• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Size inside

DJlaysitup

Watching the game last night I remember posting in chat "Wow..how tall is McGhee?" The answer was "legit 7-foot".

The reason I asked the question was there was a low level shot that showed McG was almost a head taller than Horford. Holy Toledo I thought.

It made me realize that we are going up against other NBA teams with a 6-9 1/2 center, a 6-8 PF, and a 6-8 SF. Some college teams have more height than that on the average. Granted our guys are very good and usually hold their own, but that's a big dis-advantage against teams with 6-10/6-11/7 footers. Add in the long arms and about all we have going for us inside is Horford's toughness and Smoove's hops.

Inside we are kinda like a mid-major in the NCAA.

• Premium Member

Watching the game last night I remember posting in chat "Wow..how tall is McGhee?" The answer was "legit 7-foot".

The reason I asked the question was there was a low level shot that showed McG was almost a head taller than Horford. Holy Toledo I thought.

It made me realize that we are going up against other NBA teams with a 6-9 1/2 center, a 6-8 PF, and a 6-8 SF. Some college teams have more height than that on the average. Granted our guys are very good and usually hold their own, but that's a big dis-advantage against teams with 6-10/6-11/7 footers. Add in the long arms and about all we have going for us inside is Horford's toughness and Smoove's hops.

Horf has to work hard everynight.

As Dr. Hubie likes to say, He's out of position. However, he's a bruiser. It would be great if he were playing beside Dirk. But he's playing beside Smoove. They don't compliment each other, but they get by. Something has to change because this is part of our flaw.

Its not just McGee's height alone but his standing reach and wingspan. He is hust an inch taller then ZaZa but I bet his standing reach is 8'' higher and wingspan is 8'' wider.

I think we just need a guy like McGee, Heywood, or Pryzbilla to upgrade the frontcourt and take ZaZa and Joe Smith's minutes off the bench. There is an easy 30 minutes a game available for a solid center and Smoove and Horford can still get 33 mpg each. This would let Horford play PF for half the time he is on the floor.

Edited by coachx

Its not just McGee's height alone but his standing reach and wingspan. He is hust an inch taller then ZaZa but I bet his standing reach is 8'' higher and wingspan is 8'' wider.

I think we just need a guy like McGee, Heywood, or Pryzbilla to upgrade the frontcourt and take ZaZa and Joe Smith's minutes off the bench. There is an easy 30 minutes a game available for a solid center and Smoove and Horford can still get 33 mpg each. This would let Horford play PF for half the time he is on the floor.

McGee is the future along with Blanche, Arenas. That's their tandem for next season.

Arenas

Foye

Miller

Blanche

McGee

They don't compliment each other, but they get by. Something has to change because this is part of our flaw.

I agree with about everything you stated but this portion. I do think they compliment each other fairly well. I think they both do a decent job of defending their positions. I think the fact they both can handle the ball and get up and down the floor on the break makes them somewhat of a special combo. I don't think they compliment all that well in half court offense because they both need to be pretty much on the block to score. I think they would be a better combo if Josh could develop the 10-12 ft shot Horford has, but as far as 4/5 combos in the league, I think they are one of the better ones.

Horf has to work hard everynight.

As Dr. Hubie likes to say, He's out of position. However, he's a bruiser. It would be great if he were playing beside Dirk. But he's playing beside Smoove. They don't compliment each other, but they get by. Something has to change because this is part of our flaw.

A Power Forward and Center that can run the fast break and get alot of assist, rebounds and defense from feeding off each other. Seems like they compliment each other just fine. But I do agree that we need a taller yet athletic big to compliment those two.

I agree with about everything you stated but this portion. I do think they compliment each other fairly well. I think they both do a decent job of defending their positions. I think the fact they both can handle the ball and get up and down the floor on the break makes them somewhat of a special combo. I don't think they compliment all that well in half court offense because they both need to be pretty much on the block to score. I think they would be a better combo if Josh could develop the 10-12 ft shot Horford has, but as far as 4/5 combos in the league, I think they are one of the better ones.

Sorry I read this later and wrote too soon. As far as your beginning statements go, I agree.

I liked McGee alot during that Wiz game. Dude has the athleticism to fit in with our roster, but also he size and hustle we need at that position. Just imagine a rotation of him Horf and Smoove in the paint. We would absolutley dominate the glass. I was watching the game thinking "I wonder if Sund is seeing what I am in McGee". If we could package some marginal payers for him this offseason, I'd be stoked!

yup..i been saying this since last yr. Hawks are too small. Woody gonna have to play Collins more in the playoffs because most teams will beat us inside. Collins doesnt have to play much except when we face the Cavs, and Magic. No way we can bang inside with just Horford and Smith. I expect to see more Zaza and Collins in the playoffs

A Power Forward and Center that can run the fast break and get alot of assist, rebounds and defense from feeding off each other. Seems like they compliment each other just fine. But I do agree that we need a taller yet athletic big to compliment those two.

Diesel might have a strong point, one that we have known for years but point nonetheless. We need size or strength at the Center position, to compliment Horford or Smith. I mentioned it before, if we lose JJ, we need to trade Smith for an elite PG. It's possible because an elite PG's value is near Smith's. The elite PG's is not known to win titles. Smith could be that #2 or #3 who dominates on defense for a team and helps them get to the finals. He has huge value since he finally is playing his role. Horford value is huge too, even bigger since he's very similar to Karl Malone. No doubt Al could be one of the best players to ever play the game if given an elite PG.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Diesel might have a strong point, one that we have known for years but point nonetheless. We need size or strength at the Center position, to compliment Horford or Smith. I mentioned it before, if we lose JJ, we need to trade Smith for an elite PG....

I sort of agree sup...but can only hope that if we are gonna lose JJ we can at least pull off a S-n-T and get a decent PG for the effort (fingers crossed).

• Premium Member

It sounds worrisome until you realize that Horford routinely kicks the sh!t out of 7-footers. In the modern NBA, strength and athleticism are more important than having a couple inches in height at the center position.

Horford is an All-Star. McGee is a scrub and, as someone who watched him every night in Washington when I lived there, I'm pretty confident that he always will be a scrub. He has no offensive skills, can get outmuscled by my 10-year old sister, and has some of the worst on-ball defensive instincts I've ever seen in the post. I'll take Horford over him 5345 days a week.