• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Best Closer Every...

Diesel

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

I don't know how many of you saw Gentry's quote about Kobe being the best closer ever.

I have to think about it . I would like to have a poll...

Who is the best closer of all time (in the NBA).

Edited by Diesel

• Premium Member

Michael Jordan for both.

I have seen Jordan hit some big shots, but I don't know if he's the most clutch. Robert Horry and Reggie Miller has to get some props.

As a Closer though, Kobe ain't got nothing on Jordan. If the Bulls were up, Jordan brought his closing shoes and that was it.

Jordan vs. Magic vs. Bird vs. Kobe vs. Kareem vs. Russell is definitely a good conversation for Closing. I guess Russell would be eliminated because of his poor FT shooting. As we Hawks fans no all too well, Bird had something a little special when it came to closing out. I think Kobe is a strong closer, but I wouldn't know how to rank him against Bird and Johnson.

• 3 weeks later...

I voted for Jordan for best closer.

I voted Bird for best clutch shooter but Reggie is right up there. Something about clutch shooting in the NBA Finals put Bird over the top for me. Bird could also create his own shot better then Miller..............Miller relied on others to set him up.

Kobe recently tied Jordan with 26 game winning shots. I believe the definition for that is a made shot that gives you the lead as long as that possession started with 24 seconds or less in the game.

Example:

Even if you make the shot to give your team the lead with 10 seconds left in he game, and your team wins, it counts as a game winning shot as along as the possesion started with 24 seconds or less.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

I voted for Jordan for best closer.

I voted Bird for best clutch shooter but Reggie is right up there. Something about clutch shooting in the NBA Finals put Bird over the top for me. Bird could also create his own shot better then Miller..............Miller relied on others to set him up.

Kobe recently tied Jordan with 26 game winning shots. I believe the definition for that is a made shot that gives you the lead as long as that possession started with 24 seconds or less in the game.

Example:

Even if you make the shot to give your team the lead with 10 seconds left in he game, and your team wins, it counts as a game winning shot as along as the possesion started with 24 seconds or less.

I would be very curious to see the total number of attempts in addition to makes meeting that criteria. I don't believe for a second that Kobe is nearly as reliable in the clutch as MJ. The 82games clutch shooting stats sure don't support that.

Kobe and Miller

This is one of those which player do you like better threads that never get the answer, just what I prefer.

I would be very curious to see the total number of attempts in addition to makes meeting that criteria. I don't believe for a second that Kobe is nearly as reliable in the clutch as MJ. The 82games clutch shooting stats sure don't support that.

Ya..........Jordan had no problem setting up snipers like John Paxon, Steve Kerr, or Craig Hodges for an open jumper either.

Also.........Jordan's Bulls probably had more blow out wins then Kobe's Lakers.

I would be interested to see who had the most shot attempts in game winning situations between the two and who was more efficient by way of clutch FG % and assists.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

Here is an older statistical analysis showing Kobe to be pretty unimpressive in game winning shot opportunities.

http://www.82games.com/random12.htm

During this time, Kobe took more potential game winning shots than any other player in the league. He hit 7 of 32 attempts and generated 9 free throw attempts. By way of comparison, Paul Pierce shot 7 for 20 and generated 10 free throw attempts. I would love to be able to cherry pick a best closer of all time candidate to square off 100 times against Kobe. I would win so much money off of Laker fans that it would be ridiculous.

The other stats don't show him blowing it up late in the game either.

This year, in 4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points - Kobe is shooting .398 this season with 8 or fewer seconds left on the clock (which is 82games' "crunch" time statistic):

http://www.82games.com/0910/09LAL5.HTM#clutch

In the playoffs during his MVP year last season, Kobe shot 44% from the field in the 4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points.

Again, give me Michael Jordan who I strongly suspect had fewer opportunities for game winners in large part due to better play throughout the game on both ends of the floor which left games out of reach for opponents.