• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

King/Queen of 1st Round NCAA Upsets!

DJlaysitup

I'ts 'March Madness' and time for the 4th (or 5th?) annual 'King of the 1st Round Upsets' contest!!

We have a new twist this year - an actual PRIZE. In the past it was only for bragging rights but participation has been down so I'm spicing it up a bit. The winner will get a (basically new - I've only wore it twice) HAWKS hat - white on white - with a Smoove signature.

OK here's how the game works:

In all NCAA tourneys there are always 1st round upsets. You get to pick 10 upsets (out of 32 games - play-in game doesn't count)..."playin doesn't count" means if you want to pick against Duke you get whichever team wins the play-in game, therefore, you can post your entry up until tipoff of the 1st game in the regular 1st round.

If your upset comes true you get the amount of points of your upset seed. So, if you pick an 11 to beat a 6 (and they win) you get 11 points. If you pick a 9 to beat an 8 you only get 9 points. No points for lost games of course....most total points win.

The tourney only lasts for the 1st round (two days). You can only pick a maximum of 10 upsets. So pay attention on who is hot and who is not. Entries are by postings - no entries after the start of the real 1st round.

One entry per Squawker please biggrin.gif

(Note, please disregard the threads I posted in the "Lounge" and "Other Sports" to drum up interest and post your entries here...thanks.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'll get it started - DJ's entry:

#9 Northern Iowa over #8 UNLV

#10 Ga. Tech over #7 Oklahoma State

#12 UTEP over #5 Butler

#13 Murray State over #4 Vanderbilt

#12 Cornell over #5 Temple

#11 Washington over #6 Marquette

#10 Missouri over #7 Clemson

#9 Louisville over #8 California

#13 Sienna over #4 Purdue

#10 Saint Marys over #7 Richmond

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Good luck to all line%20dance.gif (note to moderators - feel free to move this if you want)

oops...P.S. - if there is a tie, the winner will be the person who picked the biggest upset. If it's still a tie after that I'll just keep the hat biggrin.gif . (Kinda like the green (house) spot on a roulette wheel)

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Moderators

#15 Morgan State over #2 West Virginia

#14 Oakland over #3 Pittsburgh

#13 Wofford over #4 Wisconsin

#13 Siena over #4 Purdue

#12 Utah State over #5 Texas A&M

#11 San Diego State over #6 Tennessee

#11 Minnesota over #6 Xavier

#10 St. Mary's over #7 Richmond

~lw3

• Moderators

#9 Wake Forest over #8 Texas

#10 Saint Marys over #7 Richmond

#11 San Diego St over #6 Tennessee

#12 Utah St over #5 Texas A&M

#12 UTEP over #5 Butler

#13 Murray State over #4 Vanderbilt

Just for fun, here are the President's upset picks from his bracket I saw online:

(O'Bama's picks)

#9 UNI over #8 UNLV

#10 GT over #7 Oky State

#9 FSU over #8 Gonzaga

#13 Murray State over #4 Vandy

#10 St. Marys over #7 Richmond

#10 Florida over #7 BYU

#10 Georgia Tech over #7 Oklahoma St.

#9 Florida State over #8 Gonzaga

#12 UTEP over #5 Butler

#11 Washington over #6 Marquette

#10 St. Mary's over #7 Richmond

#13 Siena over #4 Purdue

#9 Wake Forest over #8 Texas

#10 Florida over #7 BYU

Good news/bad news for me....

Good News: nobody picked Ohio over Georgetown (Ohio over Georgetown???) Well it's only halftime but Ohio (who?) is up by 12 at the half.

Bad News: in D's Yahoo brackets I picked Georgetown to win the dang tournament (LOL)...not so good cant%20believe.gif

P.S. - D took the early lead with ODU - but whassup D - you trying to win with only seven bullets?

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

Good news/bad news for me....

Good News: nobody picked Ohio over Georgetown (Ohio over Georgetown???) Well it's only halftime but Ohio (who?) is up by 12 at the half.

Bad News: in D's Yahoo brackets I picked Georgetown to win the dang tournament (LOL)...not so good cant%20believe.gif

P.S. - D took the early lead with ODU - but whassup D - you trying to win with only seven bullets?

If you'll notice..

In my bracket, I actually picked my upsets.

It's not a game if there's nothing to play for.

If you'll notice..

In my bracket, I actually picked my upsets.

It's not a game if there's nothing to play for.

Not sure what you mean - there is an actual prize in this contest...picking seven possible upsets (versus ten for the rest of us) puts you at a disadvantage...but who knows? Good Luck!

University of Northern Iowa over UNLV.... (times sure change don't they?)...can you imagine we all picked UNI over UNLV? I didn't even know there was a University of Northern Iowa until they joined the Missouri Valley Conference.

LW3 - ding

AHF - ding

DJ - ding

TD10 - ding

northcyde - ding

Edited by DJlaysitup

Tough luck on the Hoyas! I had BYU in my final four and lost all my fingernails this afternoon.

~lw3

Thanks for the sympathy lw3...I'm ahead so far in this contest but it really doesn't matter because my upsets were mostly early 1st day. You have SDSU vs Tenn - a good chance. I'll post the 1st day numbers once the games are done tonight

Un-Official Halftime Scores:

AHF: UNI (9), Saint Marys (10), Murray State (13). Wake (9) ...halftime total = .....41

DJ: UNI (9), Murray State (13), Washington (11), St. Mary's (10)....halftime total = ..43

TD10: Washington (11), St. Mary's (10), UNI (9), Wake (9).....halftime total = ...39

Diesel: ODU (11).......11

LW3: UNi (9), St.Mary's (10)...halftime total = ...19

Northcyce: Murray State (13), UNI, (9)...halftime total = ..22

Lot's more to go line%20dance.gif