pick but he worked the baseline in the halfcourt set.

What we have now is a guy who goes to the three point line and sits there and daydreams... Like My Cousin in outfield (when he was a child). Sadly, this has always been Marvin's MO. IN the 3rd quarter with about 8 minutes to go in the quarter, Marvin would just zone out. I don't know if the mushroom man is in the lockerroom or what... but Marvin is Mr. Invisible when it matters.

First of all Childress isn't under contract with us. He is under contract in Greece.

Secondly Childress' inability to space the floor is a big reason why the offense is so much better without him.

Invisible when it matters? Actually he is usually on the bench when it matters in the 4th quarter. Strangely enough that has been when the Hawks have struggled to score.

Edited by exodus

No Dejay.

No, the Hawks only have NBA rights to Childress. He isn't under contract; he'd be playing here and not in Greece if he was.

And I never said that folks were comparing him to Labron or Wade, I was stating that folks were overhyping Childress as if he was such a good player when he was here. He was okay but did he do ANYTHING to merit being taken with that pick? Have Marvin? No need to respond; we already know the answer.

I'd rather say au revoir to the BOTH of them at season's end. How about getting a better spare part to play the role that Marvin has had all the opportunity to seize by now.

• Premium Member

No, the Hawks only have NBA rights to Childress. He isn't under contract; he'd be playing here and not in Greece if he was.

And I never said that folks were comparing him to Labron or Wade, I was stating that folks were overhyping Childress as if he was such a good player when he was here. He was okay but did he do ANYTHING to merit being taken with that pick? Have Marvin? No need to respond; we already know the answer.

I'd rather say au revoir to the BOTH of them at season's end. How about getting a better spare part to play the role that Marvin has had all the opportunity to seize by now.

Ok... we don't have his him under contract... we have his rights... and as long as we have his rights, we can match any offer, we can also trade those rights to another team.... we can also initiate a sign and trade of chillz... I hope you get what I was saying..... despite the misuse of the word contract.

Secondly, I don't think anybody has overhyped chillz. Chillz has his promoters and detractors. The promoters are saying that Chillz fit here and highlight his abilities. The detractors do the opposite. The truth is in the stats and on the floor.. not in the middle. Chillz was a very efficient player who choose his shots carefully on offense. He wasn't a defensive stopper but he did guard most 1,2, and 3s in our patented switch defense. Many of the detractors want to point out how 1s sometimes blew past him, however, 1s blow past everybody in our defensive schemes. Even Marvin the mushroom man. There are so many different Delonte West dunking on Marvin Williams Youtube videos... not one dunk several times. Several dunks...Yet there are people who would swear that Marv is a great defender.

The point is that watching us play is the cure to any question about how our players are. Chillz is what he is.

Does he not work the baseline on offense?

Doesn't he score without the ball or without plays drawn up for him?

Isn't he a very good offensive rebounder for his size and position?

Didn't he handle the ball as a supplemental ball handler while he was here?

Didn't he play good defense against 1, 2, and 3s while here?

Wasn't he one of the most efficient players in the league while here?

• Premium Member

First of all Childress isn't under contract with us. He is under contract in Greece.

We have his rights.

Secondly Childress' inability to space the floor is a big reason why the offense is so much better without him.

BS. We are better because we have had guys who could create their own scoring. Flip Murray and Jamal Crawford. Not to mention that Horf's game has improved... Can you say ALLSTAR? Substitute Chillz for Marvin and our offense becomes even better.

Invisible when it matters? Actually he is usually on the bench when it matters in the 4th quarter. Strangely enough that has been when the Hawks have struggled to score.

Cause and effect. Woody noticed Marvin's 2nd half snooze too. Secondly, you need to recheck your facts. Generally what happens is that from halftime to the beginning of the second half, we normally come out with a good adjustment to what went on in the first. We get a big lead, our players get loose, we lose the lead in the 4th. Sometimes, it's a bad substitution. Sometimes, it's Woody not making a 4th quarter adjustment. However, having Marvin on the floor in the fourth won't help it. Learn this statement... Regardless of one bad game out of 55... Crawford = THE DIFFERENCE. Like I said when we acquired him... when we play Bibby, Joe, and Crawford on the floor at the same time, teams have a tough time stopping us.

Edited by Diesel

Ok... we don't have his him under contract... we have his rights... and as long as we have his rights, we can match any offer, we can also trade those rights to another team....

Yet another fail from Diesel. childress' rights cannot be traded. After all these years of following the NBA you still have no clue.

BS. We are better because we have had guys who could create their own scoring. Flip Murray and Jamal Crawford. Not to mention that Horf's game has improved... Can you say ALLSTAR? Substitute Chillz for Marvin and our offense becomes even better.

those two guys replaced Childress, who can't create his own scoring.

When Childress was here the spacing sucked because Childress couldn't score from the perimeter. That made it tougher for Smith and Horford to score inside. I said at the time that getting rid of Childress would improve spacing and make it easier for Horford and Smith to score inside. That is exactly what happened.

when we play Bibby, Joe, and Crawford on the floor at the same time, teams have a tough time stopping us.

Then why have the Hawks been struggling in the 4th quarter since those are the guys who are generally on the floor in the 4th?

Edited by exodus